Things you wouldn't have on boat again.

Featured Posts

Kippers.

Barbecue and consume them off the boat next time...

Had kippers day before yesterday, all cooking utensils, plates etc washed and put away. all rubbish disposed of. Neutradol sprayed......and today I can still smell them sad.png

Kippers.

Barbecue and consume them off the boat next time...

Same goes for mackerel.

Had kippers day before yesterday, all cooking utensils, plates etc washed and put away. all rubbish disposed of. Neutradol sprayed......and today I can still smell them sad.png

We had mackerel at home last night. Same there as well despite having windows open all night rolleyes.gif

It was very nice though.

11960266_1010799835639324_81714157847225

Edited by Naughty Cal

I just have to rope looped back through the splice eye to make a loop that grips the dolly. Doing that on the Thames right now, also do it on the Severn.

Surely that makes the available bit of dolly even less?

Ours have a normal eye splice and then I've put a cable tie through the weave of the rope so they can't pull off

Why would you not have mushroom vents again? And what would you have instead? , I ask because I need to fit a vent and was going to fit a mushroom, out of habit really.

Top Cat

My vents are like the below, they have the advantage in that a rope won't catch on them.

20120903-110008.jpg

A sump type shower emptying thingy-majig. You know the sort that has a float switch at the bottom that always gets stuck and a small bilge type pump that never empties the tray fast enough - so inevitably it overflows into the bilge because the lid is not sealed and you spend half an hour to an hour bailing out the lowest point into a bucket (or three).

Definitely don't want one of them ever again. Give me a gulper every time!

I put an eye spliced loop in the end of the rope, then form a cow hitch in the loop, drop that over the dolly and pull tight. It doesn't come off with a vertical pull.

I did that..a sort of 'hangmans' noose.

Bolters lock..I chucked the rope up as I moved in and someone put it around a lock-side bollard.

The rope started to slip off the boat bollard before it tightened...so I put my foot on it.

It neatly slipped off and around my ankle.

Bearing in mind the boat was still moving forward at the time....my leg gradually went skywards as I frantically reversed !!

• Greenie 2

2014-10-05-11-58-34.jpg

Willow and the other "tree class" Severners have T studs on the counter, so ropes won't come off when tied to high dock walls.

They're not so good for tying to quickly when towing on a long line, and they're harder to use cross straps with.

That is how I would do it another time. Take your point re. towing etc, but we hardly ever do those things.

Surely that makes the available bit of dolly even less?

Ours have a normal eye splice and then I've put a cable tie through the weave of the rope so they can't pull off

The loop does make it take up a lot of the dolly, but I don't see that matters nothing else goes on there you are holding the other end of the rope.

One of the obvious weaknesses being that there are vast numbers of narrow boats produced with stern dollies which are simply the wrong shape.

Look at old workboat dollies. They are a very specific shape.

They do differ but each has its own features and works properly. its not just a machined bit of round bar it is a designed object.

A lot of modern boats have seriously crap dollies.

One of the obvious weaknesses being that there are vast numbers of narrow boats produced with stern dollies which are simply the wrong shape.

Look at old workboat dollies. They are a very specific shape.

They do differ but each has its own features and works properly. its not just a machined bit of round bar it is a designed object.

A lot of modern boats have seriously crap dollies.

Could be part of the problem with ours.

NB Earnest had a T stud conversion to it's rear dollies from new. Rather easy with an R&D shell as Ray fabricated most of the fiddly bits.

T_stud_.jpg

The arms are big enough to get a turn of rope on, but not long enough to trip over.

NB Earnest had a T stud conversion to it's rear dollies from new. Rather easy with an R&D shell as Ray fabricated most of the fiddly bits.

T_stud_.jpg

The arms are big enough to get a turn of rope on, but not long enough to trip over.

That is more the sort of thing I would go for another time. Spot on.