Homeless living on canal & riversides

Ray T

Featured Posts

I'm guessing raise capital by crowd sourcing, setup some model of governance to preclude meddling by idiots. I'm basically very right wing in a lot of areas, right to buy isn't one of them, probably more to the left than Corbyn on this.

How long before the government forced the right to buy on them?

I think one reason for the lack of "Nurses Homes" (as we used to know them) is that for what ever reason (Personally I blame Maggie) there is a view that home owning is the be all and end all of living and if you aren't aiming for that you are somehow doing things wrongly.

The reason home-ownership is popular is that it offers huge economic benefits. With the mortgage paid off you are paying nothing, whereas a rent-payer pays rent for ever. Furthermore, there is usually a huge capital gain.

These are enormous advantages, but home-ownership isn't an option in the South East if you can't afford to buy thanks to ludicrous property prices.

Governments either need to pay essential staff more in high-rent areas, or provide subsidised housing. At the moment it is doing neither, and the consequences will soon be apparent.

Many a time and oft I have stated that the maximum fully supported population is about twenty five million souls. At that density we could produce all the food the nation needs. Just imagine the environmental benefits?. But that is off topic, mea culpa.

Fully agree. England is more densely populated than China, India and Holland. It's ridiculous.

Edited by George94

You lost me there, is that the answer to London nursing problem?

Not just the London nursing problem, many, most maybe, problems here, and around the world. The politicians are either too blind to see or perhaps more realistically, realise that it would be difficult to be elected if they suggested policies that reflected this.

I feel a John Cleese and Two Ronnies sketch coming on.

Haha, you certainly Know Your Place! :)

Athy was right - what I meant was that there's loads-a-money for plastering yourselves with tattoos (tattooes?)(check spelling. Ed.) and plenty of time for wringing your hands about the poor sleeping under canal bridges.

Perhaps you could wake them up and show them your tattoos?

Where to get nurses? Duh? British nurses - what's wrong with them? Give them a decent salary and humane working conditions for starters.

Ricco1 has a point - go to Sainsburys/Tescos and see the trolleys groaning under all that weight of the 'food' (sugar-starch-fat-salt) - again, plenty of money for so many who gorge themselves to heart-attack/stroke status and overburden the NHS. Restaurants and pubs in Britain are jam-packed with eaters & drinkers - yet there's "No Money" or "Lack of Resources" don't-cha-know.

There are far too many people living in Britain.

There is rubbish everywhere in Britain, in hedges, canals full of plastic bottles, filthy streets - are there any other animals-plants-or-minerals that mess up their nest so much?

There's plenty of money to buy fancy cars and petrol/diesel. And all the airports have plenty of passengers... who don't really need to fly off to exotic destinations. Or do they?

Start with your local politicians - they are your leaders/servants. Go round to their house and make your feelings known. It all starts with them. Remember, they wanted you to elect them. Now go and ask them why. And ask the Council to show you all the councillors' expenses records - and question them.

This thread has completely lost the plot, if you ever spent some time on the streets or working in a Hostel you would realise most of the people who sleep rough are Born British not mostly imigrants.

Their has been too much blame given to imigration, the thread was about homeless people sleeping rough on the canals.

I slept on the streets and talked with other street sleepers they are some of the most decent people you could ever chat to.

Anyone of you could end up on the streets at any time.

Personally i thought posting the picture of a rough sleeper was a bit of an invasion of his right of privacy, if someone took a picture of you in that situation would you like it plastered all over the internet.........................sad.png people are too judgemental.

it makes me want to puke.

Edited by brassedoff
  • Greenie 4

It was my personal opinion from past experiences, everyone has had their say i just said my view on it.

It was not by any means to provoke any war, it is a discussion thats all.

But no one has said the homeless people are immigrants nor has anyone passed judgement on them

• Greenie 1

if you ever spent some time on the streets or working in a Hostel you would realise most of the people who sleep rough are Born British not mostly imigrants.

Their has been too much blame given to imigration, the thread was about homeless people sleeping rough on the canals.

To be fair, most of the rough sleepers shown in the film clip did appear to be from overseas. I realise that you speak from experience, but most of us can't, so we can only go by what we see and hear.

Regarding the invasion of privacy question: I don't think so, as the photo was taken in a public place. If I was walking along a road and someone took my photo I would have nothing to complain about (though it might bust the camera), whereas if I was sitting in my lounge and someone took a snap through the window, then that would be an invasion of my privacy.

But no one has said the homeless people are immigrants nor has anyone passed judgement on them

Most of the whole thread was taken over by imigration, blaming imigration for the shortage of housing.

The thread was about rough sleepers on canals, most of the people who are rough sleepers are not their because of housing shortages, they are their because their means of housing support were removed when they needed it most due to issues such as substance misuse / Mental Health Issues and many other issues..

To be fair, most of the rough sleepers shown in the film clip did appear to be from overseas. I realise that you speak from experience, but most of us can't, so we can only go by what we see and hear.

Regarding the invasion of privacy question: I don't think so, as the photo was taken in a public place. If I was walking along a road and someone took my photo I would have nothing to complain about (though it might bust the camera), whereas if I was sitting in my lounge and someone took a snap through the window, then that would be an invasion of my privacy.

The Canal is a public place, i dont want to get into where and when photo's should not be taken but common sense should be relevant in the case of taking a picture of a guy who is down on his luck and sleeping on cobbles.

Taking the picture is one thing but putting on the internet closedeyes.gif

Decent humanity/respect towards a fellow man is much better than rules and regulations.

Edited by brassedoff
  • Greenie 1

It was my personal opinion from past experiences, everyone has had their say i just said my view on it.

It was not by any means to provoke any war, it is a discussion thats all.

It was not directed at you Brassedoff.But more of a general feeling on the way things are going judging by the mood on here of late.

It was not directed at you Brassedoff.But more of a general feeling on the way things are going judging by the mood on here of late.

No worrys Pquinn smile.png

I guess some subjects are difficult to talk about on forums, theirs lots of different views.

I will leave the thread alone now, maybe its too close to my heart strings.mellow.png

Edited by brassedoff

Taking the picture is one thing but putting on the internet closedeyes.gif

Decent humanity/respect towards a fellow man is much better than rules and regulations.

Perhaps the person who posted the photo did so for a humane reason: to alert as many people as possible to the unfortunate circumstances of this man and others like him.

This thread has completely lost the plot, if you ever spent some time on the streets or working in a Hostel you would realise most of the people who sleep rough are Born British not mostly imigrants.

I slept on the streets and talked with other street sleepers they are some of the most decent people you could ever chat to.

Anyone of you could end up on the streets at any time.

Personally i thought posting the picture of a rough sleeper was a bit of an invasion of his right of privacy, if someone took a picture of you in that situation would you like it plastered all over the internet.........................sad.png people are too judgemental.

it makes me want to puke.

BBC survey recently found that 80% of rough sleepers in London were illegal or economic immigrants.

BBC survey recently found that 80% of rough sleepers in London were illegal or economic immigrants.

I dont believe Television Surveys, Tv's are used as propaganda to make people fall in line with goverment belief's and decisions.

The BBC is renowned for only reporting what they want too,

I would imagine different parts of the country does vary though.

Edited by brassedoff

Can you link us to that please, I'd be interested to see how they conducted the survey.

I have found a survey from Crisis that does show a lot of immigrants sleep rough but no mention of any of them being illegal so like you would like to see the link

http://www.crisis.org.uk/data/files/publications/Homelessness_Monitor_England_2015_final_web.pdf