Lister LPW3 cutting out under load

The Duchess

Featured Posts

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have an old Narrowboat fitted with a Lister LPW3 27hp engine.

After over 100 virtually trouble hours since March this year, it has started completely cutting out.

It has just had a full service and is still doing it.

After about 20 mins running this weekend it died again. Having drifted to the side of the river, it restarted with a bit of a struggle and we continued for another 10 mins before it went again. This time when it started and I attempted to move off, it died as soon as I engaged the gears and opened the throttle.

Got it going again and cruised slowly for another 10 mins, tried to open the throttle a bit further and it went again.

This time I was able to reatart it, turn the boat around and limp back to the marina at 1200rpm. The engine sounds fine on tickover and was no problem at 1200 rpm.

Any ideas?

Check the tank vent / pipe is still allowing air in to replenish fuel drawn out - its a abit of a long shot on a boat with a big tank and possible anot 100% sealing filler cap, but this was a regular problem on some older engines like lawnmowers etc... the partial vacuum was not allowing fuel to be drawn from the tank.

Nick

I'd check your fuel filters.

Sounds like a classic case of "fuel bug" to me.

(Don't ask me how I know this....)

Second that - similar conditions happened to me before 'the fuel bug' became a general topic.

Engine would run well under no load, and under power for a short period.

Examined primary fuel filter. Full of 'gloop'. Changed filter (an awkward job) and proceeded on our way.

might be worth opening the bleed screw on the fuel filter and operating the fuel pump by hand to see if there is a good flow of clean diesel.

Also might be worth checking the gauze filter fitted in the fuel pump its often overlooked and might be gunged up

Thank you all for the suggestions. The person who serviced it is indeed having a look but I like to know as much as possible about problems like this.An old boat is never an exact science, but it is an education.

Will let you know the outcome.