wide beam

pattdigby1

Featured Posts

i have a boat 65 foot by 11 this will be my main home but as it is a boat and it can be moved i would like to be able to move it i have been looking at the grand union canal and had a walk along a stretch of it in hemel hempsted and noticed a wide beam would not seam to fit ( bridge 148 old fisherys lane ) what is the best stretch of the grand union to place a wide beam boat and still be able to travel . any advice would be a big help

at the moment it is being built and i have moorings ish but no deal made as of yet it is a hambury range monarch its BIG but as its going to be my home it needs to be but now im looking for the most accessible stretch of canal for a boat of this size and will still have to travel in to london a few times each week so needs to be a relatively short commute

i have moorings ish

??

if you haven't decided on the 'most accessible stretch of canal' yet then where are your moorings?

I am sure you are aware of the difficulty in getting (residential?) moorings - the general advice is to get your moorings sorted before you buy a boat.

Edited by Murflynn

i have a boat 65 foot by 11 this will be my main home but as it is a boat and it can be moved i would like to be able to move it i have been looking at the grand union canal and had a walk along a stretch of it in hemel hempsted and noticed a wide beam would not seam to fit ( bridge 148 old fisherys lane ) what is the best stretch of the grand union to place a wide beam boat and still be able to travel . any advice would be a big help

Can someone explain the bridge 148 bit? I'm not aware of any wide beam issues on the GU, Hemel is out of my usual patch

Richard

??

if you haven't decided on the 'most accessible stretch of canal' yet then where are your moorings?

I am sure you are aware of the difficulty in getting (residential?) moorings - the general advice is to get your moorings sorted before you buy a boat.

How about answering the question or are you always this nosy about other people's lives

Can someone explain the bridge 148 bit? I'm not aware of any wide beam issues on the GU, Hemel is out of my usual patch

Richard

Richard you are not playing the game. If you don't know the answer you are supposed to ask a question about moorings

at the moment it is being built and i have moorings ish but no deal made as of yet it is a hambury range monarch its BIG but as its going to be my home it needs to be but now im looking for the most accessible stretch of canal for a boat of this size and will still have to travel in to london a few times each week so needs to be a relatively short commute

You mean commute by train, right? I would get looking on Google earth, find the station, identify moorings, find out where they are and go and ask in person. I know a few people who have been successful doing this., its really not that hard to get a mooring out of London, its only really difficult in Central and East London. Sure it will be a bit trickier if its a widebeam, but not impossible if you are determined.

As far as accessible, If its a widebeam then you are ok for most canals below Birmingham, especially below Berkhamsted. If you are maximum length and beam then its only tricky up the Stort. I dont think you'll get any issues with 65 by 11 at all.

Edited by Lady Muck

Richard

That is why I asked about the profile, it may have been a Dutch Barge of some sort. I don't know what the Hambury range is but if its new I am guessing wide beam liks a fat Narrowboat, in which case I cant see a problem providing the OP can drive it OK

We are 57 x 10.10 and have no issues at all cruising from Braunston (little north of Daventry) down to London and up the River Lee to Hertford; as others have said, depending on the profile of your boat you may be able to do some of the River Stort as well.

Sorry can't offer any useful advice on permanent moorings as we CC. Just remember when your out cruising and moor up for the night to pick a spot wide enough for 2 narrow boats to pass you so your not causing an obstruction.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build - happy cruising boat.gif

How about answering the question or are you always this nosy about other people's lives

I don't want to join in on someone's private battles, but the simple answer to the OP's question is "anywhere", which is probably not exactly what he wants to know. If he knows so little about the GU he does not know that his 65' x 11' widebeam boat will be able to go from Brentford on the Thames to Sampson Road in Birmingham it does seem reasonable to ask for supplementary information.

Edited by Tam & Di

I don't want to join in on someone's private battles, but the simple answer to the OP's question is "anywhere", which is probably not exactly what he wants to know. If he knows so little about the GU he does not know that his 65' x 11' widebeam boat will be able to go from Brentford to Sampson Road it does seem reasonable to ask for supplementary information.

My mistake not having a widebeam I did not realise mooring location made a difference to going through a bridge hole. Learn something new everyday

You have to wonder if this is all a wind up.

Why buy one of the biggest boats on the market (no doubt for an eye watering sum) before you have checked if it will fit the canals?

Ten minutes searching on this forum would have provided links to the information requested.

Its what happens people go to Crick see a boat like it buy it then discover its not that easy sick.gif now how do I know that? clapping.gif

Peter

I bought my boat having never been on a boat and knowing nothing about canals. I came on here asked questions that was about 8 years ago and at no stage did anyone ever question my mooring status, this seems to be done now by certain members on here who have little to contribute in helping fellow boaters and just want to continue some silly game they play. Unless of course I missed some big announcement that all boats have to have a mooring

• Greenie 1

Hehe I will never forget when you walked down a freezing towpath to help me get water when I was frozen in don't remember you asking about my mooring status before you offered help.

No you see I know for a fact that you're a continuous moorer - and the illusion of your boat moving around the system is in fact an illusion indeed! :lol:

I bought my boat having never been on a boat and knowing nothing about canals. I came on here asked questions that was about 8 years ago and at no stage did anyone ever question my mooring status, this seems to be done now by certain members on here who have little to contribute in helping fellow boaters and just want to continue some silly game they play. Unless of course I missed some big announcement that all boats have to have a mooring

On the other hand, the number of people using boats as homes in London has increased dramatically - which you know already. And the OP is proposing putting a large boat onto a busy part of the system. I think it's reasonable to raise the issue of mooring

How that is done is another matter

Richard

MORE: On reflection, I'm surprised mooring didn't come up as a subject when you bought your boat. From memory, eight to ten years ago, we would have been advising new owners to concentrate on finding a mooring first, unless they were CCing. London wasn't an issue then.

Bet my memory is wrong

Edited by RLWP