Incident at Foxton Locks

colinwilks

Featured Posts

1. I said the public not boaters, boaters are more aware of their surroundings.

2. Remove the bridges that go across the locks.

Have you worked these locks?

The bridges are required for boaters to cross the locks.

(With balance beams both sides, and paddles on the non-towpath side they are an essential part of how it all works.

"Bystanders including locks staff managed to rescue her before she was airlifted to hospital."

Call me old fashioned but, after the air ambulance had taken the trouble to get there, I reckon they should have let them take her!

Poorly written article, but a good result for the lady concerned.

But then the helicopter is tied up for the time taken to get to the hospital. In this instance, if another emergency came up requiring the air ambulance it could go straight there from Foxton.

Sorry, are you seriously suggesting that the casualty was NOT airlifted to hospital? If so, I would suggest that you are mis-reading the article.

She was treated on the scene by the medics and then taken to hospital in the air ambulance. This is clear from other reports.

Given the circumstances, I cannot imagine any other outcome.

Have you worked these locks?

The bridges are required for boaters to cross the locks.

(With balance beams both sides, and paddles on the non-towpath side they are an essential part of how it all works.

Precisely.

We went through (both ways), three weeks ago.

There were elderly folks (some even older than me), who had to be gently shepherded off the foot-bridges, away from the lock gear and even out of the arc of the balance beams, just to be able to work the locks, bless 'em.

Perhaps some signs on the bridges, keeping visitors to the towpath side, would help. The odd stray gongoozler could then be rounded up by the volockies.

I don't think there is a need for change , this was surelt a freak occurance . However this is a very busy location in the Summer and all the lock surrounds are often crowded. What perhaps is needed is a volunteer per lock focussing on crowd control and advising onlookers of the dangers i imagine it's a popular site for volunteering as well.

However after the recent fencing proposal on a listed monument I suspect changes will be forthcoming.

"Bystanders including locks staff managed to rescue her before she was airlifted to hospital."
Call me old fashioned but, after the air ambulance had taken the trouble to get there, I reckon they should have let them take her!
Poorly written article, but a good result for the lady concerned.

But then the helicopter is tied up for the time taken to get to the hospital. In this instance, if another emergency came up requiring the air ambulance it could go straight there from Foxton.

These are not the same things. The woman was rescued from drowning by bystanders and lock staff. Then assessed and taken to hospital by the helicopter and paramedics

On the other hand, it seems a bit pointless to say so, she was never going to be taken to hospital before she was rescued

Richard

I thing a wrought iron style railing would be rather inappropriate for a rural location like this. A timber rail, as in found elsewhere on the GU, would be much more in keeping with the location.

Here's an example fencing off the sideponds at Stoke Bruerne Bottom Lock:

guij_0.jpg

Actually, you're right, and I've changed my mind- it's not the BCN, and a timber fence would be more suitable.

I can't see the problem with putting one in. The area is full of people who know little or nothing about Canals, and is a sloping bank with a hazard at the bottom. Person is taking photo of family by lock, steps back.... Elderly person is walking up, steps to the side to avoid someone, trips and rolls down... Child ignores parents and runs down hill, slips on grass...

Can I just say as someone who moors locally that whilst any accident is regrettable maybe some perspective needs to be added....this this the first such incident I have heard of in the 17 years we have been in the area....I would therefore suggest that it's quite a low risk and knee jerk reaction invoking fences, guards etc may well be overkill.

Every time there is an accident these days there seems to be a lot of hand wringing and the feeling that something must be done....this doesn't always help. I propose that perhaps just leaving things as they have been might be the best course of action unless anyone has a cure for humans making mistakes.

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 2

Oh no that must have been so scarey for the poor lady i hope she has fully recovered.

Im scared stiff of locks and not been the most sure footed person going the thort of slipping and ending up in one petrifies me .... but this is something i never even knew was possible ?

Oh no that must have been so scarey for the poor lady i hope she has fully recovered.

Im scared stiff of locks and not been the most sure footed person going the thort of slipping and ending up in one petrifies me .... but this is something i never even knew was possible

Maybe just maybe, being around locks and canals, is just not for you.

