Atherstone - what is notable about this picture?!

archie57

Featured Posts

There is also another house on the left of the shot now...

Plus the one on the right has some interesting people in, one chap who likes to come out and ask how the locks work, every time..... then he proceeds to tell you how they remind him of old guns, and how much he loves guns, scary!

It's the first picture I've seen of centre paddles at Atherstone - no boater I've talked to could ever remember them. I dare say there must be a record somewhere of when the side ponds were constructed......

I have no idea when Atherstone side ponds were constructed possiby around the time of building the canal as a teen ager in the early 1950's the lower locks below Baddersly Basin the side ponds still worked, although I cannot remember any of the comercial boats using them, the lock keeper /lengthsmanthat lived in the lock cottage near the bottom of the flight did an excellent job of maintaining the locks/towpath etc up to the basin ( I think the Keeper in the toplock cottage was responsible for the basin up to the top), but as all the locks had gate paddles/were well maintained & not much leakage it would be a much swifter passage than it is today; from memory the loaded Pooley Hall boats seemed to take very little time to get up the flight; again if the lock keeper saw/heard them approaching he would hop on his bike & set the locks for them.

The house has been altered quite a lot on the ground floor - extra windows etc. I had to check several details to be sure it hadn't been extended.

The two photos are quite miss leading arn't they, makes the house look much larger in the alter image, but infact its appears the only real change is the one extra window by the door.

Daniel

Here are some images from http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ They show the lock and the side ponds.

To be able to zoom in on images and see many canal pictures all over the country you must sign in. Just an e mail and password is all you need to set up acct. No hassle with signing up.

post-481-0-23239900-1441024441_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-41877000-1441024468.jpg

post-481-0-79812000-1441024706_thumb.jpg

The last one shows the entrance to the basin by the top lock. All dated 1930`s.

remember sign in to zoom or just view images as published (not good). Try nipping around the country for some good canal images.(use browse function)

Here`s the close up of basin entrance.

post-481-0-36882300-1441025079_thumb.jpg

I had to zoom then cut and paste.

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, burrayboy said:

Hi could you say which No locks these were on please

thanks Tim.

These houses were second  and fourth from the bottom. You can still see (- or could last time I was there!) the  brick paving to them from the lockside

31 minutes ago, archie57 said:

These houses were second  and fourth from the bottom. You can still see (- or could last time I was there!) the  brick paving to them from the lockside

Thanks For your reply, in that case one area has turned into a pick nick area, the other is rather less obvious.

Tim 

On 30/08/2015 at 14:24, Joseph said:

Hello

Does anyone know when the side ponds were taken out of use? I recall at least some of these working in 1965.

Regards

J

There was at least one of them in working order around 12-15 years ago. I used it. 5th lock down I think. The one with the bridge and lock house.

Edited by monkeyhanger
Added info.