Nature thread??

craftycarper

Featured Posts

your still in a very small minority, just to have seen one, out of interest are they any worse than any other deer in the tree munching department, and do they do more or less damage than squirrels

A real problem when any numbers are around but good fencing and/or hunting will control them

personally as an somewhat ex tree climber squirrels are worse, many bum twitching moments climbing above areas of stripped bark, plus having the little buggers barking and shouting whilst throwing acorns at me

A real problem when any numbers are around but good fencing and/or hunting will control them

personally as an somewhat ex tree climber squirrels are worse, many bum twitching moments climbing above areas of stripped bark, plus having the little buggers barking and shouting whilst throwing acorns at me

on a brighter note they do taste quite nice, and nothing is more likely to push them back than when they become favoured food, I am seeing squirrel for sale at a few farmers markets and even an upmarket butcher in the middle of town sells them, he's even offered to buy some from me if I acquire the correct defra ticket, see this is why we should have a nature section

I have a nature story just a few hours old.

Walking back to boat saw something plop into water on offside and swimming to towpath. Turned out to be a squirrel that had no chance of climbing armco after a few goes. I pulled a thin twig from the hedge and he climbed up if while I was holding it steady.

Edited by valrene9600

I have a nature story just a few hours old.

Walking back to boat saw something plop into water on offside and swimming to towpath. Turned out to be a squirrel that had no chance of climbing armco after a few goes. I pulled a thin twig from the hedge and he climbed up if while I was holding it steady.

nice things like that brighten up an otherwise dull day

I saw a kestrel today, doing that hovering thing they do whilst lining up for a kill. Not that unusual but the sun was behind him and shining through his tail feathers. Beautiful striations highlighted.

Well he might have been a sparrowhawk...

I saw a kestrel today, doing that hovering thing they do whilst lining up for a kill. Not that unusual but the sun was behind him and shining through his tail feathers. Beautiful striations highlighted.

Well he might have been a sparrowhawk...

Beautiful........ and if hovering, almost certainly a kestrel.

Rog

Yes deffly hovering, like a geostationary satellite!

But I thought sparrerhawks did the same thing...

My understanding is that the 'suspended on a wire' type hoverer is the kestrel. As Stuart Lancaster would no doubt say "It's their point of difference".

PS note the topical Rugby World Cup reference :)

Rog

Well at Litherland services area last week i spent over half hour blocking off canal with the boat trying to force a dog in the water to the side of the canal , with the floating weeds tangled round its legs it was becoming tired and the girl walking the dog before it jumped into the water decided she herself would now have to jump into the water to get the dog , half way across she was panting for breath and trying tto describe how cold she was , warned her not to go in , the dog just swam away from her anyway , onother move to block canal 500 yards forward where thankfully the reeds and weeds stopped and the dog then was able to swim right up to a towpath wall and get grabbed out by the skin around its neck , it was not happy getting lifted by the scruff and made several attempts to bite the lad who had come foreward to help.

Glad to get away because i was getting worried at one point that i was far to old to go in the cut if the girl went awol.

The highlights of our summer trip were 5 buzzards soaring above Tixall Wide, a kingfisher that stayed on its branch as we cruised past it and, best of all, a large flock of lapwings at Alrewas.

Last time I saw a kestrel close up was on our patio having been chased into the patio doors by a flock of magpies.

"Save it Mum" quoth daughter, "have you seen that beak and claws?" retorted mother.

Lunch for the foxes unfortunately.

Edited by Dyertribe