Best way to use a Samsung Android tablet?

Timleech

Featured Posts

My three sisters seem to be wedded to their tablets, and made the very generous offer when I was stuck in hospital recently to buy me one to help to pass my time. No use in practice there, my brain was already too numb from hospital existence to cope with the strangeness, plus the advertised WiFi didn't work on my ward.

Now I sort of have it up and running at home, I'm thinking of taking it with me if and when we manage to go boating, so I'm looking for practical tips to make it more useable (in my eyes). Best way to use for emails and best way to make, eg, this forum readable, that sort of thing. Easy way to import email addresses, is there a better email client than that supplied. Is there a version of Thunderbird that can be used on the machine?

My son tells me it's all supposed to be 'intuitive' on a tablet (he's not a fan himself).

I do have a Huawei ? dongle thingy to access the web when away from home.

The highest tech we've carried on the boat up to now has been basic mobile phones.

Many thanks

Tim.

If its a dongle (not a mifi) and the tablet doesn't have a SIM slot, then you'll need something else too, to access the internet. The easiest thing would be a mi-fi such as Huawei E5331 or similar. Get one unlocked (or same network as the dongle) and swap the SIM into it.

Email - personally I'd use one main "store" for your emails eg a computer/laptop running Thunderbird (or whatever your choice of email client), then simply use the tablet's built in email client to check the emails "online" - ie don't download any to the device. If you do you'll be forever transferring and losing emails.

There's a bunch of apps suitable for boaters/boating, such as Antenna Alignmnent, Google Maps, Google Mytracks, Boat Speedometer, etc. Download apps and do updates at home on your main internet, to save on data usage while out and about.

If its a dongle (not a mifi) and the tablet doesn't have a SIM slot, then you'll need something else too, to access the internet. The easiest thing would be a mi-fi such as Huawei E5331 or similar. Get one unlocked (or same network as the dongle) and swap the SIM into it.

Email - personally I'd use one main "store" for your emails eg a computer/laptop running Thunderbird (or whatever your choice of email client), then simply use the tablet's built in email client to check the emails "online" - ie don't download any to the device. If you do you'll be forever transferring and losing emails.

There's a bunch of apps suitable for boaters/boating, such as Antenna Alignmnent, Google Maps, Google Mytracks, Boat Speedometer, etc. Download apps and do updates at home on your main internet, to save on data usage while out and about.

I used the term dongle loosely, I have the wifi or simlar & can access the internet via that. I'm not really familiar with the terminology.

on your basis, I might as well not bother with the tablet and just take a laptop if I want internet/email, was hoping to avoid the bulk and power requirements.

Why have netbooks died out? I'd have thought they are perfect for this sort of thing.

Get Kindle for Android, there's loads of free readable books on that.

Sorry, doesn't answer my questions in any way. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

On phones, the best email program is K-9 mail. It's free from Google Play. Works better than the system email client, at least better than the Android 2.x system email client. Later releases may be different.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Netbooks were "killed off" by laptop manufacturers because they offered slim profits compared to a full-spec laptop; they wanted to push the "ultrabook" format instead, as a compact portable laptop style.

Makes sense to take the laptop AND the tablet, at least for the first few trips. See which one you use - it might be that the laptop is more comfortable for browsing the internet and typing etc (eg if you're posting reponses into a forum). If just browsing, reading (emails), watching the odd video or looking at pictures then the tablet may well come out on top due to weight and battery life.

I've got the Tab S with SIM slot and 4G mobile data plan from O2. Although the plan provides for text messaging only directly, the 3GB/month data it offers tranforms connectivity when on the boat, although I usually use it with steel kitchen doors open and just the glass windows in place. Even with 2/3G signal I can use my Skype account to phone any landline/mobile with video calls to other Skype users

I've always been a fan of the Opera browser and use the full mobile Android version exclusively, with no limitations on CWDF use, displaying as on a PC/laptop. In common with all current Android devices, flash player doesn't work as its no longer supported by Adobe, and unlikely ever to be as new html versions will render it obsolete. In the meantime though there are several sites still requiring it that exclude video replay.

I find the built-in Google maps app excellent with surprisingly good voice recognition and route guidance. Similarly the Email app works fine with my POP3 account although you have to manually delete emails no longer needed in order they are removed from remote server. You then have to manually empty the Trash folder from time to time.

ETA: Forgot to mention I bought a bluetooth keyboard and matching leatherette case allowing physical use as a laptop, although the full width on-screen keyboard is great as well. TBH I hardly use my laptop now either at home or on the boat. The smaller (10.5 inch) screen is more than compensated by the brightness and high definition of the display. Photo's look fantastic.

There again you could always try the AyePad if you have Yorkshire origins and want something rugged, as suggested above rolleyes.gif

Edited by by'eck

I have a samsung pro tablet. Love it to bits. The email ap though tends to fall over and not sign in sometimes, so I have a tab via chrome for emails.. however, low power useage, some great aps available. ..I use a few photo editing aps for example....I never open my laptop these days.

I have the Samsung tab 2 10" with a Samsung keyboard, on the boat, using the calendar, facebook, camera, maps sometime, sea-map (Sweden)

The google map with navigation is great in the car. have the variant with SIM card, and free surf

Edited by Dalslandia

I have almost exclusively used my Samsung Note 12.2 for accessing CWDF the past year or so, and have only ever posted using it.

As for email, I use the following: Gmail for my Google email account; Aquamail for a POP email address; Type mail for MS / Outlook email accounts - I personally prefer to keep my different accounts all separated, although I know could put all these different email addresses in one place (Aquamail or Type mail for example). I cannot say I have experienced any notable problems with any of them. For work I also use the Samsung / Android exchange client on my Galaxy Note edge, again without any problems.

