Simple question...

Dave_P

Featured Posts

steerer in my world, though I was promoted to helmsman a couple of weeks ago. A rather posh lady who took over operations at a rather busy lock (there is always one), told my wife to "instruct your helmsman to..."

The look my wife gave her was very amusing; posh lady decided not to pursue the matter. A very wise decision, very wise indeed.

Edited by Guest

In one of the Idle Women videos I have Audrey Harper was referred to as "Steerer Harper." The ex Essy Barlow's Captain I regularly visit says he is the captain of the vessel when on land or when asked "who is in charge", but the steerer when out on the cut.

Skipper or skip is more common on offshore yachts, never captain. The person who happens to be on the helm at the time is the helmsman. Or I suppose in these days of PC, helmswoman.

In "There go the Boats" film the announcer says "Will all steerers report to the office please."

To confuse matters the steering assembly on a butty is described as the "Elum" derived from helm.

Edited by Ray T

Steerer for me too....though in trading days I think " tug drivers" was also a recognised term. I'm at a loss to understand why nautical terminology is sometimes applied....though often use port and starboard when referring to narrowboats cabin sides...it's a funny old world!!

Cheers

Dave

The correct terminology is:

"Captain" if you own or are the sole person in charge of the boat(s), "Steerer" if you employed or do not own the craft, "Driver" if it is proper tug you are operating, "Boatman" if you are a general hand.

So most of us on here will be "Captain".

The correct terminology is:

"Captain" if you own or are the sole person in charge of the boat(s), "Steerer" if you employed or do not own the craft, "Driver" if it is proper tug you are operating, "Boatman" if you are a general hand.

So most of us on here will be "Captain".

I will tell my wife I have been promoted!

Commander!

We consider ourselves to be the Commanders of our vessel.

I suspect that, used in such context, Captain would be the correct term as it refers to the officer in command of the vessel, regardless of rank. In a civilian craft however, I believe you may be more appropriately titled 'Master Fox'. Has a certain ring to it methinks!