CaRT doesn't respect boaters

Allan(nb Albert)

Featured Posts

I am never surprised by the attitude expressed towards narrowboatworld by some on here.

However, I posted the link for those that may be interested enough to actually want to discuss the issues raised ...

Not sure if John is referring to this forum's Dean or Dean Davis who was mentioned in the article.

I was referring to the forum Dean as an example of lack of respect.

But referring to the other Dean he is a great loss to boaters in his role of Customer Service Manager, in that role he was able to communicate with boaters and explain some of the reasons behind CRT decisions. Now I did not always agree with him but respected the fact he was able to explain in an honest way. He was also prepared to try other ways of doing things. Pir new Customer Service Manager is notable by his absence. When I asked for a meeting to discuss Winter Mooring the request was refused prior to any announcement but was grugenly offered at some date in the future when it was to late to have a meaningful discussion

Is 'respect' not a bit of an odd word anyway, open to all sorts of interpretations and almost bound to invite low marks: 'C&RT don't respect my desire to constantly overstay so I'll mark then down', for example.

I don't expect to be respected when I buy something, I expect to to be treated courteously and efficiently and have problems dealt with as expediently as possible. I'm not suggesting they'd do any better if they asked about courtesy and efficiency but they might have some more quantifiable issues identified.

Is 'respect' not a bit of an odd word anyway, open to all sorts of interpretations and almost bound to invite low marks: 'C&RT don't respect my desire to constantly overstay so I'll mark then down', for example.

I don't expect to be respected when I buy something, I expect to to be treated courteously and efficiently and have problems dealt with as expediently as possible. I'm not suggesting they'd do any better if they asked about courtesy and efficiency but they might have some more quantifiable issues identified.

Well I imagine the question were set by CRT so until they publish the full results it is difficult to know how the question was phrased

Stan (who I cruise with) phoned up Monday to renew his licence, the first question the lady asked was "have you read the letter" Stan asked "what letter" reply from lady "the one we sent you" reply from Stan I am a ccer and receive no post, reply from lady "we emailed it to you" reply from Stan "but I don't have email, can I please renew my licence" Reply from lady "you want a licence for boat without home mooring and you should have read the letter" Reply from Stan "I have not had a home mooring for 10 years, can I please pay for my licence" What a performance!!!

Edited by cotswoldsman

To pick 1,000 at random for each survey is a complete waste of time. The first 1000 should be a "representative sample" creating a baseline for an attitude survey. You then use this baseline to plot change against delivery of your strategy. Constantly using a wild pack provides no significant value upon which to extrapolate impact of change.

To pick 1,000 at random for each survey is a complete waste of time. The first 1000 should be a "representative sample" creating a baseline for an attitude survey. You then use this baseline to plot change against delivery of your strategy. Constantly using a wild pack provides no significant value upon which to extrapolate impact of change.

And you know this was not done?

Well I imagine the question were set by CRT so until they publish the full results it is difficult to know how the question was phrased

Stan (who I cruise with) phoned up Monday to renew his licence, the first question the lady asked was "have you read the letter" Stan asked "what letter" reply from lady "the one we sent you" reply from Stan I am a ccer and receive no post, reply from lady "we emailed it to you" reply from Stan "but I don't have email, can I please renew my licence" Reply from lady "you want a licence for boat without home mooring and you should have read the letter" Reply from Stan "I have not had a home mooring for 10 years, can I please pay for my licence" What a performance!!!

Yeah, that'd fail courteous, efficient and expedient for me. 'Null points'.

A certain popular boating related website publishes a continuous barrage of articles that are clearly intended to show CRT in a bad light.

Just from ONE page:

"WITH Canal & River Trust (CaRT) now known to have misled the public with exaggerated claims regarding the number of ‘Friends' it has..."

"THE public is less satisfied with Canal & River Trust than they were a year ago, despite claims regarding 'a year of success',"

"THE decision to attach metal 'stops' on paddle gear by Canal & River Trust to prevent the pawls being lifted clear has proved yet another in the long list of bad decisions by the Trust,"

"THE unwillingness of Canal & River Trust (CaRT) to maintain its waterways leads to accusations that it has adopted a policy of ‘fix on fail'

"IF YOU look on the Canal & River Trust's web site it's full of references to wildlife and how CaRT goes about its business whilst doing its best for the local flora and fauna, writes Ralph Freeman.

In reality I suggest this is far from the truth!"

Perhaps lack of satisfaction is a self-fulfilling prophecy...

John is correct in saying we will have to wait for the full report to know how the question was phrased. It might not even have had the word 'respect' in it and might have been more than one question.

However, it is obvious that the Trust wanted to ascertain what proportion of boaters felt the Trust respected them and a question (or questions) were designed for that purpose.

Otherwise why would Dean Davies have reported to the Board - 'only one in four (24%) boaters say they feel respected by the Trust'?

I'll never willingly click through to NBW, nor put any stock in anything they say-it's generally like reading a 12 year old's dinlo re-write of a Daily Fail story, with the odd exception of when I have found myself reading plagiarized content, which was on at least one occasion, my own!

It also makes me SMH when someone affiliated with the site and who actually wrote the piece in question starts a thread on it here with clickbait that doesn't mention this fact, as if they just happened upon something interesting on NBW by coincidence that they thought was worth sharing-particularly given the well-recorded views of most on CWDF about Victor's soapbox-come-vanity project!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 3

I'll never willingly click through to NBW, nor put any stock in anything they say-it's generally like reading a 12 year old's dinlo re-write of a Daily Fail story, with the odd exception of when I have found myself reading plagiarized content, which was on at least one occasion, my own!

It also makes me SMH when someone affiliated with the site and who actually wrote the piece in question starts a thread on it here with clickbait that doesn't mention this fact, as if they just happened upon something interesting on NBW by coincidence that they thought was worth sharing-particularly given the well-recorded views of most on CWDF about Victor's soapbox-come-vanity project!

Bit harsh! NBW have put plenty of truthful information with regard to CaRT, whether you choose to believe it or not. With 25% of boaters being happy with their service or feeling respected is extremely poor. Facts are facts. If CaRT were to tell the truth, not bully, be held accountable for their failures and deal with boaters respectfully and not as inmates, I am sure things would run a lot smoother. Lets start with getting rid of the the non independent Waterways Ombudsman, a few of CaRT's managers, happy days.........maybe, or does the problem go higher, it was government run after all?

NBW have put plenty of truthful information with regard to CaRT, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Maybe they have - but almost exclusively with a negative "spin".

You have to look hard to find any NBW articles that give CRT any credit at all for anything.

I'm beginning to wonder if someone from CRT ran off with the editor's wife....