Goat

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

I have read all of the posts and some of them are complete tosh.

my goat will be a pet, not a farm animal, it would not be livestock.

and I don't see how it could get foot and mouth as it would not be in the vicinity of any other animals apart from the normal cats and dogs.

Sorry but that does not alter the law.

Incidentally the last foot and mouth out break could have been caused by something as simple as stock coming in contact with meat products that originated abroad. The 1967 outbreak was caused by a train carrying meat from (I think) Liverpool to London.

RSPCA website

"Contact the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) for details on the law concerning the keeping of goats.

Its only 1 goat, i dont want a herd of them.

Copied from pygmygoat.co.uk

The Pygmy Goat as a Pet:

The pygmy goat in this country is kept as a pet and not as a utility animal. It is the ideal pet for those who want to keep goats but do not want the bother of milking every day. They are intelligent and respond readily to human company, however they are herd animals and should be kept with at least one other goat for company. They make the ideal family pet, being small, self-exercising and fun to have around. They are very hardy and providing they are kept in the right conditions, they are rarely ill. A well-fenced area with a shelter and something to climb on would make an ideal area for a couple of pygmy goats.

So you'll need at least 2 of them

Housing and Feeding

One of the advantages of keeping pygmy goats is they do not need a lot of space. Two pygmy goats can be kept quite happily in a relatively small area. They will need a shed for sleeping and shelter from the elements; 8` x 6` is quite adequate for two goats. They will also need a `play area` where they can exercise and climb and jump to stop them becoming bored. A secure 4` high fence is very important if you want your goats to stay put. Stock fencing can be used for this and is less expensive than other forms of fencing.

They should be fed a goat mix twice a day, about two to three ounces a time, in a small bowl. (It is important not to overfeed as this leads to obesity and can cause scouring). You should feed hay ad lib and give clean drinking water each day. They will also enjoy chopped up fruit and vegetables as a treat. Contrary to popular belief, they do not make good lawn mowers, being browsers rather than grazers.

Beware of poisonous plants, the main ones being yew, rhododendron, laburnum and fir trees. For a more comprehensive list please refer to the Pygmy Goat Club publication called Notes.

Are you going to fence off the towpath everywhere you moor up?

Do not buy on impulse.

It is very easy to get carried away with the cute little male kid that needs a home. You must remember, that kid will grow and you could end up with a smelly male that hasn`t been castrated, or, as sometimes happens, you find you have bought a cross breed that grows much larger than you expected

RSPCA website

"Contact the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) for details on the law concerning the keeping of goats.

Its only 1 goat, i dont want a herd of them.

I know I haven't spent long looking at that URL but goats don't seem to be mentioned. The number of animals you have doesn't matter, at least it didn't when I last kept animals.

What do you know about Foot and Mouth? The reason for pets coming under the same law as farm animals is (or was when I last kept them) is that the pet is just as likely if not more so to catch say Foot and Mouth. There was strong evidence in the 1967 outbreak that the virus was spread by the wind.

I doubt they "powers that be" want a goat drifting down the canal potentially infecting stock in down wind pasture.

Why do you feel one goat should be treated differently to a group of goats?

Shall we apply that to other situations, say the canals. But I only want to moor one boat in London permanently on this piece of towpath. I don't want a whole fleet!

and I don't see how it could get foot and mouth as it would not be in the vicinity of any other animals apart from the normal cats and dogs.

Ignorance is bliss.

Did you actually read the link posted by PeterX? Here's an exert for you:

Keeping a Goat as a Pet

A pet goat is, for most purposes, treated by the authorities no differently from any other farm animal. If you wish to keep a pet goat there are a number of requirements you will have to comply with. These apply even if you only intend to keep 1 goat as a pet. The main rules and regulations which apply to the keeper of a goat or goats are as follows:

Rules relating to the identification of a goat

It is a requirement that each individual goat be identified. Identifying Marjorie the pet goat by her name or taking a photograph of her is not sufficient for the purpose of the regulations! Compliance with the regulations is generally achieved by “double tagging” the goat. Double tagging involves an ear tag being fitted to each of the goat’s ears with a unique 12 digit number for each goat. This will consist of a 6 digit “Herd Mark” (see below) followed by a 6 digit number to identify the individual goat.

Alternatively the goat can be identified using 1 ear tag and a tattoo, 1 ear tag and a pastern mark (a band which is placed around the lower leg of the goat) or by fitting a microchip.

Some times it is necessary to replace ear tags, for example when one has been lost. In such circumstances it is a requirement that you replace the ear tag within 28 days from the date upon which you realised that the ear tag had been lost.

