venetian marina?

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

They owned the boat we bought.

They owned the one we bought, it was bought as a stock boat and was cleaned and prepped for sale as you would expect.

That doesn't mean that they own all the boats that they sell though. The vast majoirity are brokerage boats whereby it is the owners responsibility to present it in a reasonable fashion to potential buyers.

They owned the one we bought, it was bought as a stock boat and was cleaned and prepped for sale as you would expect.

That doesn't mean that they own all the boats that they sell though. The vast majoirity are brokerage boats whereby it is the owners responsibility to present it in a reasonable fashion to potential buyers.

so I was comparing like for like, at least as much as you were when you compared them to estate agents....

The boats vary from a pile of crap to actually pretty good, the good ones don't hang around long.

Actually that is a fair point - if the boat is good, then the broker doesn't really matter. If the boat isn't good, then the broker doesn't really matter either.

So what I should have said is that the selection of boats they had last time we went were not right for us.

Highly unlikely. Why would they?

They are selling other peoples boats.

You wouldn't expect an estate agent to clean a house they are selling. Why is a boat broker any different?

Because you would think there would be a gap in the market for value to be added to a boat by having it cleaned before being presented for sale. Some of the boats I viewed didn't appear even to have had any of their windows open for weeks and at least one stank of dead person. I'm a businessman myself, if I was in the business of selling boats then I would at least make some effort to market them in a buyer-attractive condition.

True but equally you expect car dealers to clean the cars.... is a boat closer to a house or a car?

Car dealers normally own the cars they sell.

Brokers normally do not, they act as a 'go between' twixt the seller and the buyer.

They owned the boat we bought.

Some brokers do own the boats they are selling. Additionally some brokers who do are allegedly less than honest when they are selling a boat they own because buying from a business rather than a private individual potentially increases the buyers rights under the Sales of Goods Act.

That doesn't mean they are under any obligation to keep a boat they own cleaner than one they are brokering though, in fact you could argue to do so would highlight they own a boat when some brokers might have good reason not want to do that.

Some brokers do own the boats they are selling. Additionally some brokers who do are allegedly less than honest when they are selling a boat they own because buying from a business rather than a private individual potentially increases the buyers rights under the Sales of Goods Act.

That doesn't mean they are under any obligation to keep a boat they own cleaner than one they are brokering though, in fact you could argue to do so would highlight they own a boat when some brokers might have good reason not want to do that.

Naughty-Cal was presented far better as a stock boat then the two other brokerage S23's that they showed us. They made a point of showing us the brokerage boats first before showing us their own stock boat which was presented far nicer but was more expensive and came valeted and fully serviced.

They never hid the fact it was a stock boat and it worked in our favour because anything the survey picked up was fixed as part of the deal.

I'm still not sure why people seem to think a broker should clean a customers boat though. If a vendor is serious about selling their boat they will ensure it is presented as well as it can be.

Naughty-Cal was presented far better as a stock boat then the two other brokerage S23's that they showed us. They made a point of showing us the brokerage boats first before showing us their own stock boat which was presented far nicer but was more expensive and came valeted and fully serviced.

They never hid the fact it was a stock boat and it worked in our favour because anything the survey picked up was fixed as part of the deal.

I'm still not sure why people seem to think a broker should clean a customers boat though. If a vendor is serious about selling their boat they will ensure it is presented as well as it can be.

I don't believe all brokers are as up front about boats they actually own as Burton Waters appear to be, this being the point I was making.

BTW Things picked up on survey needing fixing before the sale completes is not something exclusive to sales of stock boats. That can be a feature of boats brokered too.