Novice river users

Darren72

Featured Posts

A river which looks quite mild and unthreatening from the back of a boat,can soon get you in trouble when you are in the water.Although there is no legal requirement to wear a lifejacket,it is sensible to wear one in any situation where it might save your life if you end up in the water .I always wear one on rivers,because I feel comfortable doing so..On the subject of anchors,I use 28 metres of 5/16 chain,rather than anchor,chain and warp.Probably over the top,but I know how much strain is on an anchor warp in a strong flow .Following advice on this forum,I fitted a twin filter system(plus secondary filter on the engine) Cost a tenner to add the water trap filter to the system.

Yes,chain only. Normal practice when we had a sea going boat.If the boat is more than about 25ft a chain winch would usualy be fitted.which works with a chain Our boat has an Isuzu 42 which has a fuel filter on the engine.One additional filter is a standard series Landrover unit which takes a CROSSLAND 522 or equivalent.The water separator is basicaly the same unit fitted with a deep bowl at the bottom and fitted with a Mann and Hummel filter.We have broken many tractors and Land Rovers so have these items to hand,but should be available from any Landrover breaker for a tenner.

Yes,chain only. Normal practice when we had a sea going boat.If the boat is more than about 25ft a chain winch would usualy be fitted.which works with a chain .................

I am amazed - we have had sea-going boats for 30 years and I do not recall ever seeing a boat without an anchor (relying on only chain).

As you previously stated the anchoring loads are enormous and I just don't see how a chain (without a hook on the end) would hold you.

On further consideration I think that maybe you don't actually mean what you wrote :

"..On the subject of anchors, I use 28 metres of 5/16 chain,rather than anchor,chain and warp"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I am amazed - we have had sea-going boats for 30 years and I do not recall ever seeing a boat without an anchor (relying on only chain).

As you previously stated the anchoring loads are enormous and I just don't see how a chain (without a hook on the end) would hold you.

I read it as meaning that he has only chain between the anchor and the boat, no rope, which sounds to be exactly what we have, 10kg Delta anchor, chain, then a small piece of webbing strap connecting the chain to the boat in case it needs to be cut free.

I read it as meaning that he has only chain between the anchor and the boat, no rope, which sounds to be exactly what we have, 10kg Delta anchor, chain, then a small piece of webbing strap connecting the chain to the boat in case it needs to be cut free.

As I said, on further consideration, I'm sure you are right.

Similarly, we have a 20kg CQR, 150 feet of 10mm chain with the bitter end attached in the chain locker. In the bow locker we have a spare 15gk CQR anchor and 100 foot of chain.

All chain may be fine for marine anchoring purposes, but I'd suggest not for a Narrowboat. The function of an anchor in a Narrowboat is essentially as an emergency brake to be deployed on rivers in case of a propulsion or steering gear failure. Whilst the chain is effective in assisting the anchor to set and hold, a length of warp is necessary to allow stretch to absorb the shock when it does.

As I understand it,the weight of an anchor chain makes the chain sag. Thus,when a load is applied,the "curve" in the chain provides a shock absorber effect.There should be no direct pull on the anchor.The same principle applies when a length of chain is placed between an anchor and a warp. What would worry me is using a warp of insufficient length and insufficient strength to stop a heavy boat in a strong stream.The anchor is a last resort if you are in trouble and you need it to work.

All chain may be fine for marine anchoring purposes, but I'd suggest not for a Narrowboat. The function of an anchor in a Narrowboat is essentially as an emergency brake to be deployed on rivers in case of a propulsion or steering gear failure. Whilst the chain is effective in assisting the anchor to set and hold, a length of warp is necessary to allow stretch to absorb the shock when it does.

I'd rather use the energy of a drifting boat to lift a length of chain than stretch a rope.ohmy.png

That said, however, both Gamebird and Kelpie have rope and chain anchor warps.

I'd rather use the energy of a drifting boat to lift a length of chain than stretch a rope.ohmy.png

That said, however, both Gamebird and Kelpie have rope and chain anchor warps.

Oh I agree entirely, but what always seems (to me) to be missed when the subject of anchoring a Narrowboat is that it's unlikely to be whilst one has lunch or takes the dinghy to the pub. Rather, it's likely to be deployed whilst helplessly travelling downstream without power or steerage in an uncontrolled 'Chuck it and hope' fashion to avoid fetching up on that nasty looking wier. For that to work, you need a shock absorber in addition to the chain. Getting the anchor back is a low priority bonus for later on.

After 7+ years of the cut we wanna start chugging on rivers after failing to use the Avon while at Stratford this month:-(. We have done the tiny bits like at Alrewas but they dont count. We are on the Ashby so we arent that close to any rivers. Where can we start and what do we need? Licence, anchor etc. not to bothered about tidal rivers. At the moment.

Well the Avon would have been a good start!

Lovely river, and the locks are dead easy if you find another NB to pair up with. This is normally pretty easy at Stratford - just wait in the basin in the morning until somebody starts to move and ask them!

I have used both warp chain and anchor and all chain and anchor configurations and have found that the braking effect of either to be roughly similar for the reasons stated by Seadog and Nebulae.

In the former the warp does the stretching for shock effect and in the latter the weight of the chain curve.

Both systems benefit from the addition of a "chum" in extreme anchoring but only after you get the anchor set.

When it really counts though I prefer all chain simply because of the chafe factor. But that isn't usually a consideration for narrowboat use unless you have to spend a lot of time anchored because of a terminal engine failure