Filtering Canal Water

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Hello. I'm looking for some advice please from people experienced in filtering canal or river water.

I've been experimenting with some filters and a bilge pump to see if I can turn canal water into something clean and safe enough to use for the bathroom and for washing up. Please note this isn't for drinking water.

Today was my first proper experiment with my current set up and you can see from the photo below the results so far (showing from right to left): Canal Water, Filtered Canal Water, Bottled Spring Water. The filtered canal water is way cleaner than the unfiltered but there's a very faint tint of colour to it still.

20150822_151650_zpswmqwlbnd.jpg

The filters I'm using are as follows:

5 Micron Sediment Filter

Granular Activated Carbon Filter (for chlorine, halide, organic contaminants, odors)

5 micron Carbon Block Filter (for chlorine and organic chemicals)

So I've got a couple of questions please:

Firstly, should I have a finer sediment filter (or anything else) in line?

Secondly, there are several different sorts of water purity testing kits out there that do different things. I'd like to know there's not heavy metals or other crap in the filtered water once I get the filter system how I want it. What types of water testers have you used and what do you recommend?

Thanks all.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

An interesting experiment, no doubt, but clean water is available free almost wherever we go. Given that, why would you wish to go to a) the expense; B) the risk; c) the faff?

I'm not knocking your idea or efforts, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be wondering why.

To throw in something constructive you may wish to consider a UV stage to kill the biological hazards such as leptospirosis (Weil's disease).

Good luck with it!

No offence everyone, but the "why's" don't answer my questions. Please can I have just constructive responses. Thanks

I'd add a stage of allowing it to settle, then withdrawing water (without disturbing it) from near the top. The time required would be significant, eg weeks. Thus the equipment size would be large, for the projected water flowrate/usage desired.

Thanks, Paul. I know others on this forum have managed it and I doubt they used particularly large sediment settling equipment. But I suppose you never know!

Reverse osmosis is the way to go.

Been used on seagoing boats for years to produce fresh water.

Filtering does not get the bugs out

Some reading

http://www.lilo.org.uk/handbook/waterrainharvestingandfilters

And a 5 stage filter system

http://www.eastmidlandswater.com/Details.asp?ProductID=50&istCompanyId=f255ac35-4a36-4786-b6a8-da7c9a2f9b83&istItemId=xxqqlppqq&istBid=xzlr&gclid=Cj0KEQjwu-CuBRCQ2byQtMep7e0BEiQABQKlkcCKfoD7cKQnRVLXNPC9VtIKEEQ2Rbt7wje5DhrfRekaAqDf8P8HAQ

Edited by Loddon

And further, noting the suggestion of reverse osmosis, I can add that flash evaporation is a better solution in this application. Ships and submarines use reverse osmosis in the relatively clean waters of the open ocean. Making water in potentially polluted water close to land really needs flash evaporation or further additions to deal with the bio. I believe you are operating in water that has a potential for bio hazards.

I still think "why?" isn't an unreasonable ask, but I'll happily withdraw the question if it makes you uncomfortable.

Have fun!

An interesting experiment, no doubt, but clean water is available free almost wherever we go. Given that, why would you wish to go to a) the expense; B) the risk; c) the faff?

I'm not knocking your idea or efforts, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be wondering why.

To throw in something constructive you may wish to consider a UV stage to kill the biological hazards such as leptospirosis (Weil's disease).

Good luck with it!

. You only need to boil any water to make it safe for drinking, I have filled my kettle from lakes rivers and even canals,for years, with know ill effects, it's actually slightly lower than boiling point, but once it boils it's more than safe, a small partical filter will make it look better and save you getting grit and shit in your mouth, but boiling it will make it perfectly safe for drinking

The water in the canal at Sharpness looks that clear, but according to the water company that extracts from there its grade 3, the lowest quality, so looks are not everything. I bet the water in Lancashire is clear as well and I take it you will eat and drink from whatever you wash up in it.

. You only need to boil any water to make it safe for drinking, I have filled my kettle from lakes rivers and even canals,for years, with know ill effects, it's actually slightly lower than boiling point, but once it boils it's more than safe, a small partical filter will make it look better and save you getting grit and shit in your mouth, but boiling it will make it perfectly safe for drinking

Yep, that's exactly why they tend towards flash evaporation in littoral waters.

He's not talking about using it for drinking though, so I think the quantity required might make boiling kettles hard work and too energy intensive for this application.

Edited by Sea Dog

I have seen and drunk the water from a system that uses French canal water into which boat's black tanks are emptied. From what I remember it was a five stage filtration system followed by a UV lamp to sterilise. This water was then used for all purposes except drinking. For drinking water there was an additional reverse osmosis stage for the final purification. I drank a glass and you wouldn't know it from tap water. The French couple on whose boat it is installed are permanent liveaboards and have been on the boat for years. They did give me a link to the French company that made all the required equipment but I will have to look that up when I am on the laptop. I believe that there are UK equivalents available.

