Moving Stove

Tonyhair

Featured Posts

Thinking about moving my Morso stove from a central location to one side of the forward door, whilst I am aware that I can replace the internal roof panel, is it possible to fill and make good the hole where the chimney was. NB located in Audlem....any recommendations to do the job.

Edited by Tonyhair

Just a thought - when I had a boat where the stove was in the location you are planning to move yours to, I desperately wished it was actually installed somewhere close(ish) to the middle of the boat!

In my view a (roughly) centrally installed stove can heat a boat of considerable length with no need for radiators, but placed at one end there will be a large temperature gradient down the boat that even the very highest specced "Ecofan" can not solve. (For clarity the last bit of that sentence is tongue in cheek!)

If you have a choice of which side of the front doorway to install it, make sure it is on the left hand side of the boat. Because we pass other boats on the right of the cut, a chimney installed on the right is far more likely to get damaged on vegetation, bridges or tunnels than one on the left. (Guess which side ours was on :lol:).

I've just moved mine from beside the front doors to a more central location. I am going to fix a plate on the inside of the old flue hole then fill the outside with filler.

Too much filler is not a good idea, especially on a boat roof.

Why not secure the piece of metal you cut out to make new stove hole to a plate and then secure the plate as you were going to, this will leave a very small round channel to fill, or fill with weld and grind smooth.

I think the others are probably correct. Stoves are often installed at or moved to one end of the boat for reasons of space saving or convenience in terms of carrying wood or coal scuttles from outside. While that's all understandable, the primary thing to bear in mind when installing a stove is the efficiency of its primary function - i.e. heating.

When I moved one of my stoves on the barge I left the collar in place and bought a new collar for the new location. A lamp post cap I found in a pub car park fits nicely as a lid on the old collar:)

This means if I want to put the stove back where it was before at any point it's a straightforward job. Another option would be to put a mushroom vent over the 'ole but it would need to be a bit oversize or have an adapter plate. or perhaps a solar fan ventilator could be fitted.

I have a relaxed attitude towards holes in top of boat :lol: the real reason I didn't move the original collar is it was too well fitted to get it out ;)