Filtering Canal Water

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

i think i would make a rain collector for the top of the boat then maybe use purification tablets to keep the tank clean? i have just put a new flat roof on our shed using steel sheet and it filled a water butt last night in one shower after about 5 mins it was overflowing.

it wouldnt be a permenant supply but would be a bonus and help out - i own a stainless / plastic fabrication company so if you need any help with tanks etc let me know.

remember if you use the boil method it must boil for about 5 mins to work not just bringing to the boil - and the rain water way cuts out all the oils leached into the canal which are hard to remove by flitering.

As I understood it the reason was that the guy decided that he didn't want huge water tanks. He had a much smaller tank, but one that was automatically filled as the level fell to a certain level. The boat is a permanent liveaboard and cruises much of the French system. I agree that I wouldn't bother for a UK narrowboat but that was not the question asked. The OP asked for info on how it could be done and my reply was to show that it could be done and how it has been done in waters that contain more bacteria than UK canals should do.

Roger

I would be worried about the germs that can not be filtered out even though the filtered water may look clear.

From what ive been reading on the interent some people may be dumping their urine and no 2's directly into the canal.

interesting thread.

• av-4201.jpg?_r=0 Before drinking canal water.

• av-13905.jpg?_r=0After drinking canal water.

I think you got them the wrong way around.sick.gif

. You only need to boil any water to make it safe for drinking, I have filled my kettle from lakes rivers and even canals,for years, with know ill effects, it's actually slightly lower than boiling point, but once it boils it's more than safe, a small partical filter will make it look better and save you getting grit and shit in your mouth, but boiling it will make it perfectly safe for drinking

Is this really true? I would have thought that there was a significant danger of toxins not destroyed by boiling. Canals frequently pass through old industrial sites.

N

Is this really true? I would have thought that there was a significant danger of toxins not destroyed by boiling. Canals frequently pass through old industrial sites.

N

I guess that on a river like the Severn the risk is not so great, but going through old industrial areas where the silt is contaminated and god knows what runs off old industrial sites after heavy rain into the canal. It's a bit like smoking and asbestos, for the first 20 years it never does much harm................

N

. It really is true and the five mins is more than over the top, I think all bacterial, which cause you problems are killed by 70 degrees, bringing it to the boil is just so we know it's past 70 without a thermometer and a boil of 10 seconds will kill everything that will harm you, i have done it since the very early 90,s without so much as a bad belly just saves lugging gallons of water with me when fishing though I do also use tap water if there lots of partical pollutants not because they are bad but I am not there long enough to filter them out or set up a sediment trap

I would be worried about the germs that can not be filtered out even though the filtered water may look clear.

From what ive been reading on the interent some people may be dumping their urine and no 2's directly into the canal.

interesting thread.

I think you got them the wrong way around.:sick:

. Your tap water has also passed through the human body ten or more times and contains traces of aspirin, also female hormones from the pill, and various other nasty,s, they are just a levels considered safe for human consumption, I also think the pics are back to front