Rules relating to the land upon which you intend to keep the goat

If you intend to keep a pet goat you will need to obtain a “County Parish Holding (CPH) number”. This is a unique number which identifies the land upon which you intend to keep the goat. A Country Parish Holding number can be obtained from the Rural Payments Agency and must be obtained within 30 days of you acquiring the goat.

“Herd Marks

A “Herd Mark” is a unique number identifying a person’s herd of goats. You will need to obtain a herd mark even if your “herd” only consists of a single goat. A herd mark can be obtained from the Animal Health Office.

The herd mark is designed to identify any kids born on a farm. However, one is still needed even if you have no intention of breeding any kids

If you ever need to buy any replacement ear tags you will have to provide your herd mark before you can purchase any replacement ear tags.

The requirement to keep a “Holding Register”

A Holding Register is a document which all goat keepers are required to keep. It is necessary to keep the Holding Register for 3 years from the date upon which the last animal on the holding (i.e. the land to which the County Parish Holding number relates) dies or leaves the holding. The Holding Register should record the following matters:

Movements

All movements to and from the land upon which a goat is kept (i.e. the land to which the County Parish Holding number relates) should be recorded in the Holding Register. This includes trips to and from vets and to and from show grounds. Any movements must be recorded in the Holding Registry within 36 hours of the move.

An inventory as to the number of animals kept

Even if you only own 1 goat you are required to write the total number of goats kept on the holding on the 1st December of each year.

Replacement tags

If your goat, for example loses one of its ear tags, and there is the necessity to replace the tag this should be recorded in the Holding Register. The replacement of any ear tags should be recorded within 36 hours on the Holding Register.

not much live stock round here, lots of birds, maybe I should watch out for bird flu....

only if you want a pet boat or pet boats Jerra, you've gone the other end of the spectrum, stop that.

why do people always go to extremes to try and debate.

Edited by Dar Kuma

A pet goat (even a pigmy goat) is the same species as those livestock pigmy goats, and of course that means they can suffer the same diseases - and transmit them. And that's before we even think about zoonoses. If you don't understand how it could get FMD then you don't understand how transmissibility of diseases - which is the main driving force behind all the regulations on double tagging, passports, movement licences etc etc.

I'm on the darkside robert, norfolk broads.

I've never heard of the Norfolk Broads called the "darkside" before but whatever. Are you one of those "anonymous" internet warriors that are going to implement a new world order? (Given your avatar?) Or are you simply a boater that wants a pygmy goat but really hasn't thought it through?

you want 1 too mike

see everyone wants a pygmy goat

robert, see this link, top google result wink.png

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=norfolk+broads+darkside&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=MhHVVcT0IKXW7Aa50I-gCg

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.

Please contact the website administrator.

Honestly, all this about animals and diseases - if you want to catch something nasty go and sit on an aeroplane, or bus, or train with all those people coughing and sneezing. Not to mention the lice on the head rests!

Better still, for more exotic viruses and bacteria, try the waiting room at your doctors' surgery or a hospital - all crowded together in there, pretending you may be interested in Good Housekeeping or Readers Digest, magazines that everyone else has fondled.

Dar Kuma - have you looked the Internet for info about keeping Pygmy Goats?

I don't see what's wrong with having a goat and taking it on cruising adventures - what an interesting life for a goat.

If animals are 'unclean', keep dogs out of pubs - and put underpants on them, we don't all want to see their dangly bits as they trot up the towpath.

They used to have pigmy goats on a yard I kept my horse at, bloody things ate EVERYTHING!! Including my horses tail! Even stood on him if he laid down in the field, not that he minded.

Bought some lovely goat neck for the 'kids' at Birmingham rag market, much to the disgust of the Jamaican lady who was happily telling me what brilliant stew it made.

i just want a pygmy goat....

Nobody not even the government wants to stop you having a goat, only they want you to have one within the law. Nothing strange in that I assume you do most things within the law.

I don't see what's wrong with having a goat and taking it on cruising adventures - what an interesting life for a goat.

If animals are 'unclean', keep dogs out of pubs - and put underpants on them, we don't all want to see their dangly bits as they trot up the towpath.

It isn't a question of goats being unclean or even passing on disease to humans. The law is there to prevent the spread of FMD etc. The last FMD out break cost the country millions and resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of animals.

EDIT to add: 6,500,000 farm livestock killed in the 2001 outbreak and case spread to Ireland and the continent.

Edited by Jerra

Nobody not even the government wants to stop you having a goat, only they want you to have one within the law. Nothing strange in that I assume you do most things within the law.

Screw the law, the police will do what they want same as the criminals.