Whoops.....crane barge in Holland goes a bit wrong....

frangar

Featured Posts

The ramp thing may have been built up on site or welded up on the pontoon from a kit of parts.

About ten years ago here in Stortford a complete new concrete road overbridge section was cast in the railway yard near the site of erection,''The London rd B1383 bridge over the river Stort. A massive mobile crane arrived with its back up of a 40ton Artic with lengths of jib sections and a second big mobile crane to build up the main massive crane, all in the Tanners Arms car park opposite the erection site. The actual job was done overnight. We had rolled up to watch the action after closing time at the Old Bulls Head. It was cold autumn time and there was a big panic because the Epoxy resin glue that they were to stick the bridge down onto its support columns with wouldn't cure. They sent a big van out knocking up Plant hire shops or whoever to hire paraffin blower heaters. They had to lift the bridge section up a bit again, scrape off the glue and re-glue it with fresh Epoxy. It may have been cheap tubes of epoxy resin from Wilco's or the 99p shop up the road that caused the trouble, but I couldn't see any little empty tubes and tops lying about afterwards. According to the foreman the cost of the crane ensemble and crew was £6000 per hour. There was a penalty clause too, so the bridge had to have at least one lane open by 7am on the Monday morning. The demolition of the old and erection of the new road bridge section took from the Friday night to the early hours of the Sunday to complete.

Looks like it needed suitable taglines or restraint lines

These are required on any load liable to swing freely for any reason - wind etc - even on a relatively small load things can get 'interesting'... ohmy.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Before I stick my oar in - I like to watch big cranes working, and I don't claim to be any sort of expert!

Were they lifting the road deck on to the crane barge, from the third one, the one that it is sat on on the promotional video? I think so. Again on the promotional video, the angle of the rigging of the far crane doesn't look exactly perpendicular to the deck, but the closer one does!

This leads me to think that as they lifted the deck, it moved (uncontrolled?) towards the far crane, which couldn't handle that sort of movement and load, resulting in its collapse.

Yes, and the further crane seems to be a bit smaller than the one closer to the camera which could lead to an imbalance I would have thought. I don't know anything about it but it really looks like the load moved unexpectedly very early in the operation and that was it.

Apparently no Human fatalities and only one serious injury. A dog was killed apparently.

Either a lucky day or the buildings at risk were emptied on account of elfin safety concerns. Looking at aerial photos the bridge deck being lifted was very large. I would hope that they did mention it to residents :huh:

Thanks for letting us know everyone, thats really amazing how no one got killed.

I bet some people are counting their lucky stars right now.

pitty about the doggy though.

There are already big rescue cranes lifting the broken ones out of the way! (On dry land!)

lets hope they dont fall over too.unsure.png

This is a must see lol

The bridge was being delivered flat on the barge with the cranes on.

It was being lifted and rotated through 90 degrees and then moved onto a smaller barge on the left hand side which had a frame on a central pivot to hold the bridge.

This frame would then have been tilted on the pivot so the bridge was flat and above the level of the road beyond the site.

The barge was then going to move to the bridge site and the new bridge lowered into position.

No guessing and surmising has been used in this comment.

There is now a criminal investigation going on.

Mike the Boilerman has been invited as an expert witness.wink.png

The bridge was being delivered flat on the barge with the cranes on.

It was being lifted and rotated through 90 degrees and then moved onto a smaller barge on the left hand side which had a frame on a central pivot to hold the bridge.

This frame would then have been tilted on the pivot so the bridge was flat and above the level of the road beyond the site.

The barge was then going to move to the bridge site and the new bridge lowered into position.

No guessing and surmising has been used in this comment.

There is now a criminal investigation going on.

Mike the Boilerman has been invited as an expert witness.wink.png

No, you've got the whole process back to front there. There is a promo. video made an hour before the accident showing the new bridge deck in place on the transportation frame on the single pontoon, as it arrived on site, before being lifted.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

With the size of the fallen cranes and the restricted access, I hope there are some suitable cranes left in The Netherlands to do the recovery lifts safely.

As most, if not all, of the two cranes will be no more than scrap metal now they will be able to cut them up into easily managed pieces.

As most, if not all, of the two cranes will be no more than scrap metal now they will be able to cut them up into easily managed pieces.

Our far eastern friends such as in India would mend them in no time at all and soon have them back on the road.

Or all the bits of the two cranes could be put into the ''Scrap heap Challenge scrap yard'' and the two teams instructed to build two mobile cranes in two hours.

Edited by bizzard

We clanged the boom of an American Hoist 1000T crane while erecting it. A slight dinge on one of the stiffening tubes, hardly a mark.

AH insisted on sending their surveyor over from the US who did lots of NDT and then insisted on a new tube being welded in by an approved welder who also came over from the US.