This might slow some trips down a bit...

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Not sure exactly where, but article says close to Chedderington on the GU

Boater accidentally drains stretch of Grand Union Canal
2070721609.jpg
Grand Union canal, seen from Cooks Wharf
Adam Parris-Long

12:56Wednesday 05 August 2015

10:54Tuesday 04 August 2015

The Canal River Trust has been alerted after ‘boater error’ led to a strange sight yesterday.

The Cooks Wharf area of the Grand Union Canal, which sits just outside Cheddington on the way to Marsworth, drained away after a boater left a lock gate paddle open.

The gates control the flow of water in the lock.

The Canal River Trust is now working to solve the problem.

A spokesperson said: “We are currently trying to raise the water levels and get things back to normal but due to limited water at this time of year, it is taking longer than expected.”

Is it a lock in the distance? If so it cant be Cooks Wharf. If it is there is an awful lot of water that needs to be found and as said above, an awful lot of boats that will be grounded including the boat and units at Pitstone Wharf. More likely the Ivinghoe 2 that regularly gets drained and often due to the poor state of the paddles, one of them sticks so if you don't know about it it can easily be left partly shut.

This came up on FB and I asked how long would it take to accidentally drain a pound this length, To empty a double lock with both paddles up takes say 4 minutes, You couldn't accidentally leave all paddles up after leaving a lock, Also in August why did no one notice before it was dry if it was an accident during the day?

I have had to fill that pound (the one between ivinghoe 2) on many occasions.

It really is a non story. Now if it had been the pound at Maffers or below Peters 2 (cooks wharf) that would have been a story.

Its a short pound so could be a foot down in 20 minutes or so, I have seen people at lock 59 take 40 minutes to realise the bottom paddle was up then the pound, its a reasonable length was down about nine inches.

Before anyone says why don't I say something, reason is the sewage farm fills the pound from that level in less than 2hrs so there is always more water than we need.

Looks to me like between ivinghoe 2, not a big deal just needs filling up.

Yes. Perhaps we are dealing with completely clueless CRT personnel here. A rather upsetting situation where someone supposedly in charge of an area of a canal can't even identify a lock or pound between locks :huh:

Errrr. No... The gates do not control the flow of water in the lock.

Do we need a demonstration :banghead:

Oh dear

Edited for rypo

Edited by magnetman

Yes. Perhaps we are dealing with completely clueless CRT personnel here. A rather upsetting situation where someone supposedly in charge of an area of a canal can't even identify a lock or pound between locks huh.png

Errrr. No... The gates do not control the flow of water in the lock.

Do we need a demonstration frusty.gif

Oh dear

Edited for rypo

Just to clarify...

The only bit of the OP that is mine is the first sentence, the rest is a cut/paste from the article I read online.

I made the thread simply to let folks know there was a potential delay in the area in case they were planning cruise through. I figured if it made the local paper, it was worth sharing on the forum...being boating related and all.

We are moored to the south of & within eyeshight of Pitstone Wharf, and have been for a few days - the water level here has been fine. It's gone up and down a few inches over the past couple of days, but nothing drastic. There was a CRT gent here late Sunday afternoon adjusting a near by pump, and there's been a CRT van here again this afternoon.

Not sure exactly where, but article says close to Chedderington on the GU

Boater accidentally drains stretch of Grand Union Canal
2070721609.jpg
Grand Union canal, seen from Cooks Wharf
Adam Parris-Long

12:56Wednesday 05 August 2015

10:54Tuesday 04 August 2015

The Canal River Trust has been alerted after ‘boater error’ led to a strange sight yesterday.

The Cooks Wharf area of the Grand Union Canal, which sits just outside Cheddington on the way to Marsworth, drained away after a boater left a lock gate paddle open.

A spokesperson said: “We are currently trying to raise the water levels and get things back to normal but due to limited water at this time of year, it is taking longer than expected.”

That's a lot of fuss about nothing. It looks like the short pound between what was known as Corketts Two (heading North), the top one of which being the sixth lock after passing Aylesbury Arm coming North.

The pound above it, to the bottom of Nags Head Three, is a lot longer so they can start running water from that straightaway, and then run some down from Maffers (Marsworth) where the Reservoirs are. That C&RT statement either shows just how little they know about the waterways they're responsible for or just how much lying they're prepared to do to cover up the lousy job they're doing.

