new boat owner ,clear the way

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

Merely a question .... Didn't CRT announce recently that (like cars) licences don't transfer to new owners?

Or did I make it up?

From 1st May 2015.

You now need insurance in your name, and the BSS before you buy the boat (or can licence it)

This means that the instant you buy the boat it is unlicensed, and if you licence it the day you buy it the licence will be backdated to the start of the month, AND, as you are in effect licensing it 'late' you do not get your early payment deduction.

What you need to do is to buy the boat (say) the middle of the month and licence it from the 1st of the following month - hoping that the seller has not notified C&RT of the sale and therefore C&RT have cancelled the licence and you become subject to enforcement for an unlicensed boat.

It really has not been thought thru' !!!!

I didn't realise it was that much of a rip-off, but why be surprised?

OP would be advised to note this if/when he completes purchase, also he should challenge the vendor as the advert states it is licensed until end of August, 2015. If he completes before then it won't be and he will need to pay from August 1.

As Alan says above he's best to licence it from September.

I didn't realise it was that much of a rip-off, but why be surprised?

OP would be advised to note this if/when he completes purchase, also he should challenge the vendor as the advert states it is licensed until end of August, 2015. If he completes before then it won't be and he will need to pay from August 1.

As Alan says above he's best to licence it from September.

cheers for that

We sold Innisfree last month, it was licensed until December and CRT transferred the new owner to the licence.

Right hand - left hand !!!!!!!!!!!

From C&RTs T&Cs

7.10 You must notify us in writing within 14 days when you sell the Boat or transfer ownership to another person. You must tell us to whom you have sold or transferred the Boat. If you do not let us know the details of the new owner or keeper, the Boat will remain registered in your name and you will continue to be responsible for it (including payment of future Licence fees, sums payable under Conditions 6.4 and 6.5, and the costs of any related legal action).

7.11 The Licence is personal to you in respect of the Boat. Except in the case of a Gold Licence (see Schedule 3) you cannot transfer the Licence to any person in any circumstances or to another boat you may acquire. Accordingly the Licence cannot be sold, given to anyone or be inherited by anyone.

Why should the new owner tell CART they have sold? And if they don't how will CART know its not licensed?

The 'old' owner must tell C&RT otherwise you remain legally liable for any licence infringements etc etc.

The day you tell C&RT you have sold it is the day it becomes un-licensed.

Right hand - left hand !!!!!!!!!!!

From C&RTs T&Cs

7.10 You must notify us in writing within 14 days when you sell the Boat or transfer ownership to another person. You must tell us to whom you have sold or transferred the Boat. If you do not let us know the details of the new owner or keeper, the Boat will remain registered in your name and you will continue to be responsible for it (including payment of future Licence fees, sums payable under Conditions 6.4 and 6.5, and the costs of any related legal action).

7.11 The Licence is personal to you in respect of the Boat. Except in the case of a Gold Licence (see Schedule 3) you cannot transfer the Licence to any person in any circumstances or to another boat you may acquire. Accordingly the Licence cannot be sold, given to anyone or be inherited by anyone.

The 'old' owner must tell C&RT otherwise you remain legally liable for any licence infringements etc etc.

The day you tell C&RT you have sold it is the day it becomes un-licensed.

CRT did state that the new owner could only be transferred if the license had been paid in full and in advance.

CRT did state that the new owner could only be transferred if the license had been paid in full and in advance.

That was allowed under the pre-May 2015 T&Cs, but not in the Post-May 2015 T&Cs.

Maybe C&RT staff need some training ? to give a consistent message.

It is repeated in Schedule 4

Change of details

In accordance with Condition 7.12, the Licence is personal to you and cannot be transferred.

The Licence is specific to the Boat and to you so it is important that you notify us if anything changes.

We can take change of home address information by telephone, but if you change the name of the Boat, if your Home Mooring changes, or if you sell or give the Boat to someone else you must let us know in writing. You should include details of any changed names, addresses or telephone numbers.

We will record any change to the name of the Boat, so that the next licence issued carries the new name. We will not issue new licence discs before the current licence expires unless you specifically request this (a £20 charge applies for the replacement).

If you do not let us know the new owner’s or broker’s details, the Boat will remain registered in your name and you will be responsible for its future licensing.

I was not allowed to transfer my fully paid up in advance licence when I sold our NB in early July

Edited by Alan de Enfield

We sold Innisfree last month, it was licensed until December and CRT transferred the new owner to the licence.

Ha, excellent.

Cars licenses can't be transferred, and they are also only refunded in wholes months. The gifts.

Daniel

Nice boat we actually passed it a few weeks ago I think while passing through barbridge.

It took me a few passes through the photos to figure out the layout but if it's stern-bathroom-galley-saloon-bedroom-bow then it's not one of seen before but makes a lot of sense in my mind.