which signal should I have used please?

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

As your example clearly demonstrates the first responsibility of a boat's captain when disabled in this way is the move the boat out of the channel so as not to present an obstruction or a danger to themselves or other vessels.

That this was a muddy ditch in Buckinghamshire rather than the busy commercial Thames doesn't alter that principle.

To claim that to do so would put the boat aground is no excuse as once the boat was aground it would no longer be an obstruction and the correct response by an approaching boat would be to facilitate this. There is no question of 'ramming' or failing to appreciate the situation in these circumstances.

Tony Dunkley is entirely correct in his analysis that the OP appears simply another example, of which there are so many, of using ignorance and inexperience as a a reason for not following proper procedure as if in some way there was an alternative rule book just for them.

I am currently travelling along the Chesterfield Canal and I would challenge you (or anyone else) to move the boat out of the navigation channel if the prop becomes fouled by anything. This has happened a few times so far and, I don't give a monkey's what any regulation may or may not say, I ain't going to be able to get the boat out of the way until the prop has been cleared. There is generally a central channel in this canal that is about 15 feet wide (or less) outside of which navigation is impossible due to lack of depth (it's often less than a foot deep at the sides). Mooring places are few and far between. If you try and pass me in this channel whilst I am down the weed hatch you will simply draw my boat towards yours, probably resulting in a collision (which will be due to you not navigating with care and reasonable consideration). You may claim your 'rights to navigate' if you wish but practicality to me says wait for the few minutes it is going to take me to clear the prop (I would wait for someone else in the same circumstances, or even, heaven forbid, offer assistancerolleyes.gif )

• Greenie 2

I am currently travelling along the Chesterfield Canal and I would challenge you (or anyone else) to move the boat out of the navigation channel if the prop becomes fouled by anything. This has happened a few times so far and, I don't give a monkey's what any regulation may or may not say, I ain't going to be able to get the boat out of the way until the prop has been cleared. There is generally a central channel in this canal that is about 15 feet wide (or less) outside of which navigation is impossible due to lack of depth (it's often less than a foot deep at the sides). Mooring places are few and far between. If you try and pass me in this channel whilst I am down the weed hatch you will simply draw my boat towards yours, probably resulting in a collision (which will be due to you not navigating with care and reasonable consideration). You may claim your 'rights to navigate' if you wish but practicality to me says wait for the few minutes it is going to take me to clear the prop (I would wait for someone else in the same circumstances, or even, heaven forbid, offer assistancerolleyes.gif )

I would agree - I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Lovely canal but not enough boats using it.

As a matter of interest, did you get through lock 47? I got a bit stuck and decided to turn around, rather than try and force my way into the lock and get really stuck. [i have reported to CRT, who will take some measurements in due course].

Have been following this thread and all I have to say is, Bettie, you have been a member for long enough now to know whose advice is sensible and whose "white noise" to ignore.

PS still waiting for cookies.

Phil

You know what Phil; I did notice the other day our postman looks to be putting on some weight...sending you another batch today, 1/2 doz of coconut creams and 1/2 doz of peanut butter with chocolate chip - do let me know if these ones don't arrive either and I'll have words with the postman icecream.gif

I would agree - I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Lovely canal but not enough boats using it.

As a matter of interest, did you get through lock 47? I got a bit stuck and decided to turn around, rather than try and force my way into the lock and get really stuck. [i have reported to CRT, who will take some measurements in due course].

Yes it is a lovely canal but could do with a few more places to moor which may be why not enough boats use it (or is it that they wont create any more places to moor because there aren't enough boats using it unsure.png ) anyway, I knew what to expect and am enjoying it!

As far as Lock 47 goes, that is the 'deep' lock above The Lock Keeper pub isn't it? Yes, we got through that with no problem at all but then we got through Hurleston without getting stuck either. Was your difficulty with width or depth? Going into and out of several of the locks I have dragged the cills a bit because I'm 2'10" draught but haven't had to bow haul into any lock (yet!!). As far as width goes, they don't seem any narrower than those on the South Oxford. Tomorrow we hope to press on to the head of navigation at Kiverton so fingers crossed!

Yes it is a lovely canal but could do with a few more places to moor which may be why not enough boats use it (or is it that they wont create any more places to moor because there aren't enough boats using it unsure.png ) anyway, I knew what to expect and am enjoying it!

As far as Lock 47 goes, that is the 'deep' lock above The Lock Keeper pub isn't it? Yes, we got through that with no problem at all but then we got through Hurleston without getting stuck either. Was your difficulty with width or depth? Going into and out of several of the locks I have dragged the cills a bit because I'm 2'10" draught but haven't had to bow haul into any lock (yet!!). As far as width goes, they don't seem any narrower than those on the South Oxford. Tomorrow we hope to press on to the head of navigation at Kiverton so fingers crossed!

Thanks - good luck!

My problem was width not depth (we take about 22 inches, and the pound concerned was full). All very odd - I got through Hurleston myself in 2008 or so, and the South Oxford many times over the years, with no problems. I've reported to C&RT, who did some work on another rather narrow lock near there recently and are about to do some laser surveying work on another - I think there are quite a few subsidence problems on that particular stretch. The alternative is that my boat has developed some middle aged spread somewhere, which is not a cheering thought. I need to find a way of measuring the beam accurately.

The West Stockwith lock keeper thought that the tidal Trent, and the entrance into Stockwith, put off quite a few people.