Oil pressure

Alan Ashe

Featured Posts

Did it have pressure then suddenly lose pressure ?

The 5 litres has gone somewhere, if not in the sump then the next obvious place is in the bilge, have you checked there ?

According to the manual below , the sump capacity is 5.4 litres so I would expect the 5 litres to register on the dip stick.

http://www.boatservicehaarlem.nl/lister_man.pdf

It can be very difficult to see new oil on a dipstick.

if you clean it so it's dry and then rub chalk from the top line to the bottom of the stick and try it you'll see if there is a level or not.

No oil pressure at all could be a faulty pressure guage.

Slacken off the feeder pipe where it goes into the dial.and see if oil comes out but be ready with a load of kitchen paper to catch it if it does and have somebody standing by the engine stop.

If you really have no oil pressure it might be the oil pump or big end shells worn out.

Oil pump means engine out probably as it sits in the bottom of the sump.

Running a an engine without lube oil would not be a good thing.

Just a thought, you do have the right dipstick don't you?

Yes going along then engine died iv put new fuel filter added another 5 litres oil checked all over can't see any leeks dipstick dry, oil in bottom of boat am i doing something wrong

Yes going along then engine died iv put new fuel filter added another 5 litres oil checked all over can't see any leeks dipstick dry, oil in bottom of boat am i doing something wrong

You really need to address and answer the questions posed so far.

It's really hard to lose 5 whole litres of oil, but new oil is transparent and will not easily show up on a dipstick. Hence the advice to lay the apparently dry dipstick on a tissue. Have you done this? What was the result?

"oil in bottom of boat", the bottom of the boat is the bilge, do you mean there is oil in the bilge ?

That would explain where the oil has gone. If it is you will need to investigate why it has ended up there. You could try putting some more oil in and seeing where the leak is I suppose.

Edited by Bloomsberry

Alan,

Are you the young man we met the other day moored on the southern edge of Milton Keynes? We are on the red Wide Beam and you got a jug of water from us? We recommended this forum to you as there are loads of fellows (and gals) who know the ins and outs of the old style engines.

If so, is the boat still in the same location? There maybe some kind forum member who is local to the area that knows about that type of engine and would be able to come have a look at it for you.

Edited by Bettie Boo

Yes that's me thx for the water and this site address been most helpful I'm going pull the boat down near willow bridge marina and get someone to have a look, as usual on a boat all about the money in the mean time any kindly mechanic reading this lol is more than welcome to come for a coffee an a look lol