Advice to boil water on the lower half of the Lancaster & Leeds & Liverpool

frangar

Featured Posts

Due to a whoops moment at Preston water works it's been advised to boil water. The area affected looks to be from Preston to about Galgate on the Lancaster. It doesn't seem to include the Glasson branch

Details and a map here

http://www.unitedutilities.com/lancashire-boiled-water.aspx

I'm grateful we filled up the tank in Tewitfield!

Cheers

Gareth

If you filled you tank up can I suggest a shock dosing of thin bleach then rinse with unaffected water. The dose depends on size of tank and percentage of sodium hypochlorite in the bleach. Google will help. A filter like the General Ecology one will stop the bugs as well....I don't think something like the Brita or Jabsco one will..

Cheers

Gareth

No good Gareth,

"Cryptosporidium is highly resistant to chlorine disinfection." Korich, DG; Mead, JR; Madore, MS; Sinclair, NA; Sterling, CR (1990). Household bleaches are most commonly chlorine based.[/size]

That's interesting....we were told by an EHO on a festival site with a temporary water supply to use a chlorine dosing plant to combat it!

The affected area also includes the L&L from Wigan to Blackburn.

Ahhh yes. I shall report this post and maybe a mod could alter the title?

Cheers

Gareth

Damn..............do you think it will be OK by Plank Lane?? Sorry just put the post code in for Plank Lane and it says OK as does for the Kirklees Pub at the top of the Wigan Flight

Edited by tillergirl

Just stuck to drinking beer

Same effects, but much more fun

Just stuck to drinking beer

Same effects, but much more fun

Maybe CRT should provide beer points along the canal in case the water is a bit dodgy. cheers.gif

I did ask CRT to post an advisory on their stoppages system for the benefit of visiting boaters, but nothing has come through as yet.

Maybe the meetings to discuss it will be finished about when the all clear is given ... and that is when the notice will go up!

These look good as a back up for boats. Filters 9.999999999% of virus, bacteria, parasites, up to 18,000 litres.. blah blah..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FM9OBQS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1439254047&sr=8-6π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=lifestraw+go&dpPl=1&dpID=41aIRikMUZL&ref=plSrch

Edited by Rambling

These look good as a back up for boats. Filters 9.999999999% of virus, bacteria, parasites, up to 18,000 litres.. blah blah.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FM9OBQS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1439254047&sr=8-6π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=lifestraw+go&dpPl=1&dpID=41aIRikMUZL&ref=plSrch

You sure the decimal point is in the right place if not it lets over 90% of bacteria, parasites and viruses through :(

Well I was wrong.

CRT have added the advisory notices before the advice was lifted.

The maps from CRT bear no relationship to the advisories from United Utilities though.

They have missed out most of the affected area on the Lancaster and have added Wigan to Liverpool (uneccessarily) to the Leeds & Liverpool notice.

That is despite the fact they have linked to the actual advisory maps from United Utilities!

Lancaster Notice and wrong map:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4321/blackpool-chorley-fylde-preston-south-ribble-and-wyre-

L&L notice and wrong map:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4319/leeds-liverpool-canal

• 2 weeks later...

We're in Garstang Marina and our water on board is contaminated following the problems with cryptosporidium in the supply. We definitely have the bug - my wife is still quite ill and we've had to leave our boat to stay with relatives until the water is safe, as we have a toddler who shouldn't really drink mineral water that's generally full of sodium. And anyway, boiling enough water all the time is just a pain in the whatsit.

I asked United Utilities for their advice on cleaning our tank and water system once the main supply is OK, and they said: "‪We would suggest that you pump boiling water through the system‬". This may explain why they seem incapable of sorting out the problem - they're obviously completely bonkers.

I was asked about this on the Canal Boat Forum seven days ago but in light of what is in this thread referred the reader to United Utilities for advice. A couple of days later he posted his reply from UU: -

"Once we have told you that you no longer need to boil your water, storage tanks that hold drinking water need to be drained, filled with clean water, emptied again (to flush the system) and then refilled to use for drinking."

Personally I fear just flushing once may not do the job so at least multiple flushes I think. I wish we could be sure about what readily available chemical treatment will deal with this bug. Cockup from UU by which they not only make people ill but then get paid via water metering by people trying to clear up UU's mess. Brilliant but so typical.

I was asked about this on the Canal Boat Forum seven days ago but in light of what is in this thread referred the reader to United Utilities for advice. A couple of days later he posted his reply from UU: -

"Once we have told you that you no longer need to boil your water, storage tanks that hold drinking water need to be drained, filled with clean water, emptied again (to flush the system) and then refilled to use for drinking."

Personally I fear just flushing once may not do the job so at least multiple flushes I think. I wish we could be sure about what readily available chemical treatment will deal with this bug. Cockup from UU by which they not only make people ill but then get paid via water metering by people trying to clear up UU's mess. Brilliant but so typical.

Reading about it, it seems there isn't one!

The parasite is even resistant to chlorine and the advice seems to be fitting filters to filter the little blighter out!

Sounds like a nasty thing to have in your tank:-(

I was in a pub in Cleveleys yesterday. No Ice available an no Pepsi on draught. UU notices on the Pepsi pump. Interestingly, UU notice also on multi spout lager dispenser. I wonder if they water that down as well? Thank God I am a real ale man!

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale