Atherstone - what is notable about this picture?!

archie57

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

There was at least one of them in working order around 12-15 years ago. I used it. 5th lock down I think. The one with the bridge and lock house.

That was working(and used by me on every passage)until 2018 when CRT locked it off and said it was for water control use by CRT personnel only.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That was working(and used by me on every passage)until 2018 when CRT locked it off and said it was for water control use by CRT personnel only.

My immediate thought was that it was in operation 5-7 years ago, but one gets to an age when one's mind has a habit of getting these things wrong. That's why I was a bit more generous in my estimation.

On 17/03/2021 at 17:27, burrayboy said:

Thanks For your reply, in that case one area has turned into a pick nick area, the other is rather less obvious.

Tim 

Such a shame these cottages are now gone. Any idea when these photos were taken and are there any more of the Atherstone flight?

2 hours ago, Stuart E said:

Such a shame these cottages are now gone. Any idea when these photos were taken and are there any more of the Atherstone flight?

They were taken by my father about 1961. I don't think I've got any more I'm afraid.  Many canalside cottages have disappeared, mainly because of no road access, as here at Atherstone

On 29/08/2015 at 02:12, saltysplash said:

So somebody started by nicking all the telegraph wires and the eventually went the whole hog and nicked the poles as well!

Cant leave anything lying around, tut!

The cadmium copper overhead wires were gradually recovered or otherwise  removed from the mid 1950's. The poles were recovered, chopped down piecemeal after that. Although some of the poles remained for a while, until the early 1990's, carrying an aerial cable route from Atherston to Mancetter Quarry. 

The route was originally erected around the late 1860's.

This pole is all that remains of the trunk route, between bridges 25-26 on the Coventry Canal.

2059764_5cfcda36.jpg

Cov Canal Heartshill-Atherstone 477 Telegraph Trunk LineCRT Archive .jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, archie57 said:

They were taken by my father about 1961. I don't think I've got any more I'm afraid.  Many canalside cottages have disappeared, mainly because of no road access, as here at Atherstone

Thanks for that. I thought the road access must have been the main reason for their demise. I expect they had trouble getting people to live in them and they became derelict. Now, I'm guessing there could have been a market for them, for those who want that bit of isolation.

22 hours ago, Ray T said:

The cadmium copper overhead wires were gradually recovered or otherwise  removed from the mid 1950's. The poles were recovered, chopped down piecemeal after that. Although some of the poles remained for a while, until the early 1990's, carrying an aerial cable route from Atherston to Mancetter Quarry. 

The route was originally erected around the late 1860's.

This pole is all that remains of the trunk route, between bridges 25-26 on the Coventry Canal.

2059764_5cfcda36.jpg

Cov Canal Heartshill-Atherstone 477 Telegraph Trunk LineCRT Archive .jpg

I wonder where this telegraph trunk route started and ended?

17 hours ago, Stuart E said:

I wonder where this telegraph trunk route started and ended?

It started in Coventry, probably at the original telephone exchange above the Post Office in Hertford Street,  following the route of the Coventry Canal possibly going to Fazeley Junction where it may have branched off to Birmingham.

Plans and dates are now particularly difficult to find, believe me I've tried. When The GPO / Post Office Telephones became British Telecom / BT the historical records which were thrown out was unbelievable. It wasn't just the bath water and the baby, the bath went as well.

One  advantage is that wayleaves would be easier to obtain from Canal Companies. Only one wayleave agreement per canal company as opposed to multiple, hence more expensive, from local / highway authorities.

There were other routes between Coventry and Birmingham but if you diversify the routes and one gets damaged you still have the others.

An example of overhead routes from a city telephone exchange, 1907, Avenue Exchange in London.

exchderrick02avenueexch1907.jpg

Coventry Canal telegraph.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Diddly - dah, diddly - dum, the rising and falling of telephone lines as seen from a railway carriage en route to Southend Victoria. Holiday memories circa 1952.

Doors slamming, whistle blowing, flag waving, smoke and steam drifting through trackside trees. Rush to the front to feel the engines heat and smell, blue and cream buses instead of red. Rossi's ice cream! Pier trains rythmically beating time over rail joints, the smell of the gas works when the wind blew the 'wrong' way. Not long ago.

• Greenie 2

Ah, Derek if you are off down memory lane.

During WW2 my dad was posted to Wick Airdrome where he subsequently met and married my mum.

Fast forward to the mid late 1950’s. We’d go by train every alternate year to visit my grandmother. The first of many  trains would leave Rugby Station at 8.00pm on a Friday usually hauled by a Princess Coronation. We’d finally arrive at Wick the following day at 5.00pm. The trains from Inverness to Wick were hauled by Black 5’s.

All memories you mentioned above come flooding back.

In 1998 the Scottish Rail Preservation Society arranged for a steam run from Inverness to Wick and Thurso return with an overnight stay at Wick. I got tickets for myself and children.

At one point whilst leaning out of the carriage taking photo’s all the years drifted away and in my head I was a little boy again breathing in that smoke and steam along with the obligatory face full of smuts.

Photo's approaching Helmsdale on the journey south.

Ah happy days.

Helmsdale River.jpg

Approaching Helmsdale.jpg

(22) Nightmail (1936). - YouTube

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Ray T said:

It started in Coventry, probably at the original telephone exchange above the Post Office in Hertford Street,  following the route of the Coventry Canal possibly going to Fazeley Junction where it may have branched off to Birmingham.

I have memories of the late 60s of trying to telephone my girlfriend in the South of England from Loughborough and getting the recorded message that "All lines through Coventry are engaged - please try again later." 

19 hours ago, Ray T said:

Plans and dates are now particularly difficult to find, believe me I've tried. When The GPO / Post Office Telephones became British Telecom / BT the historical records which were thrown out was unbelievable. It wasn't just the bath water and the baby, the bath went as well.

There are L&LC Co deeds which CRT should hold relating to telephone wires along the towpath, the first dating from 1883, though I feel sure that I have see earlier mentions in the company minutes.