River Canal Rescue - Excellent Customer Service

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

I've had need to call on RCR a couple of times in the past and both times had very helpful knowledgeable engineers arrive and fix the problem quickly.

I called them out yesterday and the contractor who arrived was late, surly and really didn't know much about narrowboat rudders. I had to tell him how to fix it and eventually between the two of us we finally got it back in the cup.

I emailed RCR to let them know that, on this occasion, they had been let down by their contractor. A shame as the office staff were very helpful. Within the hour I had a call from RCR apologising for the poor service, assuring me they would discuss it with the contractor and offered me a discount on my next renewal.

I always think the real test of a company is when things go wrong and in this case RCR clearly have a great attitude to customer service and a desire to correct poor service.

I have no connection with RCR other than as a customer an just wanted to thank them publicly.

That's a bit of different outcome than the condescending letter I got from the MD when I complained about the service that the people who's boat I towed got....and I was a member at the time...needless to say I wasn't afterwards....perhaps they are learning.

Cheers

Gareth

No for responding so quickly to my email and offering to compensate me.

Yes, I realise that, but if their choice of sub-contractors had been more astute then the situation would never have arisen.

I should add that we have been members for some ten years, and the service which we have received from them has ranged from very good to excellent - though I do wonder why it took them about a week to locate a new throttle cable earlier this year. Having eventually found one, they installed it quickly and efficiently.

That's a bit of different outcome than the condescending letter I got from the MD when I complained about the service that the people who's boat I towed got....and I was a member at the time...needless to say I wasn't afterwards....perhaps they are learning.

Cheers

Gareth

What happened when you were towing the boat?

A fair point. I suppose they will only know if a sub-contractor not very good if they get feedback from customers.

How about references, Martin? many employers require them before making an appointment.

Next time I break down, I'll get refs first.

smile.png

Ho ho ho hee hee hee arf arf arf.

Silly boy.

I meant, as I'm sure you're aware, that an organisation who appoints sub-contractors or agents should ensure that these people are satisfactory before they make the appointments.

Edited by Athy

Perhaps RCR appoint boat yards and such like as sub contractors and they would therefore have very little control over who the boat yard send out. However, if as happened here, they get a complaint about the person sent I am sure they will take it up with the persons employer and make sure that person is not sent again.

Just a thought.

haggis

What happened when you were towing the boat?

Apart from far too many people questioning why I was doing so and saying that I was mad to offer a tow not a lot...I took two boats on two separate occasions to yards to,be fixed after RCR had either decided that the yards were too far for them to tow to and left their customers to sort out getting the boat there or had basically given up on the job. I happend on both boats by chance and offered a tow...one I moored up next to and heard their tale of woe...that included being told by RCR that they needed a replacement engine and/or gearbox amongst other things....and the other boat came past me trying to bow haul at a very early hour.

I considered offering a tow on both occasions as something any boater would do as one day it might be the other way round......sadly other boaters who were slightly held up as we worked down fradley flight seemed to think that we were mad which I found quite sad.

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 1

Gareth,

Good to see you were kind enough to offer a tow to a fellow boater in trouble. I've done the same myself on one occasion, fortunately a broad canal so simply breasted up.

It is one of the weaknesses of RCR that they limit towing to 2hrs which isn't going to get you far.

Apart from far too many people questioning why I was doing so and saying that I was mad to offer a tow not a lot...I took two boats on two separate occasions to yards to,be fixed after RCR had either decided that the yards were too far for them to tow to and left their customers to sort out getting the boat there or had basically given up on the job. I happend on both boats by chance and offered a tow...one I moored up next to and heard their tale of woe...that included being told by RCR that they needed a replacement engine and/or gearbox amongst other things....and the other boat came past me trying to bow haul at a very early hour.

I considered offering a tow on both occasions as something any boater would do as one day it might be the other way round......sadly other boaters who were slightly held up as we worked down fradley flight seemed to think that we were mad which I found quite sad.

Cheers

Gareth

Well done.

:)

Why on earth would you NOT offer a tow? Surely anyone would :s

I would have thought so....but apparently not....several other boaters were amazed when I said I had only just met the boat on tow....they assumed RCR would sort it....and some even moaned because we had to bow haul thro a lock flight...it was pointed out we would be quicker if they helped but they were all suddenly busy.....to say I was less than charitable towards them was an understatement.

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 2

I would have thought so....but apparently not....several other boaters were amazed when I said I had only just met the boat on tow....they assumed RCR would sort it....and some even moaned because we had to bow haul thro a lock flight...it was pointed out we would be quicker if they helped but they were all suddenly busy.....to say I was less than charitable towards them was an understatement.

Cheers

Gareth

Blimey. Perhaps the boating "community spirt" isn't quite as pervasive as it seems.