CRT is re developing its website - see the Beta version.

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

So, you have been sent a link to a beta test site, and a password to access that site.

Did they give you permission to share that password?

The reason for not broadcasting links to beta sites is because the developers are looking from constructive focused input that will help them make the changes needed to produce a site ready for general use. The snide and irrelevant comments already posted show why it's best not to broadcast links.

• Greenie 1

The reason for not broadcasting links to beta sites is because the developers are looking from constructive focused input that will help them make the changes needed to produce a site ready for general use. The snide and irrelevant comments already posted show why it's best not to broadcast links.

Yes I agree better to go live and then get slaughtered

So, you have been sent a link to a beta test site, and a password to access that site.

Did they give you permission to share that password?

Grow up Dave frankly I find your input as dire as usual.

There is nothing in the email saying you cannot share and it says its being made public soon.

To be fair, I never suggested it was the fault of CaRT's web developer.

For goodness sake I know you didn't.

Did you miss the use of the words 'may not'?

It was a dig at Microsoft's reputation for producing sometimes dodgy web browsers.

It crashes the edge browser in Windows 10 on a large screen PC and does not display properly with latest chrome and Andriod 5.0.2 on my phone. Works ok on my Hudl with chrome and an older version of Android.

I don't see any advantages over the old website for boaters but they are not the target audience. I suspect many will find it difficult to navigate on small screens due to large page content.

There has been a document search facility added but this does not work very well at the moment.

I tried it on IE Firefox and MS_Edge on Windows 10 and all worked fine no crashes.

I see nothing wrong in a website redesign particularly if it works better on multiple formats/media

Edited by churchward

Grow up Dave frankly I find your input as dire as usual.

There is nothing in the email saying you cannot share and it says its being made public soon.

Yes, it is in the nature of beta sites that they eventually go live.

It is also in the nature of beta testing to restrict the audience for early beta sites.

If you are asked to beta test a site and given a password, it is implicit that the password isn't to be posted in a forum. If you want a public beta to be stress tested you remove the password.

I get it that you have fallen out with CRT. That doesn't excuse ignoring the basic etiquette of being invited to a preview.

Not at all. I presume they have contacted those of us who have provided helpful input in the past, rather than just going live.

Ah was wondering who else had been sent the link.

Can just see them sitting round meetings for weeks deciding who to send the link to, working there way through a long list.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Ah was wondering who else had been sent the link.

Can just see them sitting round meetings for weeks deciding who to send the link to, working there way through a long list.

I've been providing feedback and corrections for years, mainly simple factual stuff. CRT are much more responsive than in the days of Waterscape.

There a little bit at the bottom in very small print saying you must use a bona fida browser to navigate to a different page on the site every 14 days.

That's because a small number of users were hanging around on one page, making it a nanosecond slower for others, and so they wished to discourage such flagrant abuses of bandwidth, so that all users could enjoy the site equally.

However, under the Communications Act, that only applies to continuous surfers using an internet cafe, and not if you have a home broadband connection.

You should also be careful that if you do navigate to a different page, and then use the back button to return, you may still be logged as overstaying on that page.

There a little bit at the bottom in very small print saying you must use a bona fida browser to navigate to a different page on the site every 14 days.

But if you make CRT your homepage you will probably be OK, providing you don't then spend your time hopping between CWF and NBW.

Their new design is typical of the current trend in Websites. If you argue that a web presence is important in this day and age and you want to encourage people to visit the waterways (for what ever reason and please lets not get into a "walkers don't pay anything" argument) then you need a responsive and interactive website.

Yes it will have cost some money but, like the TV adverts, sometimes you have to pay money out to get money in... Justifying spend on intangible benefits is never easy but it has to be done.

You don't get it StephenA .. defunct transport systems should be kept pretty much secret from everyone and fully funded to be maintained in peak condition by taxpayers so a very small percentage of the population can play on them.

Do you ever have anything good to say about C&RT?

Not at the moment. I have watched at close quarters a relatively good and approachable BW become a mix of untold levels of management with its eyes "off the ball", the maintenance and moral fall dramatically and now have to wonder where this is leading. So no I have nothing good to say at all and not on my own in this respect as others who have worked closely have found the same.

After working with them as a volunteer for over 40 years they have in the last two or so killed my enthusiasm to want to do so.

Richard Parry met with me here before xmas, promised lots of answers for our group and then after preparing our boat, nothing happened, we have never again heard from him, the "work" promised never came. They really DO want equipped volunteers ...err I think not! Now our boat is sold and CRT can go to the dogs as far as I am concerned.