grand union canal aka Bridgewater canal?

magnetman

Featured Posts

I was talking to a bloke yesterday (a humanist funeral celebrant who will be speaking at my late mother's funeral next week) and the topic of the grand union came up as she was a boater for several years and spent a lot of time on the lower GU.

He called the canal around Dudswell north of Berko "the Bridgewater canal" I told him I thought he was confused but he made a very convincing argument for a section of the GU between Tring and Berko being nicknamed the "Bridgewater" because it was visible from the ashridge monument as was the home of the duke of Bridgewater. So you could stand at the top of the monument and look at Bridgewater's canal and his 'pile of bricks' from the same viewpoint.

Never heard of it but this chap definitely seemed to know his history.

So where exactly would it be?

Hi,

It is probably possible to do this in the vicinity of Cowroast/Dudswell - but only in the winter months when there are no leaves on the trees.

The tower is well worth a visit, as is the main house or really anything in the Chilterns - 'The Thinking Man's Cotswolds'.........

Hope this helps, and all the very best.

L.

On reflection I would have thought the view (from the top of the Monument) of both the GU and the main house would be the section of canal by the Wartime Buffer depot (now Solgar) on the Tring Summit, by New Ground Bridge and then the reverse view to the House.

Edited by LEO

Yes the Chilterns is a nice area and my ma is going to be underground in a basket in a woodland burial site near beaconsfield next week :) in the same area as an old git friend from her bowling club was buried. Although she died suddenly she had told us where she wanted to be buried...

On way to sort out the burial plot now actually. A bit off topic but it's my own topic so probably get away with it :lol:

Yes the Chilterns is a nice area and my ma is going to be underground in a basket in a woodland burial site near beaconsfield next week smile.png in the same area as an old git friend from her bowling club was buried. Although she died suddenly she had told us where she wanted to be buried...

On way to sort out the burial plot now actually. A bit off topic but it's my own topic so probably get away with it laugh.png

More off topic ... I just drove past that Burial ground on my way back from hunting wild damsons. It's a lovely spot! And there's a fantastic real Ale pub not far away in Hedgerley.

More off topic ... I just drove past that Burial ground on my way back from hunting wild damsons. It's a lovely spot! And there's a fantastic real Ale pub not far away in Hedgerley.

Will check the pub - just had lunch at the Jolly Cricketers in Seer Green which was pretty nice :)

Will check the pub - just had lunch at the Jolly Cricketers in Seer Green which was pretty nice smile.png

Seer Green is a lovely spot!

the Hedgerley pub is called The White Horse - they do a Beer Festival every bank holiday weekend! Head for the Beaconsfield services, when on the Services roundabout veer off left, follow the road, turn right at the end and it's not far to the village. Watch out for the wildlife though - they don't understand cars :-D

I've no idea of the geography/topography of the area so leave it to those who know. The Grand Junction was being built in that general area in the erly 1800s.

However, the Duke of Bridgewater was interested in a proposed canal from the River Lee across to the Great Ouse near Kings Lynn. In 1801 he purchased Woolmers Park House near Hertford. Was he hoping to sell land to the developers? The Duke then died in 1803.

Sorry to hear about your mum, the connection might be because of Bridgewater Boats in Berkhamsted.

Funny you mention bridgewater boats because when this bloke said "Bridgewater canal at berkamsted" I said "are you thinking of the boatyard with the red hire boats" he lived in berko 20 Years ago so I thought this was maybe what he was thinking of.

But he gave a very convincing explanation which is why I wondered if anyone on here had heard of it.