Ofcom release Mobile Signal map

matty40s

Featured Posts

Ofcom have released a mobile signal map to give an indication of what strength signal you should expect in a particular location. This has been devised with ALL the mobile phone operators providing data and also by Ofcom carrying out tests.

The map gives outdoor and indoor signal reliability, and you can give feedback if you feel the data is incorrect for your area. (you may have to state that you live in a faraday cage and are in a bedroom with 5" portholesdetective.gif )

My phone is currently showing 4g for my location, the nearest place with green shading(reliable signal) is over 3 miles away!!

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Hilariously, the whole of the Braunston Black Hole is shown as "good coverage for calls and texts likely" for all of the networks...

Couple of years ago I would have agreed but now I get a very good signal on EE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As with all these 'maps' they cover an area and there will always be spots where a signal is not obtainable.

I have proved many times that moving the phone/dongle only 1 metre can make a significant difference to the signal received.

Thanks Matty - very useful (assuming reasonably accurate). I currently use Opensignal on the phone but mainly to check the signal when I am looking for somewhere to moor. As the "map" relies on input from users there are not many tests on the canals but can give an indication.

I have always found the braunston black hole to be a myth (even when I lived there)

networks I have used there with no problems

Vodafone & Cellnet - voice text only, data was almost unheard of at the time

Virgin mobile (piggybacked on T-Mobile) - voice / text / gprs

Three - voice / text / 3g / 4g (max speed at bottom lock 30mb down / 12mb up)