Although I have Skype, Viber & Lync (business version of Skype) installed on them I mainly use Viber if not using the phone for voice communications.

I bought the newly released Samsung Tab A before my last UK holidays and used the ecanal maps on it also without any problems while navigating the 4 counties ring & Llangollen canals, I was referencing Navionics when on 'blue water' but recently Transas has released their iSailor app on android, so have changed to this due to user function features that were missing from the Navionics app.

Although I am not a car driver it would appear that the Google Maps app is quite good when used for giving directions on roads.

I am often asked why I use Samsung as opposed to any of the other makes available, the reason is simply since the original Galaxy Note came out this is the only line of product that has provided all the features (big screen, inbuilt stylus, SIM & removable mico SD cards to name a few) that I regularly use without any problems, if another manufacturer provided all of these features and I started having issues with Samsung products, I would most certainly consider changing - the rumoured non-removable back cover & no micro SD card slot on the next generation Galaxy Notes is cause for thought.

I do take my laptop when on the cut, but only in case I need to access work files & reports - which thankfully I haven't as that would definitely interfere with why I was there in the first place (basically packing & carrying a couple of kg's of equipment that I don't use).

Edited to fix a couple of typos & fix a bit of my onglish☺

Edited by Woodsy

I have almost exclusively used my Samsung Note 12.2 for accessing CWDF the past year or so, and have only ever posted using it.

As for email, I use the following: Gmail for my Google email account; Aquamail for a POP email address; Type mail for MS / Outlook email accounts - I personally prefer to keep my different accounts all separated, although I know could put all these different email addresses in one place (Aquamail or Type mail for example). I cannot say I have experienced any notable problems with any of them. For work I also use the Samsung / Android exchange client on my Galaxy Note edge, again without any problems.

Although I have Skype, Viber & Lync (business version of Skype) installed on them I mainly use Viber if not using the phone for voice communications.

I bought the newly released Samsung Tab A before my last UK holidays and used the ecanal maps on it also without any problems while navigating the 4 counties ring & Llangollen canals, I was referencing Navionics when on 'blue water' but recently Transas has released their iSailor app on android, so have changed to this due to user function features that were missing from the Navionics app.

Although I am not a car driver it would appear that the Google Maps app is quite good when used for giving directions on roads.

I am often asked why I use Samsung as opposed to any of the other makes available, the reason is simply since the original Galaxy Note came out this is the only line of product that has provided all the features (big screen, inbuilt stylus, SIM & removable mico SD cards to name a few) that I regularly use without any problems, if another manufacturer provided all of these features and I started having issues with Samsung products, I would most certainly consider changing - the rumoured non-removable back cover & no micro SD card slot on the next generation Galaxy Notes is cause for thought.

I do take my laptop when on the cut, but only in case I need to access work files & reports - which thankfully I haven't as that would definitely interfere with why I was there in the first place (basically packing & carrying a couple of kg's of equipment that I don't use).

What's the tablet's screen like outdoors?

Interesting with Transas, I didn't knew there was an app, had an copy of transas years ago in old laptop, 2 years ago I had a guy working at transas onboard.

I run the google map naviagation, parallel with the Garmin car navigator in the car some time on longer car trips, and in general the google is better, using the same Swedish voice but is faster telling where to go. well the Garmin is getting old now. but still working.

I also have a Samsung mobil, and same google account, so have same apps in both the Tab and phone. and same calendar info.

As with most (if not all) computers, phones & tablets the screen is not that flash in very bright daylight with out cranking the brilliance setting all the way up, I usually had it sitting in a portable stand on the cabin top that I could pick it up out of to change viewing angle compared to the sun, or avoid it possibly being knocked over board by overhanging shrubbery /trees.

Interesting with Transas, I didn't knew there was an app, had an copy of transas years ago in old laptop, 2 years ago I had a guy working at transas onboard.

I run the google map naviagation, parallel with the Garmin car navigator in the car some time on longer car trips, and in general the google is better, using the same Swedish voice but is faster telling where to go. well the Garmin is getting old now. but still working.

I also have a Samsung mobil, and same google account, so have same apps in both the Tab and phone. and same calendar info.

Yes its the same Transas navigator (I also used this when still seagoing as an enc navigational aid), the android app has only been released recently, and smoothly loads on phones & tablets.

I use an original Note and find the stylus really handy, seems odd that Samsung haven't introduced it on smaller phones, after all a smaller screen is more in need of one. Edited by nb Innisfree

I use an original Note and find the stylus really handy, seems odd that Samsung haven't introduced it on smaller phones, after all a smaller screen is more in need of one.

They did, it was pocket windows OS (I think) Samsung Omnia many mango seasons ago & the stylus was externaly attached by a screw on cap on a string, probably because there was no room for it inside due to its small size.

They did, it was pocket windows OS (I think) Samsung Omnia many mango seasons ago & the stylus was externaly attached by a screw on cap on a string, probably because there was no room for it inside due to its small size.

It had a resistive screen so I assume the stylus was just that,a blind stylus, not the interactive S Pen of the Note,

When I first got it the Super AMOLED display on my Tab S version was so bright I had to put on sunglasses wink.png - then I find the brightness control wasn't wound fully up! I guess there will always be direct sunlight bright enough to impare contrast, but this model is as good as it gets.

Thanks for all sugestions. All I want to do is send & receive emails and a bit of web browsing. I do not wish to carry a laptop along, the whole point is to take advantage of the small size and low power consumption of the tablet now that I have it. We've always managed until now with basic mobile phones, ignored emails etc. I might get to play with some apps as we go along, just for fun, we'll only be boating for short days this time.

Tim