online certs

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, just had boat safety cert done,it apparently goes online now, and they are doing away with paper copies, man said as its changing over he would send me a paper copy anyway, just wondered where do you find the online copy, I wasn't there for the test so never had the chance to ask.

Hi, just had boat safety cert done,it apparently goes online now, and they are doing away with paper copies, man said as its changing over he would send me a paper copy anyway, just wondered where do you find the online copy, I wasn't there for the test so never had the chance to ask.

As far as I m aware you cannot access it.

Only Insurance companies and navigation authorities can access the 'secure site'.

Hopefully everything you need to know on this subject and the real version, not heresy, talk or speculation

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/bss-certificates-explained/

Regards

Rob

Communications Manager, Boat Safety Scheme

As far as I m aware you cannot access it.

Only Insurance companies and navigation authorities can access the 'secure site'.

Only nav authority staff, BSS examiners, me and my colleagues.

I was sent an email by the examiner with a pdf. CRT wanted a copy of the pdf, so I just forwarded that email pdf to them. Seemed a waste of time to me, as I would have though that CRT would have been able to check it online, but it kept them happy.

Hopefully everything you need to know on this subject and the real version, not heresy, talk or speculation

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/bss-certificates-explained/

Regards

Rob

Communications Manager, Boat Safety Scheme

Only nav authority staff, BSS examiners, me and my colleagues.

So why can't your customers view them on-line seeing as we paid you for them?

Third paragraph down on the page

This is because the BSS does not hold any detail about who owns what boat and because we cannot release the data openly.

You have lost me on that one. I pay for a bss inspection. It passes. I get a link to an online copy emailed through to me by the examiner....who does know who I am because I asked him to do the inspection. Link could password protected if extra level of security is needed.

So that still leaves your statement valid but gives me access to an online copy.

Was there some other reason which I haven't understood?

Dave

So why can't your customers view them on-line seeing as we paid you for them?

You get a paper or pdf copy from the examiner why do you want to view the BSS records directly?

Why make a database more complicated and open to abuse than it needs to be by having outside access, with the data protection issues which go along with that.

You know all you need to know from the paper/pdf copy - that's it, get over it

You get a paper or pdf copy from the examiner why do you want to view the BSS records directly?

Why make a database more complicated and open to abuse than it needs to be by having outside access, with the data protection issues which go along with that.

You know all you need to know from the paper/pdf copy - that's it, get over it

I think you'll find the OP stated that paper copies were being stopped.

My marina wanted to see a copy of our BSS which would have been a problem if I didn't have a paper copy.

My marina wanted to see a copy of our BSS which would have been a problem if I didn't have a paper copy.

You could just email them a copy of the PDF version you receive.

From Rob@BSSOffice web site reference

The change also means that new BSS Certificates no longer need special pre-printed coloured forms, instead they will be provided by Examiners either as electronic files or printed out by the examiner on plain paper in black ink.

After a successful boat examination, the owner will get a copy of the receipt-style certificate, also called a BSS Examination Report, to keep for their own records. The report can be either a print-out, an electronic version or both as the boat owner prefers - this preference should be made clear when arranging the examination.

The OP appears to have misunderstood

- followed by knee jerk reactions for other posters

Edited by 5thHorseman

The OP is not correct. Paper copies are not being stopped.

From the BSS website: "Boat owners must still be given either an electronic version of the report, or a paper print-out or both, as the owner prefers." (my underline).

You just ask for a paper copy if you want one.

I'm sure when the BSS tests last went up in price it was partly because the price of Certificates was being put up to the Examiners.(£30 +)

If no proper certificates are now issued I assume the price will be reduced ????????

• Greenie 1

I'm sure when the BSS tests last went up in price it was partly because the price of Certificates was being put up to the Examiners.(£30 +)

If no proper certificates are now issued I assume the price will be reduced ????????

An excellent post my thoughts exactly.

I was told we will, in the future, not get a paper record that is why I was asking. You are saying he is wrong, I don't see why you say I have misunderstood.

Looks like you were misinformed.

The BSS website clearly states that you can have a paper copy if you want one.