Goat

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

CRT's new regulation for Standedge Tunnel, every boat must be accompanied by a goat:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/webintra/wildlifenews/images/article_images/3691.jpg

Goat writes book about the K&A:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judas-Goat-Kennet-Narrow-Mystery/dp/1861510004

Mr Bean liked this song:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e2/bb/fb/e2bbfb31fd73f19de6dfad291b916225.jpg

This is disturbing:

The difference being...? We speak of lamb curry and chicken curry, what is wrong with "goat curry"?

We do indeed speak it the way you say.

But in the caribbean where it is very popular and in caribbean restaurants here, it will be listed as "curry goat" and curry goat is what you will be served. If you ask for goat curry they will look at you sideways, put you right, and serve you curry goat.

I've been thinking of buying a pygmy goat

I'm not sure if you're serious or not - and I have no idea why you've put it in General Boating.

Firstly, the CPH number - you'll need this. You'll need to obtain one, and it needs to be a piece of land to obtain it on, not a boat. End of. Without it, you will not be able to purchase a goat because nobody in their right mind will sell you it and do the required transfer. If someone does offer a goat for sale, its either outside of the legal registration requirements (therefore illegal) or they're risking a massive fine, which no farmer will risk etc etc.

Ok assuming you're semi-serious and do in fact have a suitable area of land, to keep a goat on - go for it! They are one of the most sensible and profitable livestock to keep in small numbers. Beef cattle are extremely marginal unless you are a large scale rearer (like, 1000+ animals); sheep are alright if there's a suitable setup and you're conversant with the various rules, and have experience with sheep health issues (they are more burdensome than cattle); dairy is probably not a good area to invest in at the moment, at least short term and realistically these days needs a £1m+ setup to be viable - so VERY long term investment needed there. Pigs are also extremely marginal these days. Not sure on chickens/geese/ducks etc.

Yes, as a longtime fan of Jamaican music I've come across the expression many times. It's the name which Jamaicans give to one of their national dishes, alongside saltfish & ackee or rice and peas (which does not usually contain peas).It refers, as I said, to a goat curry.

So, by your reckoning, what I ate for dinner last night was curry lamb?

Yes, as a longtime fan of Jamaican music I've come across the expression many times. It's the name which Jamaicans give to one of their national dishes, alongside saltfish & ackee or rice and peas (which does not usually contain peas).It refers, as I said, to a goat curry.

Most of the South-Asian establishments round here will use meat/dish or dish/meat interchangeably. This may be because in the original languages the adjective might precede or succeed the noun -- I don't know. Either way, the Kathmandu Tandoori Restaurant doesn't seem to care.

Most of the South-Asian establishments round here will use meat/dish or dish/meat interchangeably. This may be because in the original languages the adjective might precede or succeed the noun -- I don't know. Either way, the Kathmandu Tandoori Restaurant doesn't seem to care.

Shurely the Tandoori Kathmandu Restaurant?

No.

That's a different dish altogether.

Here in Croydon we have an impressive variety of food shops and restaurants from around the world, including Caribbean, so I think I'll check out their word order when I see it; the predominant item they offer seems to be jerk chicken.

I think a lot of curries which are made with lamb in the UK are more often made with goat in India, but goat meat is available here, perhaps more likely to be found in a halal shop. I bought some a while ago from one of them and made a nice goat curry as we English call it.

I have read all of the posts and some of them are complete tosh.

my goat will be a pet, not a farm animal, it would not be livestock.

and I don't see how it could get foot and mouth as it would not be in the vicinity of any other animals apart from the normal cats and dogs.

Edited by Dar Kuma