Daisy Ashford, Hotel Boat 1974 and Lichfield Wooden Walkers Butty

Duchess

Featured Posts

I am trying to complete the timeline history of Daisy Ashford, built at Rugby in 1973/4 and fitted out by Rugby boats at Hillmorton.

I have the basics of the first 8 years until 1982 and I have the History of owners from 1990 but the bit from 82 - 90 is missing.

in those 8 years Schools Abroad sold the pair into private ownership and DA's name was changed to Jessica.

Jessica was sold three times in this period the last time in around 1990.

She is now called Andromeda No 5, and i'm sure some of you know her as that.

The 3 sales were by the Narrowboat registaer at Sawley, Sawley may have the records but were reluctant to help when asked.

Also interested to know of any skippers of the boats whilst in the ownership of Schools Abroad.

Thanks in advance and for reading

I remember DAISY ASHFORD and LICHFIELD very well when operating as schools holiday boats as they were in direct competition with the pair that I operated out of central Birmingham (1979 - 1985). As professional boatmen we all got on very well and the competition of our business's was never really discussed. At that time there were probably 20 pairs operating within the camping / hostel boat business in the midlands. My boats travelled all across the waterways whereas DAISY ASHFORD and LICHFIELD operated only between Warwick and Wooton Wawen (winding below Cape top lock and Wooton Wawen). DAISY ASHFORD and LICHFIELD were operated by a young couple at that time, and they had their baby on board for the last year or so that they worked this pair. My records suggest that Schools ABroad purchased DAISY ASHFORD and LICHFIELD in October 1977 and sold them in 1979 - and they were formally hotel boats owned / operated by D. and K. Fforde, London. The subsequent owner operated DAISY ASHFORD and LICHFIELD in the same way and on the same route until ceasing their operations in late 1984 or early 1985 (end of 1985 season would make sense).

DAISY ASHFORD and LICHFIELD were sold through Warwickshire Fly Boat Company in 1985 / 1986 (see Waterways World magazine August 1985 page 71), and both carried these names at this point. Although DAISY ASHFORD was originally built and fitted by Rugby Boatbuilders it suffered a devastating fire in 1982, being refitted complete with a new steel cabin by Warwickshire Fly Boat Company in 1983. When advertised for sale in 1985 DAISY ASHFORD was still fitted with its original Lister HB2 diesel engine and had a 10 berth configuration.

LICHFIELD sold quite quickly to become a house boat near Cropredy, but DAISY ASHFORD was still being advertised for sale in September 1986. I do not know when DAISY ASHFORD was sold or who it was sold to.

I hope this helps captain.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

Thank you so much for this info, much of what you have told me I already had some knowledge of but the 1985/6 sale is very interesting and I will persue it. I believe that after D & K Fforde sold to Schools abroad, Schools Abroad operated the boats after the fire and into 1984. Interested in the young couple with the child, what years were these?

I have now got a survey from 1989 showing a previous name and a sale in 1989. That though was when the boat was called Jessica.

I will keep digging, thank you

I am trying to complete the timeline history of Daisy Ashford, built at Rugby in 1973/4 and fitted out by Rugby boats at Hillmorton.

I have the basics of the first 8 years until 1982 and I have the History of owners from 1990 but the bit from 82 - 90 is missing.

in those 8 years Schools Abroad sold the pair into private ownership and DA's name was changed to Jessica.

Jessica was sold three times in this period the last time in around 1990.

She is now called Andromeda No 5, and i'm sure some of you know her as that.

The 3 sales were by the Narrowboat registaer at Sawley, Sawley may have the records but were reluctant to help when asked.

Also interested to know of any skippers of the boats whilst in the ownership of Schools Abroad.

Thanks in advance and for reading

Picture of DA in December 1984 above lock 51 whilst it was being used by WRG/NT as our rest room during one of the winter 'Stratford Blitzes' volunteer restoration works periods.

2015-08-20%2000-20-15_0001-L.jpg

Tim

Thank you Richard and Tim

Richard, I went up to Hillmorton in late 09 to see Lichfield, apparently it was seized by BW in 2010 and lifted from the water where it broke. that was probably why you saw it at Stockton it was lifted by Tuckeys.

Tim thanks for the pic from 1985, do you know whether Schools Abroad still owned her then and leased to WRG?

Thank you Richard and Tim

Richard, I went up to Hillmorton in late 09 to see Lichfield, apparently it was seized by BW in 2010 and lifted from the water where it broke. that was probably why you saw it at Stockton it was lifted by Tuckeys.

