Ropes cut in Birmigham last night.

madcat

Featured Posts

Sorry, I was referring to using heat shrink to protect the ends of ropes. Using ordinary heat shrink is fine for what Nicknorman has suggested.

In fact I used adhesive heat shrink. I have a couple of bags of various sizes of it on the boat, bought from eBay at non-silly prices!

Roll synthetic ends under hot yer boot looks more professional and smooth. Mucking about with heat shrink looks amateurish and will wear off.

Our ropes came like this from the boatbuilder (Ed: I mean with heat shrink). I wouldn't say it looks unprofessional. But the heat shrink over the tail ends of the rope, and the (smaller) heat shrink over the spliced strands on the eye splices, are still entirely intact after nearly 5 years so whilst it no doubt will wear off eventually, it will take a long time in doing so. Edited by nicknorman

In fact I used adhesive heat shrink. I have a couple of bags of various sizes of it on the boat, bought from eBay at non-silly prices!

Our ropes came like this from the boatbuilder (Ed: I mean with heat shrink). I wouldn't say it looks unprofessional. But the heat shrink over the tail ends of the rope, and the (smaller) heat shrink over the spliced strands on the eye splices, are still entirely intact after nearly 5 years so whilst it no doubt will wear off eventually, it will take a long time in doing so.

It certainly is available at sensible prices but anyone buying heat shrink for the first time should beware of those that sell it in short lengths needed for a single rope rather than by the metre.

It certainly is available at sensible prices but anyone buying heat shrink for the first time should beware of those that sell it in short lengths needed for a single rope rather than by the metre.

Alternatively just learn to do whipping - it's pretty easy, lasts longer and looks better!

• Greenie 1

I quite fancy a bash at bellringing.

Presumably it involves a commitment to turn up on Sunday mornings though, prime boating time...

It is appreciated when you can do Sundays but it is not compulsory. My home group does just the first Sunday of the month for those that can make it. Practice night is every Wednesday.

To save me searching do you have to use rope to tie up?

Well I suppose if your batteries are up to it and you have enough solar panels, then in the summer months at least, you could use large electromagnets to clamp your boat to the steel piling, if you didn't want to use ropes.

I'd LURVE to be able to splice.

I see plenty of courses on fender making but never any on splicing. Maybe it's too easy for a trainging course but I've never found it so when trying using books.

Blimey, even I've done a bit of splicing and I'm strictly a non-traditionalist!

I've spliced a rope to an anchor chain and spliced loops in ropes, all learned from a pocket knots and spices book.

To save me searching do you have to use rope to tie up?

Not always. I have seen boats moored with those ratchet strap things like they use on wagons. Usually when permanently moored. Chains are sometimes used too. Rope seems most logical when the boat is being moved frequently.

Edited by Guest

Well I suppose if your batteries are up to it and you have enough solar panels, then in the summer months at least, you could use large electromagnets to clamp your boat to the steel piling, if you didn't want to use ropes.

In dodgy places I use a couple of plastic coated steel cables looped together and padlocked to the centre ring on the roof. Assuming of course that there's something to put them though on the bank. If not the other method is two mooring stakes hammered in and crossing each other at opposing 45 degree angles, then padlocked together. Steel cable goes underneath both. Never actually done that one myself but it's there for future reference.

We are also moored in Llangollen Basin . You would have thought it was a safe place to moor with plenty of other boats in the basin, safety in numbers .. Never heard of mooring ropes being burnt before and am slightly concerned as this could have ended up with the boat on fire. Hope this has been reported to the Police as surely it is arson.