Roger

Considering that the normal advice if you fall in is to take a shower to get rid of the bio risk, rather than the sediment, then you will either need a very expensive filter, or other means of killing the nasties. Also things like heavy metals will not be removed by boiling and the effects can be accumulative, so you may think you have no ill effects, but it will only be after some time will you have problems.

Out of interest, how will you know when the carbon filter is 'full'?

I have seen and drunk the water from a system that uses French canal water into which boat's black tanks are emptied. From what I remember it was a five stage filtration system followed by a UV lamp to sterilise. This water was then used for all purposes except drinking. For drinking water there was an additional reverse osmosis stage for the final purification. I drank a glass and you wouldn't know it from tap water. The French couple on whose boat it is installed are permanent liveaboards and have been on the boat for years. They did give me a link to the French company that made all the required equipment but I will have to look that up when I am on the laptop. I believe that there are UK equivalents available.

Roger

Biggles made one http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69701&hl=

Hi Gang,

Great idea, and Experiment thus far,

I would suggest if you're going to Have fun making a 'Filtration System' to wash in,,,Why not go the extra and get 'Fully Drinkable' water !.

But to start with I would suggest -

A Course Metal Strainer,

A 'Manifold' of 2 x 10 micron spun poly filters.

A 'Manifold' of 2 x 5 micron Spun poly filters.

(These will have to be changed fairly regularly)

A single 5 micron Carbon Block Filter.

A single 1 micron poly filter.

This should produce fairly good 'Usable' water.

Then by adding

A second single 5 micron Carbon Block Filter

A Thin Film Composite R/O membrane.

A sterilite UV Sterilized.

You should get Drinkable' water !.

Have fun and keep us posted, I think it's great.

BTW

If you go to my profile card thingymajig, go to my Gallery, there is a pic or two of my pre filter system and filters I think !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Roger

I wonder what the cost per litre is? Maybe good for a static houseboat, but I can not see how it is worth the cost on a narrowboat.

And further, noting the suggestion of reverse osmosis, I can add that flash evaporation is a better solution in this application. Ships and submarines use reverse osmosis in the relatively clean waters of the open ocean. Making water in potentially polluted water close to land really needs flash evaporation or further additions to deal with the bio. I believe you are operating in water that has a potential for bio hazards.

I still think "why?" isn't an unreasonable ask, but I'll happily withdraw the question if it makes you uncomfortable.

Have fun!

Just to reinforce that point - watermakers actually state that they should NOT be used within marinas or 'stagnant' water as any oil / fuel in the water destroys the watermaker.

Watermakers must be used at least every couple of days or the system has to be stripped and parts replaced.

They are not cheap - this one is £3300 and only produces 5 litres per hour. It is one of the most frugal ones I have seen drawing just 4 amps.

http://www.foxsmarineandcountry.com/products/katadyn-powered-survivor-40e-desalinator-watermaker-12v-8013438?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=427893853&gclid=Cj0KEQjwu-CuBRCQ2byQtMep7e0BEiQABQKlkbLjY5cD2ao_2sILRnZko-oPpf_-IJMoGGikT_LYUJMaAixz8P8HAQ

My knowledge on this subject is limited to currently trying to get a public fountain reinstated and once having gone treking in Nepal. The treking in Nepal bit involved the use of iodine and having to accept that water that doesn't look clean, and tastes pretty foul, can be safe to drink following treatment (and equally the water that does look clean might not be).

For the public fountain, even though we do not intend the water to be drunk, and it originates from a drinking water main but is recycled by the fountain to avoid a massive water meter bill, we have to use UV light amongst other things to clean the water, and still have to state it isn't fit to drink. You might think we could get away with almost anything but we can't, it may get on people's hands, clothes, etc and then there is the risk of onward contamination.

You are thinking of using the water for washing up, presumably you will then drink from or eat off/with the washed items. It's the risk of onward contamination that needs to be avoided.

The water in the canal at Sharpness looks that clear, but according to the water company that extracts from there its grade 3, the lowest quality, so looks are not everything. I bet the water in Lancashire is clear as well and I take it you will eat and drink from whatever you wash up in it.

. I've swam in it since the late 80s and filled my kettle from it for years and never had any adverse effects, I think I probably have a stronger system than most because of my life style, but boiling is all it takes to make it safe for anybody to drink, if it's just the partical,s that are a worry sphagnum moss makes a great free natural water filter, I doubt if the amount of dead animals floating about in there help with the water company's dilemma, I have. Often wondered why they don't put some ramps along the sides to help things get out, I have lost count of the number of dead deer,fox,badger and even farm animals I,ve seen, I did once manage to rescue a sheep, and have even found three otters that had drowned in there,

I don't think asking why is unreasonable either. In general people are more willing and better able to come up with constructive solutions to problems if they understand what the point is.

Edited by blackrose

I don't think asking why is unreasonable either. In general people are more willing and better able to come up with constructive solutions to problems if they understand what the point is.

The reason why will not change the original question though will it?

BSP has asked a question and is asking for answers to that question, the reasons could be personal and she might be unwilling to share