Maybe just maybe, being around locks and canals, is just not for you.

Maybe just maybe your right ?

But i think otherise and wont be able to conquer my fears till iv got my boat. Its all scarey new stuff to me the only locks iv had anything to do with was the electric ones from rotherham to doncaster.

Observations at Foxton:

Teenager leaning backwards on new fencing

Small children, crawling under new fencing

Child climbing through existing post and rail at the halfway point, running round top of steep slope and father saying "well done".

Children paddling in the by-wash also at halfway point

Children on scooters, within beam arc

Children (2 and 1 years of age) having photo taken, whilst sitting on beam closest to lock.

Other news, C&RT are looking for ways to make it safer without detriment to 'ancient monument', possibly banning general public form the ofside area

Note:

All the above witnessed on the same day, plus many other " I don't believe it moments"

Can I just say as someone who moors locally that whilst any accident is regrettable maybe some perspective needs to be added....this this the first such incident I have heard of in the 17 years we have been in the area....I would therefore suggest that it's quite a low risk and knee jerk reaction invoking fences, guards etc may well be overkill.

Every time there is an accident these days there seems to be a lot of hand wringing and the feeling that something must be done....this doesn't always help. I propose that perhaps just leaving things as they have been might be the best course of action unless anyone has a cure for humans making mistakes.

Cheers

Gareth

I am inclined to agree with Gareth, however if due to HSE implications something has to be done, then I suggest we should put our weight behind Karlos suggestion below , at least it will be more aesthetic looking than a fence or railing regardless of its construction material.

instead of a fence they could plant bushes or a hedgerow on the slope. Shouldn't detract too much from the appearance of the site but should be enough to stop someone falling down the slope.

I would have said that is is perfectly easy to design a grating to put over the entrance to the cluvert as you see many times. There is quite a big new one recently been installed near our house where a stream goes under the Stratford canal, and this is of a similar shape to this.

Trash-Screen-Assembly-(1).jpg

from here

Yikes - if the edges were sharp = sushi!

The K&A 'Existaboards' might unbolt them and have 'em up on the towpath as they would make quite good grilling racks, big pile of charcoal underneath...

From the dark side she wasn't dragged any where or even hurt. But who is right, them or the papers. http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/8292-call-for-fencing-at-foxton-locks

The dark side asserts, without any evidence, that the woman was not "sucked under a boat". But the Leicester Mercury gives a reasonably detailed description of the woman being carried through the culvert from the side pond to the lock, as related by an eye witness who works for Foxton Boat Services. I would have thought she ought to be a pretty reliable witness.

From the dark side she wasn't dragged any where or even hurt. But who is right, them or the papers. http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/8292-call-for-fencing-at-foxton-locks

Have spoken to two people that were there, the lady rolled into the side pond, went through the culvert (red paddle open) and popped up in the lock, the boat in the lock was a short, plastic cruiser.

Have spoken to two people that were there, the lady rolled into the side pond, went through the culvert (red paddle open) and popped up in the lock, the boat in the lock was a short, plastic cruiser.

I was told the same by the guys at Debdale yesterday

Edited by Tuscan

Rather than try to stop it perhaps CRT could charge for the experience? I'm sure it would appeal to extreme sports enthusiasts!.....say £20 a lock?....if they wore helmet mounted cameras whilst they did it CRT could use the footage to inspect the state of the culverts and hopefully avoid anymore unexpected stoppages.....there might have to be a maximum waist size allowed though.....

Cheers

Gareth

Rather than try to stop it perhaps CRT could charge for the experience? I'm sure it would appeal to extreme sports enthusiasts!.....say £20 a lock?....if they wore helmet mounted cameras whilst they did it CRT could use the footage to inspect the state of the culverts and hopefully avoid anymore unexpected stoppages.....there might have to be a maximum waist size allowed though.....

Cheers

Gareth

Whatever happened to the saying

Red before White

you be alright

White before Red

You be dead

Whatever happened to the saying

Red before White

you be alright

White before Red

You be dead

Vlockies still giving out that mantra at both Watford and Foxton. On our recent travels in both cases the Vlockies where boaters taking a day off on the water to help out! They where great people and helped with, at first, a complex looking flight!