Goat

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

My best attempt at conspiracy theory at the time (2001) was that an enemy could damage the economy by obtaining cultures of the virus and simply wander around fields using a small sprayer to directly infect most of each herd. Similarly, indulging in the popular pastime of flying aircraft between the New York twin towers in 'MS Flight Simulator' I should have been able to predict the likelihood of suicide attack.

The Government is determined to eradicate badgers as carriers of TB but F&M is an occasional threat and the general public will not stomach the killing of cute 'Bambies'.

In 2001 I lived between a dairy and a beef farm. I needed to visit my boat in another county where there were farms infected with F&M. I put on wellington boots in the car park near the boat. On return to the car park I washed the mud off of the boots with canal water and sealed them in two layers of plastic carrier bags, there was no antiseptic bath available. I then consulted our local farmers who assured me that I had taken reasonable precautions, cleanliness was better than any antiseptic bath.

My neighbours herds avoided F&M disease and I, unlike others, did my best to avoid its spread.

Alan

. Sorry to pee on your fire but the government shoot and kill hundreds of bambies every year, and as I said they can by definition (cloven hooves) carry foot and mouth and wander freely from farm to farm,carrying with them this most infectious of diseases, so without killing all the deer fmd should still be doing the rounds completely unchecked, unless someone can tell me they are immune to it

. As a country person, although I do live on the outskirts of Bristol, I was never convinced about the foot and mouth outbreaks, and felt it funny they always flair up at a time when farmers start protesting about certain things, this can always be put down to conspiracy,s and brushed to the side, but the one thing that never stood up to examination for me,( and please correct me if I'm wrong) was the simple fact that all cloven hoofed animals can catch and carry foot and mouth??? So how come that the country side was in effect closed,all animals even suspected of carrying the disease or being near an animal that had the disease, were slaughtered and burned, yet wandering around from farm to farm completely unchecked, were thousands of roe, muntjac and fallow deer, all with cloven hooves and all totally at liberty to roam as far and wide as they wanted, yet during the entire sorry saga, I never ever heard of one deer being shot, or ever saw a deer carcass being burned?? Please if you can enlighten me as to why,

Not all cloven hooved animals are effected by FMD to the same extent it varies with the virus type. For example pigs were barely touched in the 1967 outbreak whereas the 2001 outbreak started in pigs.

Deer and their relations are known to get FMD but rarely so it isn't too surprising that it doesn't appear in their populations particularly as those populations do not exist in such close conditions as cattle/sheep/pigs which are either housed close together or come close together at certain times such as milking.

Studies in Bulgaria following an outbreak in wild boar showed no deer infected or carrying.

I would also suspect that if/when it gets into a wild population that population will probably die out (in the small local area) as the animals will be too sick to feed and unable to move to a new area. The presence of more UV light in the environment of animals not being housed at times may also have a bearing on the survival of the virus in the field. (This last paragraph is my conjecture).

I am not sure how the conspiracy theory would work. I know many farmers who were infected and they certainly wouldn't be part of a conspiracy. One family closed the farm with nobody in or out as soon as the disease hit the county. They still caught it.

A local farmer lost a famous herd of Dairy Shorthorns he wouldn't have allowed anyone to interfere enough to infect the animals.

I know a 16 years old (well he was then who slept out with his sheep in February to try to ensure nothing got near them.

I had a pupil at the time who could see 6 pyres from his farm bedroom window non of whom wanted to lose their herds.

What were farmers complaining about in 52, 67 and 01?

Why would a government create such a disaster which had knock on effects to large parts of the economy? If not a government who else?

Incidentally some animals without cloven hooves can catch FMD e.g. there has been a case in Humans and bears can suffer from it.

If FMD ever became endemic in our deer populations then we would have to consider vaccination and grit our teeth with regard to the economic consequences.

Not all cloven hooved animals are effected by FMD to the same extent it varies with the virus type. For example pigs were barely touched in the 1967 outbreak whereas the 2001 outbreak started in pigs.

Deer and their relations are known to get FMD but rarely so it isn't too surprising that it doesn't appear in their populations particularly as those populations do not exist in such close conditions as cattle/sheep/pigs which are either housed close together or come close together at certain times such as milking.

Studies in Bulgaria following an outbreak in wild boar showed no deer infected or carrying.

I would also suspect that if/when it gets into a wild population that population will probably die out (in the small local area) as the animals will be too sick to feed and unable to move to a new area. The presence of more UV light in the environment of animals not being housed at times may also have a bearing on the survival of the virus in the field. (This last paragraph is my conjecture).

I am not sure how the conspiracy theory would work. I know many farmers who were infected and they certainly wouldn't be part of a conspiracy. One family closed the farm with nobody in or out as soon as the disease hit the county. They still caught it.

A local farmer lost a famous herd of Dairy Shorthorns he wouldn't have allowed anyone to interfere enough to infect the animals.

I know a 16 years old (well he was then who slept out with his sheep in February to try to ensure nothing got near them.

I had a pupil at the time who could see 6 pyres from his farm bedroom window non of whom wanted to lose their herds.

What were farmers complaining about in 52, 67 and 01?

Why would a government create such a disaster which had knock on effects to large parts of the economy? If not a government who else?

Incidentally some animals without cloven hooves can catch FMD e.g. there has been a case in Humans and bears can suffer from it.

If FMD ever became endemic in our deer populations then we would have to consider vaccination and grit our teeth with regard to the economic consequences.

. Cheers for that really informative, thanks for taking the time

"I've got a slug."

"Does it talk?"

"Not really."

[quote

But it flies rapidly through the air and makes a hole in the opposite wall. It's a .45 calibre slug.

Edited by Athy

Have you checked the regulations on those?

A sprinkler system is just the start of the rquirements

And you're an expert on the Fire Phoenix and its needs are you?

Edited by Dar Kuma

OK I've just trawled through the archives to find Dave's 50th birthday banter thread ... and yes it was curry goat and not goat curry.

Oh the shame - humble pie is duly eaten

:-)

Edited by Ange

Sounds like he was really getting on your goat.

Jokes Revisited No. 34987

This one is an ancient one and was discovered in the cellar of Tooting Car Man's (geddit?) pyramid outside Cairo. They would not let him build his pyramid withing the city walls, as the inhabitants considered the joke to be so worn out that it would bring ill repute to Ancient Egypt. They also had to bury the Stargate so that this joke would not reach other civilisations in the far corners of the Universe.

OK I've just trawled through the archives to find Dave's 50th birthday banter thread ... and yes it was curry goat and not goat curry.

Oh the shame - humble pie is duly eaten

:-)

As was suggested earlier in the thread I reckon this is actually "curried goat", misheard.

A bit like 'josher' is a mis-hear for 'Joshua' and happened so often it gained currency in its own right.

Grumpy aren't you

Obviously a sense of humour failure so....Get knotted

not at all, I was actually trying to keep this thread going, pity you took it the wrong way.

by the way, The Fire Phoenix doesn't exist.

Well of course it doesn't - Tchah!

Perhaps this is one of those occasions when the use of a tongue in cheek smiley (in your post 109 and on my part in my following post) would have aided us both in communicating clearly to each other that humour was in play