Jam 'Ole Run

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

Where exactly was the Jam'Ole. I did the Bulls Bridge to Paddington run recently and despite watching out for it I couldnt make it out. I know the arm was filled in and the factory flattened. Is there a plaque or some kind of memorial there now?

I've looked and not seen too,

I think it is really close to Bulls Bridge Junction though.

simon

As you come round Bulls Bridge and head for Paddington stop it is about a hundred yards along on the towpath side. You can just make out the difference in the piling and you can also see the old entrance brick work in the towpath. The basin has all been filled in now.

You can just see the old entrance on the very front right of this photograph.

IMGP4945.jpg

IMGP4946.jpg

David

jam.jpg

Centre of this shot I guess?

In fact I think I can make out the blue bin - and it is opposite a 'kink' in the bank which I am guessing could have been a widening to allow the boats to turn into the basin?

Edited by WJM

• 11 years later...
On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2007 at 10:10, hughc said:

Alnwick was surprised that the pairs on the jam 'ole run were on cross straps. Try towing a butty on a long line nowadays and see just how much grief that involves. Modern boaters do not understand the need to keep away from the line or to give room on turns.Cross straps enable the motor steerer to closely control the fore end of the butty and the butty steerer to push the back end of the motor around tight turns and out of the way of other boats when they panic. regards, H.C.

Lady boater at Braunston as a pair went past, long lining:  "How stupid, towing another boat"

• Haha 3

Also heard from a lady at Braunston, as a boat with a Bolinder engine went past: "I'm surprised they're able to keep going, with the engine mis-firing like that"

On long-lining, I once came through a bridge hole while a boat coming the other way held back and waved me through; then he immediately shot forwards and collided head-on with the boat I was towing. As we all disentangled ourselves from the resultant chaos, I asked him why he had done that. He replied that he didn't mind waiting for one boat to come through the bridge but wasn't prepared to wait for two !!!

• Haha 4

We used to get serious abuse having fought from ricky tocowroast on snubber, cross straps and breasting , getting out the long line. The experts would appear from nowhere in the pouring rain to explain why we shouldnt.

of course with the lunun canal now being a wide canal we could simply go everywhere breasted..

On 20/03/2007 at 16:20, Denis R said:

They came past me early in the morning on the way down and caused hardly a ripple. Lily was loaded with about 15 tons of Andy's assorted paraphenalia - elm planks, a couple of engines, a large tank of diesel and so on, so it sat well in the water - plus it gave the Bolinder something to get its teeth into. Meeting that coming the other way, you wouldn't have any choice but to head for the bank, it must have been drawing getting on for 3ft....

Shame it's over but as with so many things, I guess it was fun while it lasted.

As an ex owner of "Lily" if she"d had 15 tons of load she would more than likely have been drawing North of 3'6" depedent on distribution of the load in the "Seffle power days the stationary draft was 3'3"& the loss of dry side was around 1" per ton

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We used to get serious abuse having fought from ricky tocowroast on snubber, cross straps and breasting , getting out the long line. The experts would appear from nowhere in the pouring rain to explain why we shouldnt.

of course with the lunun canal now being a wide canal we could simply go everywhere breasted..

I remember you reintroducing the latter method on the Shroppie North of Barbridge much to the teeth scratching and chin sucking of the hirers in that area.

We used to breast up sometimes with other boaters, especially single handers, with Jan doing the steering. Some of the comments we got from some observers were "interesting". When RayT and I were both single handing, and heading for, or leaving, the Buckby Banters, we used to breast up through the Braunston flight, so that one of us could operate the locks. with very few theer boaters realising that we needed the deep water because of the depth of my boat.

758062835_BraunstonFlightOctober.jpg.92ecfa7a65c425367d01abc2e951129e.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I'd just like to say that whilst I sure that waking a thread up again after more than 11 years is probably no record, it certainly isn't a bad effort!

Sorry, didn't realise it was that old!  Perhaps threads should be put into an Archive folder once replies have stopped.

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Sorry, didn't realise it was that old!  Perhaps threads should be put into an Archive folder once replies have stopped.

No it's one of the forums nicer features that threads sometimes come back to life after many years.

Who knows - we may even find "Que Sera Sera" some day!

(Only tjose who have been on here a very long while will understand that without a bit of searching).

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

I was breasting a mud hopper on the Soar and wanted to keep to the deeper water.  Boat coming towards me did not understand my hooter signal, nor my arm waving.   'Got ter keep right ant yer'

How many people today understand hooter signals?  It used to be obligatory on the Thames, particularly on the tideway.

Two short blasts - I wish to pass you on wrong side. Starb'd to starb'd.

Three short blasts - I am going astern.

Three and one, or two - I am going to turn, port or starb'd.

Five blasts - get out of the 'kin way.

1 minute ago, Chris Williams said:

I was breasting a mud hopper on the Soar and wanted to keep to the deeper water.  Boat coming towards me did not understand my hooter signal, nor my arm waving.   'Got ter keep right ant yer'

How many people today understand hooter signals?  It used to be obligatory on the Thames, particularly on the tideway.

Two short blasts - I wish to pass you on wrong side. Starb'd to starb'd.

Three short blasts - I am going astern.

Three and one, or two - I am going to turn, port or starb'd.

Five blasts - get out of the 'kin way.

Perhaps you think we should have something like the CEVNI here in the UK?

However, if everyone did understand hooter signals, your 5 short blasts would then be less likely to be interpreted by others as "get out of the 'kin way" as that isn't what it means! :boat:

CEVNI rules are different from the PLA (Teddington to Brentford).

I started boating long ago on Thames Conservancy waters.

Signals seem to vary depending which waterway you are on, but the one and two blasts seem consistent.

Thames Cruising say five blasts means 'I do not understand your intentions, Keep clear.  I doubt whether you are taking sufficient action to prevent a collision.'  -  in other words 'Get out of it'.

I am sure someone on the French waterways will have different ideas.

You could use Morse Code or conventional signals. For example 3 short blasts then 4 then 2 followed by one long blast can be interpreted as "I'm going astern, I'm turning around (or, in some versions of the regs, I'm out of control), I need to pass you to port, now get out of the way". In Morse it means much the same.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk/information/boating/sound-signals/

My security blocks this site for some reason.

Signals can be given by horn, whistle, bell, or an old oil drum as long as it can be heard.  Unless the idiot has got his tranny on full volume.

I was going down the river, following a rowing eight.  They suddenly dropped their oars and stopped dead, in front of a loaded boat.  No time for signals. Just managed to get past without smashing their oars.  Be warned and keep your distance.