Navigating locks

Paulboy

Featured Posts

As a new boater I would appreciate some views on the following aspects of locking:

1 Is it acceptable to "nudge" lock gates gently with the front of the boat to assist the person opening them?

2 If I come to 2 parallel sets of locks [eg Hillmorton] can I use either - or is it usual to use a particular lock?

Thanks for your help.

Nothing wrong with a GENTLE nudge on the top gate.

Last time I passed Hillmorton there was only one lock in each pair operational - but if there is a choice go for the one with the more appropriate water level.

Edited by eightacre

Duplicate locks - use the one which is, or will soon be, the correct water level for you. Eg if you're going up and there's 1 of the 2 in use with a boat going down, the other being full or near, wait for the one coming down to make that lock available rather than also emptying the other. I always try to set the other lock for another boat if I am aware of it and it will be to its benefit, eg if there's one behind me and I'm going down, I'll fill the other and if time permits open its gates too, to help them. There is normally enough time to do something useful.

There was a youtube video doing the rounds of someone nudging lock gates in quite a big way recently. That was a bit extreme to say the least, but I'd say that, if you wait for the levels to equalise, there's very rarely going to be any requirement to nudge a lock gate open with your boat. When the levels are right, you'll see and sometimes hear the gate ease - any pushing and shoving before that point is largely futile, so enjoy the pause and savour your new life in the slow lane. If the water levels are the same and you are still genuinely unable to move the gate manually for some reason and belive you really have no choice but to apply a little more force, then 'gently does it' as someone said above. Others may disagree and say how thay shove the gate with their boat all the time, but if everyone nudges gates open with many tonnes of boat, we'll all be waiting a little longer whilst CRT repair the gates. Perfectly reasonable question though - enjoy your boating.

When going up in a lock, I generally have forward tickover enabled, this doesn't nudge the gate, it's just gives pressure to open it when the levels allow.

When approaching a lock which may or may not be empty from the bottom, I will get to within 30-20 feet and then give the boat a reverse blast, then tickover forward. If the lock is empty or almost empty, the gates will open slightly, if not, it is get off and use the paddles.

There was a youtube video doing the rounds of someone nudging lock gates in quite a big way recently. That was a bit extreme to say the least, but I'd say that, if you wait for the levels to equalise, there's very rarely going to be any requirement to nudge a lock gate open with your boat. When the levels are right, you'll see and sometimes hear the gate ease - any pushing and shoving before that point is largely futile, so enjoy the pause and savour your new life in the slow lane. If the water levels are the same and you are still genuinely unable to move the gate manually for some reason and belive you really have no choice but to apply a little more force, then 'gently does it' as someone said above. Others may disagree and say how thay shove the gate with their boat all the time, but if everyone nudges gates open with many tonnes of boat, we'll all be waiting a little longer whilst CRT repair the gates. Perfectly reasonable question though - enjoy your boating.

Only gates that are completely rotten and well overdue for replacement are harmed by being shoved open with a boat.

In the days of narrowboat carrying it was not unknown for loaded boats to bash gates open with the best part of a foot to go before it was level. No harm resulted from this apart from the very occasional broken collar which takes no more than a few minutes to replace.

When going uphill, if the bottom gates are a bit worn and leaky, the level inside the lock may struggle to rise the last inch or two because the reduced flow through the paddles has become no more than the flow out at the other end of the lock. In this situation it can be difficult to get the top gates open without a little help from the boat, and a gentle nudge is the answer in my view. Once a small gap opens between the gates, enough water will get in to equalise the levels and the gates should open the rest of the way easily.

I aim to use the engine to push the boat against the gate once having got the boat touching. I avoid using the momentum of the boat to hit the gate as there is considerably more energy available this way and I might overdo it and damage the gate.

When going uphill, if the bottom gates are a bit worn and leaky, the level inside the lock may struggle to rise the last inch or two because the reduced flow through the paddles has become no more than the flow out at the other end of the lock. In this situation it can be difficult to get the top gates open without a little help from the boat, and a gentle nudge is the answer in my view. Once a small gap opens between the gates, enough water will get in to equalise the levels and the gates should open the rest of the way easily.

I have never had to do that yet,

I aim to use the engine to push the boat against the gate once having got the boat touching. I avoid using the momentum of the boat to hit the gate as there is considerably more energy available this way and I might overdo it and damage the gate.

Like the one who entered this lock too fast

HgXDFij.jpg