Moorings and fuel on Avon and Severn

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

We are planning a cruise starting next week which will include going from Stratford down the Avon to the Severn and then up to Stourport.

I would welcome advice on moorings, fuel availability and any good pubs etc as we are not familiar with this route, having last done it on a hire boat circa 1984smile.png

Thanks in advance

We are planning a cruise starting next week which will include going from Stratford down the Avon to the Severn and then up to Stourport.

I would welcome advice on moorings, fuel availability and any good pubs etc as we are not familiar with this route, having last done it on a hire boat circa 1984:)

Thanks in advance

will keep an eye out I will be heading to Worcester from Gloucester next week with any luck, don't know about fuel stops I take enough with me, but as you are probably running on derv, there are lots of marinas on route, once on the Severn stopping places are a bit scarce, worth a night in Tewkesbury,before pushing out onto the Severn, Upton is only a couple of hours upstream and if you can find a berth well worth a night, one pub I must stop at is the camp house near Worcester, sorry I was,nt more help but I'm sure others will follow,also canal plan a,c is another useful tool when planning a trip Edited by craftycarper

Excellent moorings at Pershore recreation grounds, easy access to the town )pubs, cafes, shops).

Several boatyards at e.g. Pershore, Evesham, Tewkesbury for diesel.

Like craftycarper I recommend a night in Tewkesbury. Upton is good, public moorings also the marina which will cost you a bit.

Public moorings at Worcester just as you come out of Diglis lock, also at the race course (small fee).

I like Bidford, that is half a day downstream from Stratford. The only issue is the bridge is closed since a tractor hit it, but I think it may be open to pedestrians, if not it not so good are most of the moorings ar on the other side of the river to the pub and shops etc.

Most locks on the Upper Avon at least have mooring, as well as some very nice remote one. You should be able to buy a guide book to the Avon when you buy your licence from the information centre in Bancroft basin.

Tewkesbury is nice, you pay (£3 I think) to the lock keeper for mooring there.

On the Severn, really the 2 main places are Upton, but it is limited, and then Worcester either on the CRT pontoon just above Diglis lock, or there are extensive council moorings by the racecourse (£4). At Stourport you can moor on the river or go up the locks and moor the basin or on the canal.

On fuel never bought any on either the Avon or Severn, but there is Tewkesbury marina on the Avon that has pumps on the river front and possibly Upton marina on the Severn but you can't see inot that from the river so not sure it they sell fuel.

Excellent moorings at Pershore recreation grounds, easy access to the town )pubs, cafes, shops).

Several boatyards at e.g. Pershore, Evesham, Tewkesbury for diesel.

Like craftycarper I recommend a night in Tewkesbury. Upton is good, public moorings also the marina which will cost you a bit.

Public moorings at Worcester just as you come out of Diglis lock, also at the race course (small fee).

£4 for the race course, The river moorings were full when we came down yesterday so we locked up into Digles where there are visitor moorings after the water point. Upton was full as usual, no one offered breasting so i wasn't going to ask. On the Avon for wild moorings on the upper Avon you can moor above almost all of the locks overnight and a couple of rural tucked away ones as well. Tewksbury was quite full and £3 a night. Pershore, Evesham and Bidford all had spaces when we passed.

I like Bidford, that is half a day downstream from Stratford. The only issue is the bridge is closed since a tractor hit it, but I think it may be open to pedestrians, if not it not so good are most of the moorings ar on the other side of the river to the pub and shops etc.

Most locks on the Upper Avon at least have mooring, as well as some very nice remote one. You should be able to buy a guide book to the Avon when you buy your licence from the information centre in Bancroft basin.

On the Severn, really the 2 main places are Upton, but it is limited, and then Worcester either on the CRT pontoon just above Diglis lock, or there are extensive council moorings by the racecourse (£4). At Stourport you can moor on the river or go up the locks and moor the basin or on the canal.

On fuel never bought any on either the Avon or Severn, but there is Tewkesbury marina on the Avon that has pumps on the river front and possibly Upton marina on the Severn but you can't see inot that from the river so not sure it they sell fuel.

It looked expensive. I think Stourport could be a good bet for diesel as they were good on price at their other yard. I don't know what Valley cruisers charge on the Stratford.

It looked expensive. I think Stourport could be a good bet for diesel as they were good on price at their other yard. I don't know what Valley cruisers charge on the Stratford.

I have just looked on http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/and Stourport were 69p last month.

We are in Pershore at the moment ( plum festival here next week ) . Fuel at the hire base above the last 3 Stratford canal locks going down into Stratford . In the basin there is an information cabin where you can buy your licence ( £50 for a week ) they will give you a leaflet with lists of facilities ect . Upper Avon locks have moorings in most cases . The river this week is very quiet . Hardly seen a boat on the move . Pumpout facilities need a ' coin' , suggest asking at the cabin if you require this service . Its lovely down here. Bunny

Not many places on the Severn, we moored at Upton but it can be a bit tight, I think you can mnoor in the marina there if necessary but i am not sure.

20140623_064038.jpg

(We were in the Alvechurch boat with the canoe alongside)

Good moorings on the Avon at Bidford, Evesham, and Pershore if you want town centre services.

It's still 3 quid a night in Tewkesbury on the ANT moorings by the lock, which is close to the town centre pubs and shops.

I think it's about 12 quid a night at Tewkesbury Marina, but you do get toilets, showers and leccy. Short stroll into the town centre from here. Diesel, gas, pumpout and elsan disposal.

I like Upton, but it's often busy. It's the only public mooring in 15 miles of river (as I had to remind the miserable s*d who didn't want to let us breast up to him last weekend!). Diesel, etc at the marina, pontoon on the right after you pass the entrance, assuming you are going upstream. Visitor moorings in the marina a bit steep at £1.75 per metre per night!

We were asked if it was o.k. to breast up alongside us at Upton On Seven and didn't have a problem with it. When we woke up the following morning there was another 3 boats moored alongside, didn't hear a thing, still no problem. There are some really selfish sods about, but fortunately there are few on the boating scene.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask to go alongside even though i have been refused. When i sailing boat it was accepted that people came alongside.

We were asked if it was o.k. to breast up alongside us at Upton On Seven and didn't have a problem with it. When we woke up the following morning there was another 3 boats moored alongside, didn't hear a thing, still no problem. There are some really selfish sods about, but fortunately there are few on the boating scene.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask to go alongside even though i have been refused. When i sailing boat it was accepted that people came alongside.

At places like Upton you sometimes have to be a little firm with your "request" to breast up.

However, in the case of this gentleman, the strong smell of "exotic cheroots" that hung around his boat may have been the reason he didn't want anyone breasted up!

Yes, Bidford bridge is open for pedestrians - and most importantly for boats.