Tunnel Tunes

Dharl

Featured Posts

During recent cruise managed 8 tunnel passages (Braunston, Newbold, Crick & Blisworth, all with returns, Crick was my favourite even if the dampest!).

Whilst passing through I found myself humming / singing through the theme tune to "The Great Escape" and also " The Dambusters". On our last passage through Blisworth passed a boat with the helmsman singing his way through "Abide with me"!. I briefly changed to "for those in peril on the sea" before reverting to a rousing Dambusters!!

I am sure we are not a minority in singing our way through the tunnels, what are your preferred music choices?

I'm no singer so it has to be electronic reproductions for me

Faithless - Salva Mea (the original full length version not the radio edit or anything else)

closely followed by Insomnia (Moody Mix) or God is a DJ (Yes He Is)

tunnels add some very interesting reverb and resonance

I could sing anything I bloomin' well wanted, but it would not be heard above the beat of my 2LW. I don't do long tunnels (I've inherited the family claustrophobia) so I couldn't do extended versions of songs as there would not be time. Newbold and Snarestone are about my comfortable limit.

Perhaps 'At The Dark End Of The Street' would fit the bill.

All good fun (not) but I hope no one is shouting for help whilst anybody is doing this.

Hence why I hum...thought for a bout 2secs about sticking the stereo on, but then thought better of it!

Blisworth seemed the longest the other day (best part of 3km long), As it was overcast when about a third of the way in you couldn't see either entrance! As there was no other boats at the time (though in Braunston there was 8 at one stage) it was very creepy...hence why I started singing away to myself! I am a deep water sailor man and not used to being afloat on an enclosed space like a tunnel !

Slightly off topic, whats the longest tunnel in the uk?

Slightly further off topic, taking your question literally, it's the Northern Line of the London Underground at 27,800m.

The Channel tunnel is longer, but half of it is in France so that part doesn't count...

But you probably meant canal tunnel, so yes it's Standedge.

Slightly further off topic, taking your question literally, it's the Northern Line of the London Underground at 27,800m.

The Channel tunnel is longer, but half of it is in France so that part doesn't count...

What a great Pub Quiz question! Lateral thinking required.