Shower Tray fixing

Featured Posts

Just close to fixing in a shower tray, the instructions say to set it on mix of fine sand and cement (even on ply) to cover the total area of the tray and not to use silicone, foams, mastic insulation compounds adhesives as an alternative. What are others experiences. I appreciate the instruction relate to a domestic situation and not sure if this is directly transferable to the narrow-boat environment.

On my tray the walls, by that I mean the outside edge are slightly longer than the base is deep, so in other words there is a gap between the floor and the flat area you stand on. If it is not firmly supported it will flex and crack - especially if a bit heavy like me.

Builders foam, silicone etc are not that rigid, and so there is a risk of flexing, hence the instructions given.

So I bought some ready mixed (dry) sand/cement from Wickes, added water in a bucket, and used that to set it on. 3 years later it has not cracked.

Make sure the waste hole in the ply is big enough to fit the waste unit, and make sure the mortar mix does not obstruct the hole otherwise you will be unable to fit the waste pipe.

I ignored the cement instructions on mine and used a strong adhesive/sealant, I think it was Sticks Like S**t. It is sitting on 25mm ply and is unlikely to flex much. The base of the tray was quite flat. My tray also comes in a version that stands on 4 legs. If it can work like that I think gluing on 25mm ply will also work.