Upper Thames - Radcot bridge damaged - navigation closed.

Oldman

Featured Posts

Any body on the upper Thames the river is now closed to navigation at Radcot bridge due to a lorry doing its best to demolish the bridge. The police say it could be closed for some considerable time. Goon news there is a pub close by.

That is a real shame - it's one of the oldest (if not the oldest!) remaining bridge over the Thames......

M

I'm sure others here will have better knowledge than I, but I had the idea that the adjacent bridge over the original channel was the oldest.

Tim

Lorry hit the bridge at 9.30am today and we arrived at the bridge at 10.30 on our way down to Oxford. The latest news is that the bridge could be closed for days not hours!! I am sure the EA will post it soon.

We were planning to head for Lechlade next week. Does anyone know where the EA has the stoppage notice for this, there is nothing here

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Radcot Bridge has been closed to all traffic after a lorry strike on 11 August 2015. The bridge parapets and stone balustrade over the navigation arch have been damaged and will have to be re-built. We and Thames Valley Police are concerned about the risk of falling masonry and have decided to close the bridge to navigation traffic. We are working with Oxfordshire Highways and Thames Valley Police to have the repairs completed as soon as possible. It is estimated that the bridge will be closed until the end of August. We will be displaying this information at locks and will provide an update when it is available.

Tim

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Radcot Bridge has been closed to all traffic after a lorry strike on 11 August 2015. The bridge parapets and stone balustrade over the navigation arch have been damaged and will have to be re-built. We and Thames Valley Police are concerned about the risk of falling masonry and have decided to close the bridge to navigation traffic. We are working with Oxfordshire Highways and Thames Valley Police to have the repairs completed as soon as possible. It is estimated that the bridge will be closed until the end of August. We will be displaying this information at locks and will provide an update when it is available.

Tim

Thanks, I think the have only just put that on as I looked there as well. So looks like we are not going to Lechlade then.

Oh! I'm so pleased that I bought a months licence to explore the Thames! construction.gif

Still, Oxford and the river below are still nice, with lots of out of the way moorings as long as you don't want the whole of your boat alongside!

Lets hope this is sorted soon, as I can imagine, there are lots of boats the wrong side of it, for whatever reason!

Nipper

Pure supposition on my part but likely that once loose stonework is removed or secure the EA will probably take their launch through and take soundings off the river bed to see that channel clear then open the river again.

There will probably be intermittent stoppages of short duration when bridge repairs start.

Pure supposition on my part but likely that once loose stonework is removed or secure the EA will probably take their launch through and take soundings off the river bed to see that channel clear then open the river again.

There will probably be intermittent stoppages of short duration when bridge repairs start.

Yes, my thought also!

I wont be changing my direction of travel until I reach the bridge!

By then I would think, that all loose stonework would of been taken down or make safe and perhaps a protective scaffold put around, if we are lucky!

Just think of the hire boats up there, wanting to get back down to their bases by the end of the week!

Methinks it wont be that long until passageway can be made

Nipper

Edited by nipper

The latest news about Radcot bridge is that they are dredging under the bridge today to clear the rubble that fell into the river. They will remove all the loose bits and hope to have bridge open to navigation by the weekend.

The latest news about Radcot bridge is that they are dredging under the bridge today to clear the rubble that fell into the river. They will remove all the loose bits and hope to have bridge open to navigation by the weekend.

Thanks for that, I hope that turns out to be true. We would expect to be there on Tuesday or Wednesday either turning round or going on up to Lechlade.

Lovely bridge that, is that the one with the left hand turn just after it going upstream? Used to take hirers through it before showing them how to wind

Yes Radcot bridge.. The bridge where I met another approx 57x12ft barge a couple of years ago - immediately above right on the blind bend... We were both moving at a slow cruising speed and managed to avoid hitting each other by the skin of our hull paint. Was most pleased as it looked like a heavy contact was going to happen. Fortunately the other skipper didn't panic and hit reverse, and I actually increased forward speed as that gives more maneuverability .. A memorable occasion that was :)

Nice bridge its a shame if its been destroyed...

Crap pub though

Edited by magnetman

Yes Radcot bridge.. The bridge where I met another approx 57x12ft barge a couple of years ago - immediately above right on the blind bend... We were both moving at a slow cruising speed and managed to avoid hitting each other by the skin of our hull paint. Was most pleased as it looked like a heavy contact was going to happen. Fortunately the other skipper didn't panic and hit reverse, and I actually increased forward speed as that gives more maneuverability .. A memorable occasion that was smile.png

Nice bridge its a shame if its been destroyed...

Crap pub though

Yeah agreed rubbish pub. I used to go just round the S, show the hirer how to wind then hand over control as they started to head for the splitters on the outside of the bend going downstream back to the bridge, great fun!

Any body on the upper Thames the river is now closed to navigation at Radcot bridge due to a lorry doing its best to demolish the bridge. The police say it could be closed for some considerable time. Goon news there is a pub close by.

Just had a text from friemds 'stuck' at Lechlade saying that they have been told that the navigation is now open.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The EA site has been updated to say that the Bridge is open to navigation.

14 August 2015

Radcot Bridge has reopened

Radcot Bridge is now open to river navigation traffic. This has been achieved by working in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council.

Work to repair the bridge will be planned in later in the year. We will provide boaters with advanced notice for any closures or restrictions required to complete the work.

Is one allowed to ask the nationality of the lorry, and nationality of registration plates?

(spotted: A lorry crash? That bridge has a 7.5T weight limit and there are signs on the approach roads clearly indicating 'unsuitable for long vehicles'.... So how did it happen?)

Edited by Emerald Fox

Previously pondered:

Is one allowed to ask the nationality of the lorry, and nationality of registration plates?

(spotted: "A lorry crash? That bridge has a 7.5T weight limit and there are signs on the approach roads clearly indicating 'unsuitable for long vehicles'.... So how did it happen?")

Answers on a postcard...