Wardle Lock - Boat sunk

junior

Featured Posts

I'm in bizarre internet land at the moment when I can intermittently post on here but can't get Facebook to work. I can't remember which page I read it on Facebook but apparently the boat was stuck in reverse and was sunk by the waterfall from the back gate. I'll endeavour to find links to first hand reports tomorrow (hoping we moor in a moor in a 3 friendly site!)

I had this happen on the GU, the linkage came adrift in the reverse position as I drew back from the bottom gate and I went all the way back against the cill and leaking water, I had to stop the engine to push the boat forward to get clear of it. I have a trad stern so nothing to fill up except the back cabin,

Looking at those photos I'm a bit confused by all the posts saying how badly that lock leaks. It doesn't look any worse than many other locks we've been through this year.

I don't think it is that bad. Many people seem to be unable to distinguish large flows, which empty pounds, and splashy fountains, which can fill boats.

MP.

Looking at those photos I'm a bit confused by all the posts saying how badly that lock leaks. It doesn't look any worse than many other locks we've been through this year.

Tom

I agree, and think that the fact the lock gate leaks is a red herring. The reason is, even if it didn't leak, rainfall still occurs, so a boat which is capable of gathering water eg in a cruiser stern engine bay, and has no way of clearing that water and remaining afloat, is a liability. For a boat to have so little buoyancy in reserve than an averagely-leaking gate can put enough water into the engine bay and sink it, suggests that a pre-existing problem was there and the lock passage was the "straw that broke the camel's back", figuratively speaking. Sticking in reverse is unlucky but shouldn't lead to sinking a boat, on a canal.

I agree, and think that the fact the lock gate leaks is a red herring. The reason is, even if it didn't leak, rainfall still occurs, so a boat which is capable of gathering water eg in a cruiser stern engine bay, and has no way of clearing that water and remaining afloat, is a liability. For a boat to have so little buoyancy in reserve than an averagely-leaking gate can put enough water into the engine bay and sink it, suggests that a pre-existing problem was there and the lock passage was the "straw that broke the camel's back", figuratively speaking. Sticking in reverse is unlucky but shouldn't lead to sinking a boat, on a canal.

This is copied from Facebook now I've got a half decent internet connection -

"From talking to the owners (all family present on the side) there was some sort of mechanical problem and it was stuck in reverse, hence 'pinned' against the far bumper under the waterfall. This water flooded the engine bay, stopped the engine, boat drifted forwards as the rest of the boat was flooded, and it ended on the bottom of the lock. :-( Owner paid RCR to pump out boat as he didn't have their cover, as he's a mechanic, but admitted he's "not very good at plumbing! " with a wry smile on his face"

This is copied from Facebook now I've got a half decent internet connection -

"From talking to the owners (all family present on the side) there was some sort of mechanical problem and it was stuck in reverse, hence 'pinned' against the far bumper under the waterfall. This water flooded the engine bay, stopped the engine, boat drifted forwards as the rest of the boat was flooded, and it ended on the bottom of the lock. :-( Owner paid RCR to pump out boat as he didn't have their cover, as he's a mechanic, but admitted he's "not very good at plumbing! " with a wry smile on his face"

As I said, the only way I got away from the cill was stop the engine and push against the top gate. If the engine is still running you have no chance.

Seen a few longer boats nearly come to grief on the Wigan Flight over the years, owing to leaky back gates. I cringe when I hear people claiming that "you can shove 'em in diagonally" etc. If doing that, make sure that there is a powerful, working bilge pump.

Seen a few longer boats nearly come to grief on the Wigan Flight over the years, owing to leaky back gates. I cringe when I hear people claiming that "you can shove 'em in diagonally" etc. If doing that, make sure that there is a powerful, working bilge pump.

Totally agree with you on that one. We have just nicely come back from the LL up and down the Wigan flight in a 60 footer and it is tight and very wet.We shared the locks going up and down. If not for the cratch the bow would have had a proper soaking and on the way down OH got a wetting as he had to back up to the cill and the torrent of water in order for me to get the gates open. Unless we get a considerably shorter boat or CRT spend some money up there we will not be going back in any hurry.

Edited by tillergirl

As I said, the only way I got away from the cill was stop the engine and push against the top gate. If the engine is still running you have no chance.

Yep sorry limited internet plus boating made my responses a bit sporadic. I do wonder why they didn't switch the engine off. Panic does switch off the brain sometimes so definitely not a judgemental comment - I'm the first to go into brain freeze when anything bad happens!

Latest news I have is that the boat was raised and towed by RCR to the slipway behind Kings Lock.

Apparently the boat was taking on water before it went into the lock. Not sure where it was heading for, but evidently didn't make it.

So the lock wasn't responsible for the sinking, but it might have taken on some water in the lock which was, as someone said, the last straw.

I'm the first to go into brain freeze when anything bad happens!

And yet, when everyone else was shouting at each other, it was you that stepped forward to help me out of the water at Pelsall

Richar

And yet, when everyone else was shouting at each other, it was you that stepped forward to help me out of the water at Pelsall

Richar

Ah yes - my normal reaction to potential disaster is to freeze and shout "DAVE!". Maybe him being out of action clearing the prop made the difference :)

(Actually I remember thinking what the Scooby are you lot doing - this man needs help getting out now - so maybe I'm not so useless)

(Actually I remember thinking what the Scooby are you lot doing - this man needs help getting out now - so maybe I'm not so useless)

You strike me as an excellent person to have on the scene in an emergency.

But why was Richard in ze water at Pelsall? (He obviously isn't the type to fall in!)

You strike me as an excellent person to have on the scene in an emergency.

But why was Richard in ze water at Pelsall? (He obviously isn't the type to fall in!)

Thanks Mikey Bee :)

We were bow hauling Tawny while Dave was down the weedhatch and there was a piece of bank that looked solid but collapsed when Richard stood on it. My biggest fear was that Tawny would swing back to the bank and squish Unkle Richard.

ETA this is pure Tawny competitiveness on the BCN Challenge - that boat don't stay still apart from the required rest period

Edited by Ange

Was this on the BCN Challenge? I don't remember mention of it!

Twas on the BCN Challenge 2012 if my fuddled brain has worked it out correctly.

Edit no no it was 2013 - working back 2015 Tawny, 2014 Iona, 2013 Cobbett - lol yep it must have been 2012. Fuddled :)

Unkle Richard was a tad embarrassed at the the time so we (amazingly) kept quiet about it.

Edited by Ange

Twas on the BCN Challenge 2012 if my fuddled brain has worked it out correctly.

Edit no no it was 2013 - working back 2015 Tawny, 2014 Iona, 2013 Cobbett - lol yep it must have been 2012. Fuddled smile.png

Unkle Richard was a tad embarrassed at the the time so we (amazingly) kept quiet about it.

I remember it though so I reckon it must have been reported on here. If I remember rightly there was also a photo