Winter moorings in marinas.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

The Moomins are starting to plan for the next stage of our boating career, which involves renting out our house and living full time on Melaleuca. We're already spending 8-9 months on board, so being live-aboards is something we know about and can do. We could probably hack it living on the towpath 12 months if we have to, but it might be good to have a winter mooring with shore power and water supply and elsan which can be used without having to move the boat.

I've seen marinas offering winter mooring packages, but it's not clear if they allow residence on the boat for the 3-4 months they cover, or if it's just boat storage. Does anyone have experience of this? I'm interested in costs and which marinas (or other mooring venues) are worth approaching.

MP.

The Moomins are starting to plan for the next stage of our boating career, which involves renting out our house and living full time on Melaleuca. We're already spending 8-9 months on board, so being live-aboards is something we know about and can do. We could probably hack it living on the towpath 12 months if we have to, but it might be good to have a winter mooring with shore power and water supply and elsan which can be used without having to move the boat.

I've seen marinas offering winter mooring packages, but it's not clear if they allow residence on the boat for the 3-4 months they cover, or if it's just boat storage. Does anyone have experience of this? I'm interested in costs and which marinas (or other mooring venues) are worth approaching.

MP.

I am no expert but as it happens I have had my boat in Evesham Marina for 1 week while I went to my Mother. They are offering winter moorings with all the facilities for £200 per month and yes you can livaboard

If you are in a marina for no longer than a 3 or 4 month period, then as far as officialdom of any sort is concerned you are not living there permanently, since they tend to measure such things over a long period of time. i.e. spending 25-33% of the year in the marina does not constitute living there.

I am no expert but as it happens I have had my boat in Evesham Marina for 1 week while I went to my Mother. They are offering winter moorings with all the facilities for £200 per month and yes you can livaboard

Wow that works out cheaper than the flippin CRT £13.50 per mtr winter moorings with NO facilities!!

Mercia's planning deal means that you can occupy your boat for up to six months without having to be on one of their residential moorings. So you can spend three or four months there over the winter no bother.

Ours is 11 months out of 12. It really isn't difficult to have a month away from your berth to satisfy this requirement.