Quietening a semi-diesel exhaust

MtB

Featured Posts

Thanks, this seems a Good Idea.

Replacing the metal tall pipe on Reg with a length of plastic dain pipe causes a norticeable reduction in noise, surprisingly. I think this is due to the slight 'give' in the nature of the material. A length of rubber will probably be even more effective. Where did you find rubber tube that big?!

Another idea, as a couple of people have suggested to me that increasing the length of the exhaust tube is the answer, is to insert a couple of metres of stainless steel flexible flue liner in a coil into the exhaust outlet from the expansion box.

I got the rubber from a place in Cradley Heath West Midlands but I will have to search for the name. It was something like suction hose used on pumps and resisted the heat well.

I got the rubber from a place in Cradley Heath West Midlands but I will have to search for the name. It was something like suction hose used on pumps and resisted the heat well.

Thank you!

I've been havin' a google in the meantime and found this "oil and fuel suction and delivery hose". Might this be the same stuff?

t604_5.jpg

http://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/6/t604_5.jpg

Thank you!

I've been havin' a google in the meantime and found this "oil and fuel suction and delivery hose". Might this be the same stuff?

Are you sure a hose would survive an exhaust fire?

I remember being rather alarmed the first time it happened - the cast iron exhaust pipe glowed and the stainless steel chimney had turned rainbow coloured when the fire died down.

Imagine a 4" diameter blow torch with a foot of flame shooting out the end and you get the picture.

Edited by koukouvagia

I remember being rather alarmed the first time it happened - the cast iron exhaust pipe glowed and the stainless steel chimney had turned rainbow coloured when the fire died down.

Imagine a 4" diameter blow torch with a foot of flame shooting out the end and you get the picture.

Now you're talking, having to dowse the wood cabin top around the exhaust collar with water, as said pipe glowing red , cutter takes on rainbow hue's, red hot balls of soot/carbon being deposited on every thing in range ( VERY quickly don hat & turn up coat collar) can't see b***er all for acrid smoke, Now that's proper boating clapping.gif

Yes I have heard of this happening. I`m not sure the rubber would survive and it could be a fire risk in the engine room. My expansion box had an inspection hatch in the bottom and I fitted a drain tap to get rid of the oily tar that built up. This wouldn't help with sooty solids though.

• 1 month later...

I had a Lanz Bulldog tractor. They have a 10.8 litre single hot bulb in them. If you want loud then they pretty much beat anything. To help silence them they had a plate half way through the exhaust which was slightly domed and full of holes like a sieve. This had the effect of dramatically silencing the engine. I ran it a few times without it and it was almost unbearable to be around.

You can add additional layers of these plates spaced out through the exhaust to silence it further. They would easy to fabricate to fit your exhaust box. Always be mindful though that with a 2 stroke any back pressure in the exhaust can cause havock with the running of the engine. Keep the bore of the exhaust as it was when it comes from the exhaust box if possible and if it has more than one elbow you will need to increase the diameter to compensate. Otherwise the engine will just coke up.

John

I had a Lanz Bulldog tractor. They have a 10.8 litre single hot bulb in them. If you want loud then they pretty much beat anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML_L0B0Sv4o

I had to look them up!

How is MtB doing?

NB I love this restored one. Neighbours might object though to starting it up to cut the grass on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S8fOpvFfAM

Edited by mark99

This is a video of mine I took ticking over in the drive at home.

I've had lost of old bits and bobs over the years and of all of them I was most upset about letting this go and still bitterly regret it now. They are pretty fast on the road too.

MtB? Sorry I don't follow you are going to have to explain.

John

I've had lost of old bits and bobs over the years and of all of them I was most upset about letting this go and still bitterly regret it now. They are pretty fast on the road too.

MtB? Sorry I don't follow you are going to have to explain.

John

Mtb = "Mike the Boilerman" - wonder how he is getting on with silencing his engine.

Wow how about this.

http://onlytruecars.com/photo/im/lanz-eilbulldog/09/default.htm

Edited by mark99