Edited by Tony Dunkley
  • Greenie 1

That's a lot of fuss about nothing. It looks like the short pound between what was known as Corketts Two, the top one of which being the sixth lock after passing Aylesbury Arm coming North.

The pound above it, to the bottom of Nags Head Three, is a lot longer so they can start running water from that straightaway, and then run some down from Maffers (Marsworth) where the Reservoirs are. That C&RT statement either shows just how little they know about the waterways they're responsible for or just how much lying they're prepared to do to cover up the lousy job they're doing.

The statement merely says it's taking longer than expected. How does that constitute 'a lot of fuss?

That's a lot of fuss about nothing. It looks like the short pound between what was known as Corketts Two, the top one of which being the sixth lock after passing Aylesbury Arm coming North.

I'm quite intrigued by your comments. What would you do differently if you were boss of CRT?

How many people out there have your knowledge of the cut, which seems to be your baseline expectation for any CRT employee? where would you find the staff that meet your (ridiculous) expectations?

I'm quite intrigued by your comments. What would you do differently if you were boss of CRT?

How many people out there have your knowledge of the cut, which seems to be your baseline expectation for any CRT employee? where would you find the staff that meet your (ridiculous) expectations?

I'd expect to find the staff, which amounts to one man with a windlass, along the towpath running water.

Can you explain why you think the 'expectation' that the Navigation Authority should know how to keep the cut full of water is ridiculous, . . . . do your customers not expect you to know how to repair boilers?

I'd expect to find the staff, which amounts to one man with a windlass, along the towpath running water.

Can you explain why you think the 'expectation' that the Navigation Authority should know how to keep the cut full of water is ridiculous, . . . . do your customers not expect you to know how to repair boilers?

Ah yes, I forgot you don't answer questions or engage in reasoned debate.

My mistake!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The whole area drained away - awful, it was a lovely area.

The statement merely says it's taking longer than expected. How does that constitute 'a lot of fuss?

There's no reason for re-filling that pound, enough for todays boats to get along it, to take much more than an hour at the most, probably less time than issuing that daft statement and speaking to the local Press.

Just to clarify...

The only bit of the OP that is mine is the first sentence, the rest is a cut/paste from the article I read online.

I made the thread simply to let folks know there was a potential delay in the area in case they were planning cruise through. I figured if it made the local paper, it was worth sharing on the forum...being boating related and all.

We are moored to the south of & within eyeshight of Pitstone Wharf, and have been for a few days - the water level here has been fine. It's gone up and down a few inches over the past couple of days, but nothing drastic. There was a CRT gent here late Sunday afternoon adjusting a near by pump, and there's been a CRT van here again this afternoon.

Train spotting ?

Just to clarify...

I realised you had cut and pasted :)

I was a bit disappointed by the inability of CRT to identify the actual location

There's no reason for re-filling that pound, enough for todays boats to get along it, to take much more than an hour at the most, probably less time than issuing that daft statement and speaking to the local Press.

Still doesn't constitute 'a lot of fuss' in my book anyway.

Still doesn't constitute 'a lot of fuss' in my book anyway.

I can understand why you would say that.

As someone who exhibits a knowledge and experience of canals and other waterways as limited as that of C&RT's management, I'm sure that if you were faced with that particular minor problem yourself, then your preferred way of dealing with it would be to put out a bullshitting PR statement to make it sound like a major incident, purely for the benefit of the Press and public, rather than fixing the problem by running water in the same way that similar problems have been dealt with quickly and successfully for the last two centuries.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I can understand why you would say that.

I'm sure that if you were faced with that particular minor problem yourself, then your preferred way of dealing with it would be to put out a bullshitting PR statement to make it sound like a major incident, purely for the benefit of the Press and public, rather than fixing the problem by running water in the same way that similar problems have been dealt with quickly and successfully for the last two centuries.

And I can understand why you would say a simple factual statement that CRT would put out constitutes 'a lot of fuss'.

You have well documented form on here for criticising CRT at each and every turn so why would a simple statement alerting people to an issue be construed by you as nothing else?

Ed. your additional irrelevant comments made in your subsequent edit make no difference to the substance of the point I was making BTW.

Edited by MJG