Working the Locks Alone

brassedoff

Featured Posts

1.wear good shoes as you might have to climb up wet lock ladders etc....

2. Make sure you have long enough ropes to manage your boat in a deep lock.

3. Keep the back end of your boat away from the cement cill when going downhill.

4. Watch the front end of your boat doesn't get caught on the lock gates when going uphill.

5. When you leave a lock, make sure the pound you are entering is relatively full of water. (to ensure your boat doesn't get caught up when leaving the lock)

small things to remember...and it comes more naturally as you gain experience.

and watch out for a vent hole in the paving stone adjacent to the ground paddle gear - if you are unlucky the vent will blow water up between your legs as you struggle to raise the paddle - like lock 67 on the Mon and Brec, there must be many others.

and watch out for a vent hole in the paving stone adjacent to the ground paddle gear - if you are unlucky the vent will blow water up between your legs as you struggle to raise the paddle - like lock 67 on the Mon and Brec, there must be many others.

Ah yes - pidgeon lock on the south oxford has a particularly splendid example of this, opening the ground paddles quickly can result in a rather intense cooling sensation around ones undercarriage.

It may be a good idea to see how boaters on their own cope with sinle handing, go somewhere with plenty of boats around and hope that there are no volies or helpful fellowboaters around to assist a loan boater, and maybe even video how they do it.

If you've got it on video, you can Watch it as often as you like, and then when it's you turn it won't be all that new to you anymore.

My bad wifi signal doesn't allow me to check if there aren't any "youtube" videos about it already.

Peter.

Thats a good idea, thanks.smile.png

Yes, and some much shallower, I'm just being facetious :)

Its a good word as it has all the vowels in the right order :)

Abstemious is another one. Have not googled it so I don't know if there are any more

I'm 65 and dont bend like I used to, but I quite enjoy the challenge of single handing. You just need to take your time and not allow anything to rush you. Consider wearing a life jacket.

I was based at Tattenhall marina on the Shroppie for a number of years and am now heading back there ( currently on Thames heading for London) The only lock I found awkward was the Iron lock at Beeston, but most of the time other boaters helped out at that lock if I was on my own.

Go for it.

I'm 65 and dont bend like I used to, but I quite enjoy the challenge of single handing. You just need to take your time and not allow anything to rush you. Consider wearing a life jacket.

I was based at Tattenhall marina on the Shroppie for a number of years and am now heading back there ( currently on Thames heading for London) The only lock I found awkward was the Iron lock at Beeston, but most of the time other boaters helped out at that lock if I was on my own.

Go for it.

thanks thorfastsmile.png

There is a very useful little booklet called 'Going it Alone' by Colin Edmondson.

Lots of good advice if you are starting out single handed. Once you get some experience you will develope your own routine but it is a good starting point.

http://www.canalbookshop.co.uk/boating.html

(Scroll down the page, it's towards the bottom on the left hand side)

Ken

This is a general tip, have two centre lines (ropes) and take them down each side of all the rubbish (necessary items) you have on the cabin roof.

They should always be run to the steering the position, so that whenever you step ashore a line (rope) goes with you.

This is a general tip, have two centre lines (ropes) and take them down each side of all the rubbish (necessary items) you have on the cabin roof.

They should always be run to the steering the position, so that whenever you step ashore a line (rope) goes with you.

And (if you're me) they should be not quite long enough to reach the prop!

Edited by system 4-50

Locks (the ones i have used) are dead easy, take your time, think about what you are doing and you will be fine, understand what the dangers are and never rush, you need to be able to climb on the roof and out lock by the step ladder, then use the center rope to keep the boat in the middle of the lock away from gates and cills.

Have done a few now and find it easy, but am very cautious of the dangers.

We knew someone who had a ladder which he used from the back deck to get out of locks ... of course you have to take care and you can't really use it in wide locks.

Most importantly, be familiar with your boat when getting on/off or even moving down the gunwhale as this is were your mostly exposed when alone

Years ago I stabbed my hand deep into a fairlead for the centre line whilst shimmying down the gunwale in order to negotiate an electric bridge on the caldon

Biggest hazard is not you but others distracting you by their jabber or actions.

Sound comment and well put.

The only time I have seen a boat sunk by cilling was when the boater was nattering with another person and not attending to his vessel.

It wasn't me he was talking to although I do go on a bit at times :lol:

Until you're quite comfortable with doing locks on your own, refrain from jumping from one side onto the other gate.

When you do get around to doing this, as it saves time, always have a free hand able to grab the rail on the far side.

Lots of good advise here, one but I would add is remember to keep one hand for your self and one for your ship (boat!).

Personally also i don't open the beer up until have finished moving for the day, especially if there are any locks involved.

Biggest hazard is not you but others distracting you by their jabber or actions.

If there are others about, think of them less as a source of distracting jabber or actions, and more as potential minions.

Some gongoozlers just don't want to know, but many can be sweet-talked into helping if you get off on the right foot. Even those who know nothing about boating can be useful for opening or closing gates, or manually operated swing or lift bridges. I haven't done any single handing, but even as crew I've shamelessly used the free labour of a few passers-by.

Another idea, if you're not in a hurry and/or a lock or bridge presents a particular problem, is to just wait until another boat turns up. Most boaters and crew will happily help out a single hander, I always offer to.

Even those who know nothing about boating can be useful for opening or closing gates, or manually operated swing or lift bridges..

Reminds me of when I went through the lift bridge in Banbury donkeys ears ago. It was just below the lock. Not sure if it is still a manual bridge but it was then. With a balance beam.

I gingerly approached a pleasant enough looking chap on a bench and said "I say would you be so kind as to open the bridge for me as I am on my own"

He looked at me for a few seconds and said "no"

:lol:

When I first moved aboard, my very experienced friend suggested that we sat down on the bench next to the lock near where we moored and watched "how" it was done.

After 3 boats making a right pigs ear and my friend saying" don't do that!", he decided it would be much easier to get my boat and talk me through it. So we did and I a now more than happy to do them myself, but each one is different and I use the method that works for me and my boat.

It's above the lock, between the lock and Tooley's yard, and is now windlass operated.

Unless there is another one that has been removed.

Still not the best for a single hander.

Yes there was previously one immediately below the lock :) I had an idea it had been removed but haven't been that way for a long time.