Tim thanks for the pic from 1985, do you know whether Schools Abroad still owned her then and leased to WRG?

Afraid that 30 years dulls the memory but am sure that if David Hutchings was involved Daisy Ashford would have been borrowed rather than leased. Don't know who owned it then.

Tim

• 3 months later...

I am wondering whether this picture of Jessica will jog any memories?

Someone purchased Daisy Ashford in around 1986 with the Livery shown in Tim's picture and the name was changed to Jessica and repainted into these colours.post-17836-0-15556000-1449406364_thumb.jpg

post-17836-0-47010900-1449406623_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

My wife and I ran these boats for one year after Des & Katie stopped. We had an informal repairing agreement with them, so we spent springtime sprucing them up and one summer running down to Stratford and on to Tewkesbury and back.

I’ve got some old slides of that summer which I must try to convert to digital pics - I think it was either 1979 or 1980

We didn’t know enough about business at that time to make it work financially - more interested in boats and lifestyle at that age !

It was tricky getting the boats through some of the locks above Stratford - lots of rocking and ratchet straps involved. Great stuff when you’re in your early 20’s.  Piers Smith. (Longer Boats)

• 10 months later...

Hi Duchess. I holidayed on Lichfield and Daisy Ashford with Holidays Abroad in April 83 and again April 84 with my school. Both times they were ran by John and Dawn with their child. Sorry I can't remember the surnames but they were a lovely couple who had a cottage close to the Stratford Canal. Both times we travelled from Kingswood Junction to Stratford. I hope the following photos upload ok.

Jerry

Scan0019.jpg

Scan0020.jpg

Scan0021.jpg

Scan0022.jpg

Scan0023.jpg

Scan0024.jpg

Scan0025.jpg

Scan0026.jpg

Scan0027.jpg

Scan0028.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Jerry

the photos are great, thank you. I had no internal pics at all of either of the boats these will be a great addition.

I had John and Dawn noted in my notes (was it Mills?) when I visited Lapworth a few years ago the gent in the canal cottage said that John drinks in the local pub so hes still about. 

?

No problem at all.

Some great memories.

I really can't remember the surname at all but if I remember rightly part of their appeal was that as kids, we thought it great that they introduced themselves on first name terms as opposed to Mr & Mrs...........

Great to know John is still about. Wonder if Dawn is too.

I remember waking one morning in Lichfield ( boys slept on Lichfield, girls on Daisy Ashford , with the floor wet and calling into a boatyard to have a quick repair done to a hole on the port side, just behind the well deck....lol.

I also remember getting drunk and being ill after smuggling a few mixed spirits from my parents drinks cabinet in a jam jar for myself and my mate. Dawn had a quiet word, changed my bed and covered for me with the teachers. I had the ultimate respect for her right there in that instant. I was 15 at the time ?. Fantastic times,.

Jerry

• Greenie 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/04/2019 at 11:46, Piers Smith said:

My wife and I ran these boats for one year after Des & Katie stopped. We had an informal repairing agreement with them, so we spent springtime sprucing them up and one summer running down to Stratford and on to Tewkesbury and back.

I’ve got some old slides of that summer which I must try to convert to digital pics - I think it was either 1979 or 1980

We didn’t know enough about business at that time to make it work financially - more interested in boats and lifestyle at that age !

It was tricky getting the boats through some of the locks above Stratford - lots of rocking and ratchet straps involved. Great stuff when you’re in your early 20’s.  Piers Smith. (Longer Boats)

Hi Piers

i have sent you a private message, I hope you find it. 

Hi

no it was this one, Daisy Ashford, at Lapworth. Not quite above Oxford but Lichfield was at Oxford after 1985

9 hours ago, rivergate said:

Was it Lichfield that burned out above Oxford about 25 years ago..? 

On thinking about it that would be very late 90’s

i have only just found out who was on LICHFIELD from 1986 to about 2004 then I saw LICHFIELD myself in 2009 at Hillmorton.

2010 she was taken out of the water and broken up 😭

IMG_8709.jpeg

3 hours ago, Duchess said:

i have only just found out who was on LICHFIELD from 1986 to about 2004 then I saw LICHFIELD myself in 2009 at Hillmorton.

2010 she was taken out of the water and broken up 😭

IMG_8709.jpeg

Lichfield was below the snow covered Watford flight in Winter 2008/9, I will try to dig a photo out tommorow.

13 hours ago, spud said:

cheam with fatalities 

..that's right - I couldnt remember her name..it was a terrible night - the heat was so strong it was just impossible to get into her by the time we realised she was a blaze..she was immediately in front of my pair..it was horrible..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...