Goat

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

You may find them advertised in Canal Goat magazine.

Cropredy is one of the few festivals that allow dogs in.

Mrs. Athy and I were wondering if this was the year that the dogs outnumbered the people.

I was considering alpacas, they can keep the grass down on the towpath by the boat, tow it if the engine fails and spit at cyclist passing by too fast. biggrin.png

Also get a free jumper every year

Edited by BGA

Goats..I have 4 over the fence at Horror House..they don't seem to eat the knotweed so if your plan is to buy a goat to clear the areas of knotweed that grow in odd parts of canal network you might consider getting a sheep instead.

CaRT would welcome Im sure anyone who helps clear towpaths be it goat or man.

or Alpacas..having just seen above..do Alpacas spit? thought that was camels

Edited by patty-ann

Here's a giant snag to the goat on boat idea; the DEFRA rules about movement of farm animals apply, to prevent spreading foot and mouth:

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/animal-law/pet-goats.htm

Within 30 days of acquiring your goat you will need a CPH (County Parish Holding) number to identify the land on which it is kept, and somehow I think you'd have great difficulty getting one of those allocated to a boat, so I think even if you don't have a home mooring your goat will certainly need one. Then you must notify your local authority each time you move the goat (Movement Record form AML1), and I wonder whether every place you move to must have its own CPH number and associated paperwork. Rather like CRT, the rules as to what constitutes a separate location may be a bit open to debate, but you'll be needing to show how little the goat has moved!

Also note: "The Welfare of Animals (Transport) (England) Order 2006 sets out rules relating to the transportation of livestock." Here's some bedtime reading for you: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/3260/article/20/made

Basically, I reckon you could keep a goat at a home mooring once a certain amount of paperwork is done, if you have sufficient grazing there, but as soon as you want to take it for a cruise you are entering a world of red tape pain.

• Greenie 1

One of the coffee-table waterways books from 15 or so years ago includes a photo of a Gracian-bearded chap on board his boat and accompanied by his goat, on the Mon & Brec I think.

A greeno for reviving the spirit of the Goon Show: Home Moorings For Goats!

Here's a giant snag to the goat on boat idea; the DEFRA rules about movement of farm animals apply, to prevent spreading foot and mouth:

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/animal-law/pet-goats.htm

Within 30 days of acquiring your goat you will need a CPH (County Parish Holding) number to identify the land on which it is kept, and somehow I think you'd have great difficulty getting one of those allocated to a boat, so I think even if you don't have a home mooring your goat will certainly need one. Then you must notify your local authority each time you move the goat (Movement Record form AML1), and I wonder whether every place you move to must have its own CPH number and associated paperwork. Rather like CRT, the rules as to what constitutes a separate location may be a bit open to debate, but you'll be needing to show how little the goat has moved!

Also note: "The Welfare of Animals (Transport) (England) Order 2006 sets out rules relating to the transportation of livestock." Here's some bedtime reading for you: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/3260/article/20/made

Basically, I reckon you could keep a goat at a home mooring once a certain amount of paperwork is done, if you have sufficient grazing there, but as soon as you want to take it for a cruise you are entering a world of red tape pain.

A brief exert from Peter's link:

I am thinking of getting a pet boat. Are there any rules or regulations I would have to comply with?

Keeping a Boat as a Pet

A pet boat is, for most purposes, treated by the authorities no differently from any other farm animal. If you wish to keep a pet boat there are a number of requirements you will have to comply with. These apply even if you only intend to keep 1 boat as a pet. The main rules and regulations which apply to the keeper of a boat or boats are as follows:

Rules relating to the identification of a boat

It is a requirement that each individual boat be identified. Identifying Marjorie the pet boat by her name or taking a photograph of her is not sufficient for the purpose of the regulations! Compliance with the regulations is generally achieved by “double tagging” the boat. Double tagging involves an ear tag being fitted to each of the boat’s ears with a unique 12 digit number for each boat. This will consist of a 6 digit “Herd Mark” (see below) followed by a 6 digit number to identify the individual boat.

Alternatively the boat can be identified using 1 ear tag and a tattoo, 1 ear tag and a pastern mark (a band which is placed around the lower leg of the boat) or by fitting a microchip.

Some times it is necessary to replace ear tags, for example when one has been lost. In such circumstances it is a requirement that you replace the ear tag within 28 days from the date upon which you realised that the ear tag had been lost.

Familiar sort of ring to it, isn't there?!

(Spilling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The difference being...? We speak of lamb curry and chicken curry, what is wrong with "goat curry"?

She meant to say "Hurry, goat!" before they stick it on a skewer, or slice it & dice it & turn it into a curry.

Goats on boats:

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/goat-boat.jpg