Homeless living on canal & riversides

Ray T

Featured Posts

I take the point about the Lib Dems but under Labour and Tory governments mental health was largely forgotten , difficult to measure with KPIs and waiting times I guess. In my view it's not all about money it's more about understanding and listening to what's needed by those on the ground and then allocated money accordingly.

Those responsible for allocating benefits also need to be be trained more about mental illness to save the unnecessary withdrawal of support or the rules need to be reviewed to take this into account.

They are trained to spot the mentally ill as the easiest target for withdrawal of benefits , its policy ,targets are set .

Hey! man, you look like a drug dealer with that hoodie,dark shades and mischievous grin. whats the story on a bit of spliff?cool.pngblink.pngwacko.pngunsure.pngtongue.png

I'm a fine upstanding pillar of society who, like some of the scruffy boat owners, enjoys misdirecting people into making incorrect assumptions about me. :D

(What sort of spliff were you thinking of?)

Which doesn't unfortunately explain why my daughter isn't entitled to claim, despite what that article says.

I'd imagine the article was aimed at a wider audience, rather than being specific to your daughter's financial hardship.

There are lots of other articles available, Google helps, you can indeed claim benefits if you earn up to £150,000. Which is nonsense of course, when people with real problems are being neglected.

I'd imagine the article was aimed at a wider audience, rather than being specific to your daughter's financial hardship.

There are lots of other articles available, Google helps, you can indeed claim benefits if you earn up to £150,000. Which is nonsense of course, when people with real problems are being neglected.

Show us then, as examples, not press. This isn't the case, it's mean tested over 60k

And anyway, when did you start believing the guardian?

Edited by Wanted

Where did I refer to my daughter being in 'financial hardship'?

The welfare state is there to help those who are financially needy, is it not? If someone isn't suffering financial hardship they should have no need to attempt to claim benefits. Especially as there are lots of genuinely needy people who are really suffering from various cuts.

Edited by Ricco1

More money could be made available for those suffering from mental health issues if benefits given to people who aren't needy were curtailed.

Universal free t.v. licences and winter fuel payments for pensioners, then childcare for people who earn £150,000 a year spring easily to mind. I'm sure there are others.

I've been a pensioner for 7 years and have yet to get a sniff of a free TV license, yes I do get winter fuel allowance but that has been reduced and will probably soon disappear. I have not had any increase in my income since retiring as each time my state pension had been increased the DWP has reduced my pension saving credit by an equal amount. I now receive no pension credit and last time my pension was increased I found I was paying income tax. So stop picking on OAPs, we are just an easy target.

And while I am in rant mode, free bus travel doesn't benefit me either as w have no bus services ay all in these parts.

Phil

The welfare state is there to help those who are financially needy, is it not? If someone isn't suffering financial hardship they should have no need to attempt to claim benefits. Especially as there are lots of genuinely needy people who are really suffering from various cuts.

You still haven't addressed the point I see.

You were actually talking about free child care which in a technical sense is not a a benefit for those in financial hardship. It is means to allow people to return to work in order that they do not need to rely on benefits. But whatever my daughter discovered the 'hype' in the article you posted was pretty well just that.

You still haven't addressed the point I see.

You were actually talking about free child care which in a technical sense is not a a benefit for those in financial hardship. It is means to allow people to return to work in order that they do not need to rely on benefits. But whatever my daughter discovered the 'hype' in the article you posted was pretty well just that.

Me too. Brought up four children and never got a penny towards childcare costs, and we were on a good deal less than the £150k a year Ricco1 says gets childcare paynments.

What rubbed salt in was the fact that the childcare costs were essential expenditure for us both to work self employed, but not a penny was tax deductible.

I'm sure if not you, your wife would have got children's allowance. If that's the right term. Basically an amount of money from the government for each child. What you spent this on would have been up to you but it could have gone on childcare .

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

Food and clothes are essential to enable one to work, but they aren't tax deductible either. It's a wicked world.

Actually that is not totally correct.

There are some circumstances where costs associated with certain types of clothing you wear for work is indeed tax deductible.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/uniforms-work-clothing-and-tools

Food and clothes are essential to enable one to work, but they aren't tax deductible either. It's a wicked world.

Actually that is not totally correct.

There are some circumstances where costs associated with certain types of clothing you wear for work is indeed tax deductible.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/uniforms-work-clothing-and-tools

I'm very glad that MJG was disputing the tax status, not the clothing required part of this!

I've always wondered why clothes aren't free, since it is illegal to walk around without any on!

Come on Nanny State, why aren't you buying my clothes for me?