Remember Ed Rimmer?

starman

Featured Posts

We moored up in Evesham today and this old chap walking by the river started talking to us knowledgeably about narrowboats and builders.

He said he'd heard that Steve Hudson had died and when I told him Graham Edgson had taken over the yard he said "he built a 70ft tug for me - called Apache".

It was then the penny dropped - this was Ed Rimmer of Challenger Shared Ownership notoriety who got two and a half years for fraud after it went belly up a few years ago.

Didn't want to embarrass him with my knowledge so we parted with pleasantries.

• Greenie 1

I believe his wife died of cancer, not the best way to spend what should be your retirement years. I chatted to Ed a few times and he gave me some useful information, but I also heard how he refereed to this customers when they weren't about.

We moored up in Evesham today and this old chap walking by the river started talking to us knowledgeably about narrowboats and builders.

He said he'd heard that Steve Hudson had died and when I told him Graham Edgson had taken over the yard he said "he built a 70ft tug for me - called Apache".

It was then the penny dropped - this was Ed Rimmer of Challenger Shared Ownership notoriety who got two and a half years for fraud after it went belly up a few years ago.

Didn't want to embarrass him with my knowledge so we parted with pleasantries.

"Apache" was a very nice looking boat that was bought by forummember GS-er, who hasn't posted for a long while, hope he's well.

Peter.

"Apache" was a very nice looking boat that was bought by forummember GS-er, who hasn't posted for a long while, hope he's well.

Peter.

I think he went off to look after his dad - no idea if he still has the boat.

I haven't seen Apache for a long time now, nor the money Ed owed me for the lettering, but it's all long ago now and many others lost much more. I'm surprised he has the gall, but then again....perhaps not!

On a more positive note, things are shaping up at Glascote. The dry dock has a new watertight gate, along with a new gantry to make removal easy. It will shortly be available for DIY hire. Moorings are being taken up too...looking good!

Cheers

Dave

I haven't seen Apache for a long time now, nor the money Ed owed me for the lettering, but it's all long ago now and many others lost much more. I'm surprised he has the gall, but then again....perhaps not!

On a more positive note, things are shaping up at Glascote. The dry dock has a new watertight gate, along with a new gantry to make removal easy. It will shortly be available for DIY hire. Moorings are being taken up too...looking good!

Cheers

Dave

Good news Dave.

I first saw Apache on the K+A - lovely boat.

Last time we saw it moored in Tattenhall Marina, Chester.

• 5 months later...

Good news Dave.

I first saw Apache on the K+A - lovely boat.

Last time we saw it moored in Tattenhall Marina, Chester.

Yep it's still moored at Tattenhall, not getting a lot of use from her at the moment but that could change at any time, should get a few trips in this year fingers crossed!

Yep it's still moored at Tattenhall, not getting a lot of use from her at the moment but that could change at any time, should get a few trips in this year fingers crossed!

Nice one - she's a stunner. :)

Hi Paul, good to see you're still around.

Hope you'll get the time this year to enjoy at least a few trips on your beautiful boat.

Atb, Peter.

Hi Paul, good to see you're still around.

Hope you'll get the time this year to enjoy at least a few trips on your beautiful boat.

Atb, Peter.

Its took me three years to realise that i needed to find some respite cover to give me a break from 'dad duties'. Hopefully the new arrangement we've set up will work well and i'll have more than 2 days off a year!!

I hope all is going well with yourself and perhaps our paths will cross again at some point.

Hi Paul . Nice to see you back . If we come your way this summer will give you a call . Hope you get away with Apache for a few days this year, put your feet up and enjoy the cut . Is your fit out all finished? Should be stunning from what I saw when you left us at Aldermaston . Bunny

We chanced upon a photo shoot for his first Challenger boat (?was it Norfolk) as we worked up the S&W one late evening in the summer. We thought 'wow' pretty boat with a proper (Lister) engine. Very smart.

Sad to see that over the years purchasers got stuffed with all sorts of fraud.

The original idea got screwed, outright fraud from the beginning, grand ideas not working, incompetence or what??

Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSc*, SSc**, was the Red Dwarf character.

(* Bronze Swimming Certificate

** Silver swimming certificate)

He never went down the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal to complete the set, then?

Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSc*, SSc**, was the Red Dwarf character.

(* Bronze Swimming Certificate

** Silver swimming certificate)

Beat me to it.

As you say Arnold J Rimmer not Ed Rimmer, who, by all accounts has well earned the nickname beloved of Arnold j Rimmer.

If you are reading this and wondering what I'm blathering on about you have missed one of the greatest SciFi comedy series ever produced.