Stoves & flues

Onewheeler

Featured Posts

Our Squirrel has breathed it's last, cracks everywhere, looks beyond economical repair and I've got better things to do than try to fix it. (Bits available if anyone wants them).

The replacement will be anything but a Squirrel, possibly a Boatman or maybe a Hamlet 5. Either way, the current mild steel 4.5" flue will be too short and it's a bit corroded.

Any views on whether to get a new length of mild steel welded up (I need a couple of gentle bends to get to the chimney fitting tidily) or go for an enamelled single skin flue? My inclination is the latter, as I suspect that one of the causes of the end of the Squirrel was the weight of the flue sitting on it. (Incidentally, the Boatman site says that double skinned flue is now mandatory on all new boats - is this right, I'd understood that the BSC is only recommending double skin).

Cheers!

Martin/

nb Boden, Oxford on Thames

The wording is "new" meaning to meet RCD not sure if it is compulsory but if it is then yet another thing decided by committee for no good reason.Have they never heard of risk analysis ? Has anyone been killed by this un-insulated flue pipe.

Our Squirrel has breathed it's last, cracks everywhere, looks beyond economical repair and I've got better things to do than try to fix it. (Bits available if anyone wants them).

The replacement will be anything but a Squirrel, possibly a Boatman or maybe a Hamlet 5. Either way, the current mild steel 4.5" flue will be too short and it's a bit corroded.

Any views on whether to get a new length of mild steel welded up (I need a couple of gentle bends to get to the chimney fitting tidily) or go for an enamelled single skin flue? My inclination is the latter, as I suspect that one of the causes of the end of the Squirrel was the weight of the flue sitting on it. (Incidentally, the Boatman site says that double skinned flue is now mandatory on all new boats - is this right, I'd understood that the BSC is only recommending double skin).

Cheers!

Martin/

nb Boden, Oxford on Thames

A common cause of stove cracking, when the flue is sitting directly on the stove and is not flexible at the top. Which is why I said in the other thread the flue should be fitted into the roof collar with flexible silicone and be slightly floating (to allow for expansion) at the bottom, and again fitted with asbestos rope and silicone.

As I understand it, to satisfy the RCD, any equipment has to be fitted as per manufacturers' instructions. Hence why it is suggested that stoves should have a double-skinned flue (although plenty of new installations don't). For the same reason we don't have a hole in the bottom of the boat under the gas cooker.

For BSC it just needs to be safe.

Edited by dor
  • Greenie 1

Salamander are great and adjusted the flue kit to suit my boat and the fact that I wanted the flue out the back of the stove to leave the top open - plenty of room for a kettle or fan on top. I also got the stand and brass galley rail. The flue parts are all good quality.

http://salamanderstoves.com/product/small-stove-stand/

Got mine 3 years ago, and am pleased with it.

I went for a Hobbit stove (I like the look of it) with about 500mm of double skinned insulated flue where it passes through the roof, and insulated chimney above. From the stove to the roof bit is vitreous enamel. HETAS man that checked it said it was good.

I like the idea of a short length of insulated through the roof fitting. I'll have to measure up to see if the hole is big enough.

Martin/