Iona and Monty are off to Liverpool!

Ange

Featured Posts

Exciting times! After a long period of working rather than boating we're finally on the move again on our boat Iona with mum and dad's boat Monty. We set off tomorrow from Sale Cruising Club on the Bridgewater on our way to Liverpool with two other boats from SCC. Give us a wave if we pass your way :)

I remember when we did the Iona off to Coventry thread the resulting posts were very quiet but canalside we had a great result. That confirms what I've discovered doing the the forum accounts - there's a lot of folk reading the forum who love it enough to chuck money at it but like my husband can't be arsed to get into the silliness and one upmanship that supposedly grown folk feel inclined to indulge in.

Anyways - give us a wave :)

Edited by Ange

Exciting times! After a long period of working rather than boating we're finally on the move again on our boat Iona with mum and dad's boat Monty. We set off tomorrow from Sale Cruising Club on the Bridgewater on our way to Liverpool with two other boats from SCC. Give us a wave if we pass your way :)

Have a lovely time Ange and I hope the weather is nice.

Edited by grumpy146

I remember when we did the Iona off to Coventry thread the resulting posts were very quiet but canalside we had a great result. That confirms what I've discovered doing the the forum accounts - there's a lot of folk reading the forum who love it enough to chuck money at it but like my husband can't be arsed to get into the silliness and one upmanship that supposedly grown folk feel inclined to indulge in.

Anyways - give us a wave :)

It is however perfectly possible to participate in the forum and simply not partake in the silliness and one upmanship that occurs.

There are plenty of contributors who manage it.

This forum is much the same as any others in that it has many 'lurkers' who read but don't contribute and I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with that either. That is their choice.

Having recently joined a couple of forums related to our new leisure pursuit it is quite noticeable as to how similar they are in make up. One, the Swift owners forum has a 'pinned' post relating to 'forum behaviour that reads very very similar to that which Daniel posted not that long ago. This apparently was in response to a bad out break of silliness and one upmanship.

It's the nature of the beast and whilst it's clearly tiresome for some it is also clear that some find it quite entertaining, some have admitted as much.

Besides since Damiels last re stating of the r&gs there has been much less of it (and some would say the forum is less entertaining as a result).

Thanks everyone :)

We had a leisurely day today, now moored up by Dover Lock Inn. We were sat out on the towpath looking forward to a social evening when a humungous thunder storm broke, so we all had to flee to our boats. The only other drama of the day was dad leaving the portapotti at the elsan at the clubhouse - luckily mum found out early on so they weren't too far behind us. Life is good when it's dramas are so small :)

Some big locks tomorrow - we've been in narrow lock territory for a few years now so they're going to come as a shock.

Excited - we've wanted to do this trip since we returned from the Lancaster in 2011 when the boat festival that never happened meant it was fully booked. Mum and dad did it last year and loved it.

I'll make sure I've got the camera handy when we go through the docks.

Well I'm moored next to Iona in Stone, but presume it isn't you......

Well unless we've been transported like in Star Trek definitely not! Is it a narrowboat? We've come across a GRP called Iona but no narrowboats so far.

We started out not far from there on Monday - festival park Marina in Stoke.

The only other drama of the day was dad leaving the portapotti at the elsan at the clubhouse

Well, if he had a proper toilet..............................Pump out anyone?

biggrin.png

Liverpool is great. make sure you visit the Baltic Fleet, across the dual carrigeway and south a bit from the moorings.

See you on the 10th, if not before.

SAM (aka, according to my dear wife, Capt. Bligh!)

Well unless we've been transported like in Star Trek definitely not! Is it a narrowboat? We've come across a GRP called Iona but no narrowboats so far.

We started out not far from there on Monday - festival park Marina in Stoke.

Here you are - I took a pic of your doppelganger before I left this morning.

FT9u4ZY.jpg

The boat listing on canal planner lists 46 boats called Iona or Iona II.

Some are obviously GRP based on builders names but most seem to be steel narrow boats or wide beams.

I think it's a good name for a boat as to me it's a play on 'I own her'. (Even though the purists will no doubt point out narrow boats are traditionally of no specific gender)

Edited by MJG

Gosh that's a smart looking boat Mac! Thanks for posting the photo.

I own her was the main reason we decided not to change the name Martin - we had planned to change our first boat's name but we couldn't do it - very similar to you with TDH. To us Iona is definitely a lady :)

Cheers for the tip Trina and Sam- all recommendations gratefully received.

We're moored in Parbold tonight (which my tablet tried to change to parboiled!) We had a lovely evening in the Railway - the landlord is a smashing chap and the atmosphere in the pub reflects that. Definitely recommended.

An easy day planned tomorrow - we're setting off about midday with a stopover at the Ruffird Branch to investigate the stoppage there.

Apologies if there's anyone I haven't responded to - this is a lovely area but the signal's a bit hit and miss in places. Plus I've been down the pub :D

Don't miss the Blue Mallard in Burscough, especially if they are still doing the early bird special (£12.95 for two courses two years ago). A friend from Scotland who was with me at the time reckoned it was the best meal she had had.

Also the Farmers Arms at bridge 31 does one of the best burgers in Britain.

Don't miss the Blue Mallard in Burscough, especially if they are still doing the early bird special (£12.95 for two courses two years ago). A friend from Scotland who was with me at the time reckoned it was the best meal she had had.

Also the Farmers Arms at bridge 31 does one of the best burgers in Britain.

We just spent the evening in the Farmer's Arms - unlucky timing on our part because the first evening that the rest of our convoy decide to eat out we had a lump of gammon in the fridge that needed eating - bah! We joined them after and when I asked what the food was like I was told the burgers were proper home made and gorgeous - double bah!

Never mind - we'll be coming back this way :)

There was free lager at the end of the evening cos it was pipe cleaning time - Monday for lager and Tuesday for bitter folks - the first few pints they draw off before the cleaning stuff comes through is fine and they line them up on the bar. First time I've drunk lager in ages

We stopped off at the Rufford Branch and had a walk up to see the breach, but it was a bit too far along. Twas odd seeing the "canal closed" sign - last time we were here was 2011 when we came back from the Lancaster. All new territory now :)

Not much to report the last couple of days - just some gentle cruising. Our big excitement of today was being moored by the first swing bridge that CRT operate and when the moment of departure arrived our engine said no. We were towed from there until we'd passed the next CRT operated bridge. It was quite a surreal and rather pleasant experience being on a moving boat with no engine noise or vibration. A tad embarrassing as well when folk on the towpath fell about seeing a 40' boat towing a 58' boat. Hey ho - we got there and with copious spraying of easystart Iona's engine is back up and running.

We're moored in Eldonian moorings tonight - they have a great village hall which apparently has entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights. If you can work Monday (lager drinkers) or Tuesday (bitter drinkers) at the farmers arms with entertainment on Friday or Saturday at this mooring you're onto a winner.

1pm tomorrow off to Liverpool - though apparently there's a place nearby that does very cheap breakfast for OAPs - obviously were not in that territory yet but some in our party are very excited :)

I prefer sleep for breakfast

Edited by Ange