Simple question...

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I suspect that, used in such context, Captain would be the correct term as it refers to the officer in command of the vessel, regardless of rank. In a civilian craft however, I believe you may be more appropriately titled 'Master Fox'. Has a certain ring to it methinks!

My surname is Bates.

The correct terminology is:

"Captain" if you own or are the sole person in charge of the boat(s), "Steerer" if you employed or do not own the craft, "Driver" if it is proper tug you are operating, "Boatman" if you are a general hand.

So most of us on here will be "Captain".

Thanks. The factual correctness of my friend's book is preserved.

Vice sounds better than Rear. I joined the navy as an Admiral and worked my way down. I did well.

Like Richard Branson said when asked how to become a millionaire...

"First become a billionaire, then start an airline."

Did you find that joke in the British Museum?

Here's one:

MFI's new tag line is 'You dream it, we make it'.

They are obviously relying on my dreams being mostly about cheap cupboards.

Are MFI still going?

And what do the letters stand for anyway

(Is it true that it was Made For Idiots or was that a joke)

Are MFI still going?

They went bust six or seven years ago IIRC...

Edit to add, more than you could ever want to know about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MFI_Group

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Are MFI still going?

The company went bust at the end of 2008 but the name was revived for a while, finally disappearing recently:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MFI_Group ...

Mullard Furniture Industries

Following its closure, the MFI brand was purchased by Victoria Plumb, and was relaunched, as an online only retailer on 30 November 2011,[4][5] but this too ceased trading in July 2015.

Back on topic, I would use steerer, but refer to the steerer as the skipper if they're also the person in charge of the boat (whether or not the owner), as is nearly always the case when I go boating.

To me, captain sounds too grand a title to be used on any boat small enough to pass under London Bridge, unless that person holds the military rank.

Are MFI still going?

I was told that MFI was sold cheap to the guy that started the Range stores. The story is that he put in a silly bid and won, allegedly.

smiley_offtopic.gif sorry

Back on topic, I would use steerer, but refer to the steerer as the skipper if they're also the person in charge of the boat (whether or not the owner), as is nearly always the case when I go boating.

To me, captain sounds too grand a title to be used on any boat small enough to pass under London Bridge, unless that person holds the military rank.

As the steerer can change s/he needs to be differentiated from the master of the vessel. The master is the bod in charge of the boat, and seems to be the term often used in regulations. The steerer might be steering under the master's direction. The owner of the boat appoints the master, I reckon. The same person often holds all three roles.

Just

skipper1
ˈskɪpə/
informal
noun
noun: skipper; plural noun: skippers
  1. 1.
    the captain of a ship or boat, especially a small trading or fishing vessel.
    "the skipper and one other man were convicted of smuggling"
    • the captain of a side in a game or sport.
      "the former Derbyshire batsman has been retained as skipper"
    • the captain of an aircraft.
verb
verb: skipper; 3rd person present: skippers; past tense: skippered; past participle: skippered; gerund or present participle: skippering
  1. 1.
    act as captain of.
    "the course teaches even complete beginners to skipper their own yachts"
Origin
late Middle English: from Middle Dutch, Middle Low German schipper, from schip ‘ship’.
skipper2
ˈskɪpə/
noun
Edited by Ray T