Diesel Heating

clbrof

Featured Posts

Hi

I am looking into diesel heating for my widebeam. I have approx 36m^2 of floor space. So I reckon I would need around about 5kw to heat the boat.

I like the idea of a gravity fed system, no pumps or 12V for redundancy.

So far I have come across

Refleks

Bubble Stove

Dickinson (seem to require 12v....)

Are there any other brands that I could look into?

At the moment I am swaying towards the refleks due to low diesel consumption, no electrical power needed and good aesthetics.

I wonder if it is worth looking for a oil heater that will run on domestic heating oil rather or as well as engine diesel particularly of course if you have a separate fuel tank for the heating. Domestic heating oil can be bought for as low as £0.29 plus VAT just now so a cheap fuel just now.

Refleks

Bubble Stove

Kabola E5 or E7, though I think they may have discontinued the drip fed boilers, but you can buy good second hand ones.

Howver these are functional boilers to be out of sight - if you want an attractive one to sit and be admired the E-series Kabola are not it!

I was very happy with the Glembring diesel heater I installed on our last boat a 40ft x 12ft cruiser.

As Refleks drip feed, gravity fed so no moving parts and no leccy required. I went for a 8kw model as I felt it better to have reserve heating capacity rather than having to run it at full chuff.

There were options on the chimney too, a cruising termination and also a "H" termination which withstood the severest gales with no blow back.

Phil

There are 2 boats on this mooring with Bubble drip feed stoves, one (with a back boiler running radiators and hot water) is on a 70 foot Dutch barge. The other is on 54 foot GRP WB cruiser. Both have had them for many years and both rate them very highly. I have just ordered a Bubble pressure jet boiler for my Humber barge and a big factor in the choice was the high opinion that the other two have (not just with the stoves but with the back up). My choice of a PJ system was due to the higher heat requirements (66' x 16'6" beam with a 12' x 10' wheelhouse, I also took a trip to Doncaster to visit Harworth heating and was very impressed by the people as well.

Edited by John V

Hi

I am looking into diesel heating for my widebeam. I have approx 36m^2 of floor space. So I reckon I would need around about 5kw to heat the boat.

I like the idea of a gravity fed system, no pumps or 12V for redundancy.

Refleks

Bubble Stove

At the moment I am swaying towards the refleks due to low diesel consumption, no electrical power needed and good aesthetics.

Dickinson don't require 12v in normal use but do benefit from a flue fan for when lighting or when the draw isn't good enough.

Also look at Kabola Old Dutch, they do a 4 and 7k model.

Edited by Robbo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi clbrof.

I'm considering removing a Bubble oil corner stove from my boat because at times it givess too much heat (40 foot boat). If you're interested in taking it on then send me a pm.

Edited by Bro