Painting an old BMC. What make of paint, and what colour ?

wrisberg

Featured Posts

Hello mates.

Now the time has come to paint my engine,.

Heat resistant paint, i presume. Hammerrite I have acces to, is that OK ?

Also, when it comes to choosing a colour, my head starts to limbo..

I am thinking, Green, Red, Silver, Yellow, or white ?!?!? I cant really decide. Any pros and cons I should be considering ?

I am thinking most on the green and yello . . I think . . . Or the red.... Hmmm :-)

This is the paint I have acces to. http://www.hammerite.com/

Thanks alot mates. Hoping to get the engine finish soon, and the boat back to my harbour.

/ Jonas

Here you go:

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/technical_engine_colour.htm

Quote:

"I can now confirm with 100% certainty that the most commonly used colour on BMC engines was British Standard Middle Bronze Green (BS 223). Some engines were painted in a darker green that I strongly believe to be Dark Bronze Green."

Edited by Ray T

NO, that is for vehicles as far as I know. The official BMC marinisations were painted a metallic like light blue. Otherwise choose the colour you like.There were so many marinisers in the end that almost any colour would do. However we painted the ones we did for the hire fleet Blakes (now Hemple) dark green engine paint.

A lighter colour makes oil, fuel, and coolant leaks easier to spot but also looks dirty far more readily.

Ooooh that's told me, smacked botty and I must write 100 times "I do not know my engine colours." smile.png

Not really, the site seems to be more related to vehicle performance.

I am also struggling to match "Austin" engine green with the colour shown that was more of a light bronze green. That is in BMCs time.

Richard, some useless information, chrome bumper MG's had red engines, rubber bumper MG's had black engines, had to research it when I was rebuilding them.

And older MGs, I believe, but never Spridgets

Except I painted mine red, because I like it

Richard

• Greenie 1

Mine's Black, to be fair it was (mostly) a pale blue when I got it, but poorly done, and as

its a 1976 engine, genuine ex sherpa van and actually has a "Leyland" roundel cast in

the side rather than BMC, I decided on black (smooth hammerite), with the roundel

picked out in white.

springy

Richard, some useless information, chrome bumper MG's had red engines, rubber bumper MG's had black engines, had to research it when I was rebuilding them.

I've got a red engine in my rubber bumper MG. Then again its a Leyland ST engine rather than a standard one.

When I painted it I used engine paint from the local accessory shop. It's only lasted 20 years so far.

Mine's Black, to be fair it was (mostly) a pale blue when I got it, but poorly done, and as

its a 1976 engine, genuine ex sherpa van and actually has a "Leyland" roundel cast in

the side rather than BMC, I decided on black (smooth hammerite), with the roundel

picked out in white.

springy

Can you take a picture of it? Black, that would be great also I think.

Thanks for all of you reply's, I am gonna go with the hamerite then, I have acces to white, silver, red ( Brown'ish ) and black... White would like fantastic . . ! atleast till I get it started :-)

Silver or black I think then . . . .My old engine was silver. . it looked okay actually.

Just paint it in a colour that isn't going to show the inevitable oil and grease build up too quickly. Mine got painted in something dark that I picked up from Halfords. It was a heat resistant paint.

thanks for all your reply' s, and thanks for the photo. Nice colour!

I think I am settled for a dark, green colour. For now, atleast.

please upload photos of your bad ass engines guys! - Inspiration always helps :-)

/Jonas

What do you fancy?

Moss Green:

engine-1.jpg

Mid Brunswick Green:

waiting-2.jpg

Grey:

Grey.jpg

Oxford Blue:

temporary_zpszdt9lisw.jpg

Or even...:

Red.jpg

The blue one is a BMC 1500, and is similar to the marinisers colour

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up painting it green. I got access to some really good and strong paint. Compared to the colours before the paintings, this is awesome. But bad weather made the process, a little difficult. Not a perfect job, but fairly decent. Now for fitting new hoses and accessories, then install in boat. I am back from USA late September, so I am hoping for a full month in the water, before going up for winter.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First run of the new engine.

Sounds great. 70 psi pressure.

Have had alot of unexpected work on this engine. Nearly changed everything on the outside, But now its sweet.

New hoses, new wiring, then we are off! - When there is water instead of ice of course 8-)

Video of the first startup: http://www.baadgalleri.dk/video/diverse-baad/3071-foerste_opstart_af_thornycroft_108r

post-24495-0-65751400-1453367729_thumb.jpg

Edited by wrisberg